Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte GTX 560TI vs. HIS HD 6950 2GB

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 28, 2011 8:59:57 AM

Hello everyone! I'm having a dilemma in as far as video cards are concerned that the recent SBM hasn't answered. I'm looking at two cards at the exact same price (on amazon.com at least):

Gigabyte SO 560 Ti (950Mhz core clock) and His IceQ X Turbo HD 6950 2 GB (840mhz core clock). As you can see both cards are factory overclocked and they're both the exact same price ($270 from Circuit City with shipping and all).

My question is which of these two cards are better? There's virtually no information on google regarding these. The 840mhz version of the IceQ X isn't reviewed by anyone and the only Gigabyte version of the GTX 560 Ti that you can find any info on is the SOC version (1000 mhz core clock).

So I'm in a bit of a rut. I plan on using these cards for gaming. I want to play the Witcher 2 and Shogun 2 above anything else on these cards. Money is tight, so my budget is $270-280 (at most).

Here's the rest of the stuff:

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This week

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming: Witcher 2, Shogun 2, BC2, etc. (in that order of importance).

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: None/650W Corsair

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: SLI ready moterboard/Crossfire compatible; I5-2500K.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Amazon.com (I can't use my card on newegg.com for some reason)

PARTS PREFERENCES: None

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes (in the future - perhaps as soon as December)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1080p (1920x1080)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: None!

Please help me here :) 
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 28, 2011 9:30:11 AM

Thanks for the quick answer! However, I can't buy from newegg.com and I would like to stick to a factory OC for starters rather than an all out OC. It's hard to believe that, starting from 822 Mhz (or whatever the reference card is) my GTX 560 TI will get to 950mhz with my current set-up and overclocking skills.
Related resources
a c 144 U Graphics card
June 28, 2011 10:00:12 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the quick answer! However, I can't buy from newegg.com and I would like to stick to a factory OC for starters rather than an all out OC. It's hard to believe that, starting from 822 Mhz (or whatever the reference card is) my GTX 560 TI will get to 950mhz with my current set-up and overclocking skills.

well it is quite well known that nvidia fermi is a beast when it comes to overclocking though they have abit of heat and power issue with the first chip (GF100). but they tried to fix that problem since GF104 and the chip beyond that (GF11X).
June 28, 2011 10:08:26 AM

The problem has been fixed since gt104 (the gtx 460).
June 28, 2011 11:30:01 AM

First of all please state which resolution are you going to use..??
If it is 1680 then gigabyte 560 Ti is too much good but if it is 1920 then both cards have somewhat equal performance.I was dealing with the same question a month before and now,
I own a 560Ti, msi GTX560Ti Twin Frozer III oc'ed to 1050 Mhz, and i must say i am not facing any trouble in playing games at 1080p with the settings maxed out.

But for you i would advice, go for a PowerColor 6950 2GB because
1.) it has chances to be flashed into a 6970.
2.) got 2 GB of memory size(an edge over 560Ti if you are playing on higher resolution)
3.) as i own 560Ti i am too much satisfied with the performance but still i am not that much sure if i will be able to run games on max settings in near future, but a 6950 2GB will surely make you future proof.

Actually i am a nvidia fanboy but it is only this time i am suggesting someone to get an ATI over nvidia, but believe me ATI has its own advantages far diff. from nVidia.

So finally its your choice. Enjoy !!
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 28, 2011 2:03:29 PM

Ok... so it seems most people recommend a GTX 560 Ti. I was leaning towards that as the reference 6950s are WAY out of my budget (the cheapeast one on amazon is $300).

I suppose if I add another GTX 560 Ti in SLI in the future that should do the trick (with an obvious power supply upgrade).
June 29, 2011 9:32:32 AM

That will be too much good, infact the sli 560 Ti's are way faster than a gtx580 or a HD6970. Well i will be getting my another 560 Ti in the end of September because rates are supposed to go down once again. So if you are planning for a sli then go for 560 Ti and as you stated, you cant buy from newegg and a reference 6950 on amazon is 300$ then its obvious do not get confused anymore. Go for a 560Ti- either a msi or Gigabyte.
!