Geforce gts 450 on a 500w Coolermaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

mauler184

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
I have a question. I was looking at my box of my evga geforce gts 450 and i realized it said "400w requirement and 22 amps on the 12v rail. Is it compined on both rails?

Will my psu support it?

+12v1=18a
+12v2=18a
-12v=.5a

P.S Both are still in the box shrink wrapped. should i just return the psu?

Solution
its not a good psu, but should be enough for the gts 450 if bundled with lower power cpu and 1 hard drive. Return the PSU now if you can. As said above, brands you cant really go wrong with are corsair, antec, seasonic and xfx (made by seasonic). Generally all the psu's those four manufacturers make always produce their rated power or more. Unfortunately there does not seem to be any false advertising law to stop PSU manufacturers from mis-labeling their power supplies to produce power that they can not. I dont know how they get away with it, but they do......really boggles my mind. probably 70% of the PSU's on the market couldn't produce their rated power.
That Cooler Master 500watt PSU you have is only capable of delievring 360watts on the 12/v rail.Which is really really poor for a 500watt power supply but can still techninally support the GTS450 and the rest of the system but it still isn't a good idea to run it with such a poor PSU.

I would suggest returning it and get this Antec PSU.

Antec EarthWatts 500 watt PSU $65 + Free Shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371035

It's $15 more but it is a TRUE 500watt PSU thats capable of deleivering 440 watts on the 12/v which is capable of SLI ing a pair of GTS450's.

its not a good psu, but should be enough for the gts 450 if bundled with lower power cpu and 1 hard drive. Return the PSU now if you can. As said above, brands you cant really go wrong with are corsair, antec, seasonic and xfx (made by seasonic). Generally all the psu's those four manufacturers make always produce their rated power or more. Unfortunately there does not seem to be any false advertising law to stop PSU manufacturers from mis-labeling their power supplies to produce power that they can not. I dont know how they get away with it, but they do......really boggles my mind. probably 70% of the PSU's on the market couldn't produce their rated power.

Solution

mauler184

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
Thanks, but I think I'm going to keep it. It's enough for me and I don't think it's worth the hassle. I can just Call the warranty center if it breaks down on me. Thank you so much for your help though!

hyder13

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011

what about thermaltake psu?

^thermaltake put out some pretty bad psu's lately and they are generally overpriced for what you get and go out of spec under high load. I have a thermaltake psu, but that was bought around 5 years ago for a good price. I wouldnt buy one again seeing all the latest reviews of them. You can do a lot worse than thermaltake though.

Status
Not open for further replies.