I7-2730QM Performance (vs. Q6600)

Blurry

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Hello,

I'm considering upgrading from Desktop with a Q6600 processor & 4 gb ram to a laptop with a I7-2730QM processor with 8 gb ram. The new laptop will be a ISV certified workstation used for engineering with AutoCAD as the most complex program. Any idea how the new I7 system will compare to the old Q6600?

Ok lets start off with a couple simple facts. At the same speed the 1st generation Intel® Core™ processors will outperform a Intel Core 2 Quad by around 15% to 20%. The 2nd generation Intel Core processors will outperform the 1st generation Intel Core processors by 10% to 15%. In the end a Intel Core i7-2730Qm should be a fairly good upgrade from the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 in both single threaded and multi-threaded applications. If you are using a processor intensive application you may see around a 30% performance improvement.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Blurry

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

I apologize - the proposed laptop processor is an Intel Core i7-2630QM (not 2730QM). You say "At the same speed"... My concern is that my existing desktop Q6600 (4 core, 4 thread, 8M Cache) is rated at 2.4 Ghz whereas the proposed Laptop I7-2630QM (4 core, 8 thread, 6M Cache) is only 2.0 GHz with 2.9 Turboboost - whatever that is). So the proposed one is of slower speed; hence the uncertainty.

(Regarding Finneous' comment, I've been torn between going with a new desktop or laptop, but it seems every sole-proprietor is going laptop - perhaps so we can work while on vacation (LOL)).

Intel® Turbo Boost is a technology that will monitor the temperature of the processor, the number of cores being used and can clock the speed to the processor up to a higher level all the while keeping your computer safe. If you are running an application Intel Turbo Boost is going to be giving you a boost in your performance one way or other. If you are running a single threaded application you will get more out of Turbo Boost (up to 2.9GHz on the Intel Core™ i7-2630QM) then if you are running all the cores and hyper-threading it will give you a smaller overall boost in performance. I didn't put figures for Turbo Boost into the performance figures that I gave earlier. So without Turbo Boost you are still looking at the performance on the Intel Core i7-2630Qm performing like that of 2.5GHz or faster.

Also with hyper-threading you can run more things at a time or get better in application that are designed for Hyper-threading. Most of the time you won't use it or even know it is there but if you bring up the control panel you will see 8 cores/threads ready to work for you.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team