Sign in with
Your question

Budget Store Build

Last response: in Systems
August 30, 2011 3:49:08 AM

I am putting together a Point of Sale computer for my store and want to make sure that there won't be any major issues. What does every one think?

Primary use:
- QuickBooks
- Google Docs
- Streaming training videos (watching on large TV)

MSI 880GM-E43
Athlon II X4 640
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB
WD Caviar Green 500GB

I already have a DVD/CD combo burner (pata) but would consider getting a Blu-ray player if/when the under $60 models come back in stock.

I already have a case with a Macron mpt-251 power supply. Will that work with this board? If not, does anyone have a suggestion for a PSU and/or case combo? I was thinking something like:

COOLER MASTER Elite RC-330-KKR1

The computer sits tucked away under the counter and not where it will likely ever get hit by feet, chairs, etc so the case doesn't need to be super tough.

I already have monitor and keyboard/mouse.

Preferred store: NewEgg and amazon

Thanks for the help

More about : budget store build

August 30, 2011 5:41:36 AM

I can vouch for the Athlon II X4 640. It's what I'm running now!

It is outdated though, and I'd go with an i3-2100. The i3-2105 if you plan on not having a descrete graphics card.
August 30, 2011 6:08:43 AM

boeing114 said:
I can vouch for the Athlon II X4 640. It's what I'm running now!

It is outdated though, and I'd go with an i3-2100. The i3-2105 if you plan on not having a descrete graphics card.

We don't plan on ever doing anything that would need a GPU. The most the system will ever do, in terms of video, would be Blu-ray playback and the mobo seems sufficient for that.

The primary use of the computer is to process sales (credit cards) and keep books, so we were going more bang-for-the-buck than power/performance. According to www.cpubenchmark.net, the X4 640 gives more CPU/$. Are there other benchmark sites that people prefer?

Typically we have QB 2010 Retail open plus the CC processing tool, IE, FF, Safari and Chrome with a normal combined total of 20 windows to maintain connections to the various sales portals for Directv, Clear, our suppliers, google docs/cal/gmail, etc.

I would like to order tuesday night so that everything gets here by friday so I can build/install when our assistant is at the store with me on Saturday.

Is there anything about this set that I should be worried about? Any problems connecting an old-school dvd burner (eide/ata cable)? It looks like it will work, but if it won't then I'll order a sata replacement now.

Thanks again.
!