eeriestelk

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
I am re-assembling my PC.

My old Motherboard died, I have a new one sitting here ready to go.

Currently I pulled my old SATA drive and installed it into my backup computer as a second drive. When I accessed it I had to change the permissions around.

Now I am wondering if I need to set the permissions prior to re-installing.

My old system has XP and my backup is vista (yeah... I know).

Rather then just put it together and try booting. I figured I would be pre-emptive.

Anyone out there know?

Solution
Hmm, changing the permissions was probably not a good idea especially since you were using the older XP OS when you did it. I can't say for sure whether the system will boot but I suspect that it won't. Also, take ownership is a little more extensive than just changing permissions. The OWNER of a file can usually do things with it that a non-owner can't even if the permissions are the same. Did you have a backup that included a system image?

Before you attempt to put the disk back into the original system make sure you backup all of the data that you are sure to need later.

I would go ahead and try to put it back together and see if it works. As you said you have another HDD in case you need to reload the OS. Don't be...

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
Are you repairing the computer by putting in the exact same model of motherboard or are you putting in a different motherboard from the original? Also, what do you mean by "I had to change the permissions around"? Did you change the permissions in some of the folders or on the entire drive?

If you are using a different model of motherboard your question may be moot because the existing OS may not have the correct drivers to get your system running again. Even if it does, you should always plan on installing the OS from scratch any time you upgrade a motherboard.

eeriestelk

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
It is the exact same motherboard. I have another HD on standby in case I need to reload the OS. I changed the permissions on the entire drive (take ownership to start) I did not document what I changed them too. I did it to access.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
Hmm, changing the permissions was probably not a good idea especially since you were using the older XP OS when you did it. I can't say for sure whether the system will boot but I suspect that it won't. Also, take ownership is a little more extensive than just changing permissions. The OWNER of a file can usually do things with it that a non-owner can't even if the permissions are the same. Did you have a backup that included a system image?

Before you attempt to put the disk back into the original system make sure you backup all of the data that you are sure to need later.

I would go ahead and try to put it back together and see if it works. As you said you have another HDD in case you need to reload the OS. Don't be surprised if the OS reinstalls all of the devices because even though the MOBO is the same model it's still a different piece of hardware with different serial numbers in the BOIS/ROMS etc. If it doesn't work, you could try doing a Repair installation from the install CD.

In the furture, be sure to use a backup program to backup your disks and always include a system image. That will allow you to completely restore your system to working order

Solution