Will the bottleneck be horrific?

garylopl

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
So I recently just bought an AMD 6870 while I was on vacation, and I was thinking. Will I be bottlenecked from my AMD 925? I have it at stock 2.8ghz, quad core. How bad do you think it'll be?

Solution

the easiest thing you can do is looking for review. i believe most reviewer will use setup that will not bottleneck the card they test. try looking at games that heavily dependent on gpu such as crysis. if your frame rates are close to the one done by the reviewer then it means you're fine. but if your frame rates are significantly lower than theirs then it's time play around with your cpu clocks :)

browsingtheworld

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Depends on the resolution.... Below 1920x1080 it might be significant. From my memories a 3ghz AMD bottlenecked a 460 and the 6870 is faster.

I would try some games out instead of asking on the forums since I'm just guessing and I'm guessing not many review sites actually try this kind of stuff.

the easiest thing you can do is looking for review. i believe most reviewer will use setup that will not bottleneck the card they test. try looking at games that heavily dependent on gpu such as crysis. if your frame rates are close to the one done by the reviewer then it means you're fine. but if your frame rates are significantly lower than theirs then it's time play around with your cpu clocks :)

Solution