Sign in with
Your question

XFX radeon hd 6870 problems??

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 27, 2011 10:01:12 PM

Hey everyone,

I would like some help with figuring out why my new computer will not work with the video card i have bought

System specs

Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
AMD Phenom X2 1090T
Patriot 8gb Ram
Western digital 1Terabyte 7200 Rpm 6GB/s Sata 3
XFX radeon hd 6870
750W OCZ Fatality Power Supply

Heres the deal. I built my first computer. Got everything but the video card working. I actually sent the card back for a replacement after a couple weeks of trying different things with no success. they said it was faulty and sent me a replacement. Weird thing is the replacement does the exact same thing. Cant get computer to boot from the card at all. Fan spins and its getting power. Boot seems fine but there is no video on the monitor. If i disable onboard graphics and try to boot I get a bunch of beeps (too fast to count or make sense of) I also cannot get windows to detect the card at all. Its well seated and I have tried using it in both PCI slots....

What am i doing wrong???? I dont think this should be that big of a problem. But 3 weeks after putting the damn thing together I would like it to finally work.

Any help would be great!!!!!!! Please...
a b U Graphics card
June 27, 2011 10:07:09 PM

Make sure the card is in very tight, worst case scenario, is that you got another bad one :/ 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 28, 2011 3:06:19 AM

Power connectors are connected ? reseat them along with the card
m
l
Related resources
a c 214 U Graphics card
June 28, 2011 3:11:23 AM

You should try to look up in the Mobo's manual what those beeps mean,they do mean something.Also look up the PCI installion process.

If you still can't get the card to work after it was replaced then it seems like it could be the mobo.Even tho you tryed it in both slots their could be a faulty chip thats not functioning right which would mess it all up.

Can/Have you tryed the card in a different computer?

Is it one long beep or are their many beeps?
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
June 28, 2011 11:03:10 AM

if the pc doesnt display its not necessarily the vid card. could be bad ram for example. if you have 2 sticks of ram, try each one on their own. thats a good place to start,.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 28, 2011 11:24:33 AM

try another graphics card in your machine, one sure way of finding the prob
m
l
June 28, 2011 3:41:06 PM

Will try the ram thing. Have tried unplugging and plugging in both the power connectors and the actual card...wish i had another graphics card lying around to try but i don't. I plan on taking the comp to a computer repair shop so they can test the card and motherboard for me since im not exactly a tech guru. Thanks guys, ill keep you posted.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 29, 2011 8:17:46 AM

what area r u in
m
l
June 29, 2011 4:00:41 PM

Oklahoma.... yeah i know, crap hole of the country. Friendly people though.
m
l
June 29, 2011 4:01:40 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
if the pc doesnt display its not necessarily the vid card. could be bad ram for example. if you have 2 sticks of ram, try each one on their own. thats a good place to start,.

How does the ram affect the video card? jw.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
June 29, 2011 9:53:35 PM

^ any failed component can cause no display. ive seen psu's, pci cards, motherboards, ram all cause no display. If something else fails before the bios can initialise the video card, you get no display.
m
l
June 29, 2011 9:59:01 PM

good to know. Thanks.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 30, 2011 7:41:27 AM

if u was in the uk i was going to send you my old 8600gt to try in your machine
m
l
June 30, 2011 3:16:43 PM

thanks! I appreciate the gesture.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 1, 2011 7:52:34 AM

have you got any friends that will let you use theirs just to try
m
l
July 1, 2011 3:47:14 PM

I actually took it in to a repair shop to have them test the system. They were able to run another video card in it just fine, however they didn't have a machine with a power supply that could be used to test the card other than mine. So at least we know the mb isn't an issue. Doesn't say much about the card without testing it in another computer though....

No, no one I know has a rig that can power this kind of card. But I will keep looking.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
July 1, 2011 4:54:33 PM

You've probably already tryed this but,Have you tryed disabling the onboard video?
m
l
August 9, 2011 2:19:37 PM

I wonder if you still have this problem, but I had the same thing. Same motherboard and Graphics card. Just wondering, did you disable the onboard graphics card with device manager?
m
l
!