Cheapest motherboard for nvidia 430

soulchief

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
I bought a GTX 430 GPU to replace a GPU in my girlfriends PC that was no longer working, but now I found out that GPU doesn't work on the motherboard.

What motherboard and CPU would be the cheapest to run this GPU? It's not used to play any recent games, and there's a tight budget. I believe her current ram is DDR2, so something that can use DDR2 would be preferred as well.

What's happening with that card on her motherboard? Does the board not have a PCI-express slot? Motherboards supporting DDR2 are a bit dated by now since DDR3 has become standard.

Anyway, try these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116694
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157173

The CPU is listed as "refurbished" as new CPUs for that socket haven't been made in a few years now.

Solution

soulchief

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

The card is giving an "Error 43" message in device manager (It does recognize it and installs the driver, i've also tried to manually installing the driver through Nvidia). I took the card and put it into my new PC and it worked instantly. I'm getting her to reformat the PC tomorrow just to make sure it's not software that is causing the issue. She used to have an ATI card but I've uninstalled the drivers for it.

Her current motherboard is http://www.asrock.com/mb/VIA/4CoreDual-VSTA/

What happened to her old ATI card (that board has AGP as well as PCIe - which was the old card)? Is it possible to test her old card on a different machine? If it's not the card and not software (definitely test that first), it's the board. Short of the expense of building a whole new PC, a board like the one I listed is one of few options left on the market for DDR2/socket 775. You may be able to re-use the CPU if needed (what is it?).

Regor245

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
I guess your GF's motherboard has PCI-e 1.0?

Before you make a move.. try this... Clean Installtion.

Try using Driver Sweeper, Uninstall ATI Drivers and also the Nvidia Drivers then install Nvidia. drivers again

soulchief

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Her old ATI card fan died, so it was overheating. It was using the AGP slot. I don't remember what CPU she has. I think it was an Intel chip but not 100% sure. But since its the same socket as the motherboard you suggested, I guess I won't need to replace the CPU. It very well could be that the PCIe slot was defective from the start.

I'll have to check the BIOS again, but I believe when I checked before it auto detected PCIe.

Well it definitely is an Intel chip since Intel and AMD use different and incompatible sockets. It's likely her CPU can be re-used but not certain, particularly on that socket. Because 775 was around so long, the range of CPUs made on the socket starts from single-core Pentium 4 chips to Core 2 Quad (quad-core chips). There is also a wide range of chipsets made for that socket, with the board I suggested using a newer chipset which might not get along with an older chip like a p4. Do check just to be sure!

soulchief

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Hmm, that just sparked my memory, its a Core 2 Duo (2.0GHz if I recall).

soulchief

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Ahh that's good! Hopefully after reformatting it tomorrow, I don't have to worry about it at all. Fixing old PCs is a pain, would rather hear "Build a new PC, don't worry about fixing this one".