Sign in with
Your question

I7-2730QM Performance (vs. Q6600)

Last response: in CPUs
November 29, 2011 3:18:36 PM

Hello,

I'm considering upgrading from Desktop with a Q6600 processor & 4 gb ram to a laptop with a I7-2730QM processor with 8 gb ram. The new laptop will be a ISV certified workstation used for engineering with AutoCAD as the most complex program. Any idea how the new I7 system will compare to the old Q6600?
a c 188 à CPUs
November 29, 2011 3:46:39 PM

Ok lets start off with a couple simple facts. At the same speed the 1st generation Intel® Core™ processors will outperform a Intel Core 2 Quad by around 15% to 20%. The 2nd generation Intel Core processors will outperform the 1st generation Intel Core processors by 10% to 15%. In the end a Intel Core i7-2730Qm should be a fairly good upgrade from the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 in both single threaded and multi-threaded applications. If you are using a processor intensive application you may see around a 30% performance improvement.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 29, 2011 3:48:27 PM

If you need a workstation don't buy a laptop. If you need a workstation and a laptop buy them separately.
m
l
Related resources
November 29, 2011 6:59:16 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
Ok lets start off with a couple simple facts. At the same speed the 1st generation Intel® Core™ processors will outperform a Intel Core 2 Quad by around 15% to 20%. The 2nd generation Intel Core processors will outperform the 1st generation Intel Core processors by 10% to 15%. In the end a Intel Core i7-2730Qm should be a fairly good upgrade from the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 in both single threaded and multi-threaded applications. If you are using a processor intensive application you may see around a 30% performance improvement.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

I apologize - the proposed laptop processor is an Intel Core i7-2630QM (not 2730QM). You say "At the same speed"... My concern is that my existing desktop Q6600 (4 core, 4 thread, 8M Cache) is rated at 2.4 Ghz whereas the proposed Laptop I7-2630QM (4 core, 8 thread, 6M Cache) is only 2.0 GHz with 2.9 Turboboost - whatever that is). So the proposed one is of slower speed; hence the uncertainty.

(Regarding Finneous' comment, I've been torn between going with a new desktop or laptop, but it seems every sole-proprietor is going laptop - perhaps so we can work while on vacation (LOL)).
m
l
a c 188 à CPUs
November 29, 2011 7:54:36 PM

Intel® Turbo Boost is a technology that will monitor the temperature of the processor, the number of cores being used and can clock the speed to the processor up to a higher level all the while keeping your computer safe. If you are running an application Intel Turbo Boost is going to be giving you a boost in your performance one way or other. If you are running a single threaded application you will get more out of Turbo Boost (up to 2.9GHz on the Intel Core™ i7-2630QM) then if you are running all the cores and hyper-threading it will give you a smaller overall boost in performance. I didn't put figures for Turbo Boost into the performance figures that I gave earlier. So without Turbo Boost you are still looking at the performance on the Intel Core i7-2630Qm performing like that of 2.5GHz or faster.

Also with hyper-threading you can run more things at a time or get better in application that are designed for Hyper-threading. Most of the time you won't use it or even know it is there but if you bring up the control panel you will see 8 cores/threads ready to work for you.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
!