CeleRon+SBAWE64+RivaTNT=DistortedSound?

G

Hi Ive Been running a Celeron 366 oc'd to 450 and ive noticed that whenever I view a Webpage with lots of text and i scroll thru that text, or even just viewing regular webpages, my Sound becomes garbage, Even playing diablo2,... the little Fire Animation kills music...,It seems the more graphic intensive the more the sound playing becomes degridated. Is there any Solution to this? Ive tried new sound card drivers, New Video Card drivers, Underclocking the Cpu.

Celeron 366 oc/458
Commate P2BXB-V
SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold
Graphics Blaster RivaTNT
are these parts somehow incompatible..has anyone else had this problem?

G

Check to make sure that your sound card and your video card are not sharing IRQs.

G

Definitely make sure the video card and sound card aren't sharing IRQ's. Also if you're using 3D sound, games tend to slow down if you don't have enough RAM in your system (at least 128mb or more).

G

They arent Shareing IRQ. and i dont mean the games are slowing down. I mean i could be sitting there on a fresh reboot, turn on my winamp and play a song....Its playing nice and clear, Then i turn on Internet Explorer, The screen pops up and the musice distorts for a second, i type in my webpage ANY webpage and as i scroll thru it the music becomes total distorted., As i mentioned about diablo ANY Animation on screen Kills the sound too.. in words it becomes Garbled,Ripped,Scratched. Man...Even Those animation Web Banners distort my sound as they move around doing their little thing.

I dont know what to say, I changed video cards and it still is the problem, Hasnt anyone had this problem before?

priit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have exactly same problem with my TnT&SBLive under linux. XMMS 2D-plugins screw up sound. I don't have that problem under Winblows, thougt...

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
According to creative labs tech support, who I called on the same problem using a sblvalue with tnt2ultra and a gforce ddr, the interfierence is caused by poor motherboard sheilding of emi (electromagnetic interfierence) caused by the faster agp bus. In some apps, where the agp is stressed the sound card can't handle it. The solutions givin to me, both of which worked, were
1. To drop your agp to 1x, and drop your hardware sound excelleration.
or
2. Try it on a newer motherboard. These have a shielded agp slot.

"Are you saying that I can dodge bullets?"

priit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This is interesting, cause the 3D-games doesn't cause any sound disortion at all (games like UT should cause more AGP traffic than simple 2D-graphics drawing, I think). Also, OpenGL apps under linux doesn't do anything bad to sound quality, too. Only when using heavy 2D-graphics under linux (SDL 2D-plugins for XMMS, scrolling web pages with lots of pictures etc.), cracks and pops appear. BTW I have K6-2+ on AOpen AX59Pro MB (VIA MVP3 chipset). I think I will buy V3 instead of TnT if I can't find any solution...

misu

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
same thing happened to me using an old voodoo rush PCI, so that agp shielding is crap. Changed now about all and more problem. I can hear my hard drive in my booster when i have at least one sound in turned on and around 50%.

For the winamp part: Are you using arboretum realizer? Because then you will need a faster proc, that's all.

Misu
__'_