D-Link DI-604 vs Linksys BEFSR41

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
Hi everyone..
By some accident, I ended up having these two routers.
I'm using DI-604, most of time it works fine, but sometimes I would have some weird disconnecting problems.
Now I got the Linksys BEFSR41, I was wondering which one is better and why?

We use Internet for: P2P sharing (BT, eMule), instant messenging..and I wish that the router could protect my LAN.

Thanks for your time in advance!

RichPLS

Champion
I have teh DI 604 and it is solid. No problems here. Did you update the BIOS. THere are two versions, depending on the processors within. I have teh older one, check out Dlinks site.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

riser

Illustrious
I personally hate D-Link. The Linksys one is my favorite by far. I've had a few problems with the D-Link and doing select things. You'll find more people use the Linksys, the support seems better.
Just my preference, but they'll both work perfectly fine for most things you do.

Riser

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
They are both basically the same thing. From personal experience I'd use the Linksys but it really doesn't matter. BT is goona slap both of those pretty hard (that might cause those disconnects). I wouldnt run more than 1 or 2 torrents at once on a home router. My old netgear melted when I ran like 6, lol. BT even slaps my current dual PIII550 router a bit when doing more than 2 or 3 at once, its proc usage sits at about 30-40%.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

RichPLS

Champion
I use 3 computers networked through the DI-604 plus a 3mbit internet connection. I share docs and Acad drawings/projects on main machine (server) and all data files are accessed through 100mbit connections on router, and have not had a problem with it in over 3 years, cost $40 new then.
And the D-link 604 is protection as a hardware firewall, and easily configured.

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
3m bits internet connection..that's cable?
I'm using DSL, and it seems that DI-604 has a hard time to handle this, what makes me sick is that sometimes it disconnects, then I see it connecting immediately, once it's connected, it's disconnected immediately, then connected, then disconnected...back and so on, and the only solution is either <b>reset</b> modem, or Router itself.
cuz i'm not the only one who suffered from it, I heard maybe people got this kind of weird problem

However, when it works, DI-604 works flawlessly, and it protects my LAN well, easily configured like you say.
I've updated to latest firmware and see if this problem would be gone..if not, I would try the Linksys one.
One thing I want to know is that on DI-604's box, it says with big titles <b>Hardware Firewall Protection</b>, but on the Linksys one it didn't say anything beside <b>NAT Technology</b> helps you to protection your computers. So I did a bit of research, it seems like it has firewall like the DI-604 one, but Linksys doesn't consider it as a "real" firewall (I guess it's because they have some better model which has "real" firewall), So now I'm not exactly sure which one would offer a better protection..

Thanks for your time, I'm a newbie in this domain... :smile:

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
All home routers are basic firewalls. They are a barrier between you and the internet. Higher end routers that display "firewall router" have true firewall functionality like packet filtering and such. If the router costs less than $100-$200+ it likely does not have true firewall functionality.

RichPLS

Champion
The DI-604 does have the following features:
NAT with VPN Passthrough (Network Address Translation)
MAC Filtering
IP Filtering
URL Filtering
Domain Blocking
Scheduling

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Most other home routers have those features as well.
It is kind of a standard package for them :)

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
Then I believe that DI-604 is somewhat better than BEFSR41 from protection's point of view, i did a bit of research about BEFSR41, here is what I found:

Comparaison of DI-604/BEFSR41 :
NAT with VPN Passthrough (Network Address Translation)
(YES/YES)
MAC Filtering
(YES/YES)
IP Filtering
(YES/YES)
URL Filtering
(YES/NO)
Domain Blocking
(YES/NO)
Scheduling
(YES/NO)

Of course..since I'm new to this domain..there is a great chance that I miss some information..
However, those that BEFSR41 doesn't have, I believe that they can be done through software :smile:

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
The BEFSR41 has been around a long time. There might be a firmware update for it. There are lots of 3rd party frimware updates avaliable for linksys equipment. Maybe there is one with more features you want/need.