Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Airflow good ?

Last response: in Components
November 29, 2011 3:24:16 PM

airflow ok ? should i add sidefan ? if so should it be 120 mm ? the casing is antec 300 :D 

More about : airflow good

a c 104 ) Power supply
November 29, 2011 3:55:38 PM

Pic link isn't working for me man, maybe photobucket or imageshack link would be better,
can't really say till we see the goods :) 
Moto
Score
Related resources
November 29, 2011 4:24:09 PM

but are they really necessary ? specifically is a side fan needed ?
Score
a b ) Power supply
November 29, 2011 4:28:04 PM

yes, the side will stop heat from building up infront of the cpu, the top one at the top of the case (no really :p )
Score
November 29, 2011 4:40:42 PM

the red one at the top ? that comes with the antec 300 case
Score
a c 274 ) Power supply
November 29, 2011 5:13:39 PM

An Antec 300 has excellent airflow.
To further improve airflow add another front 120mm intake.
Side fans do little imo except add dust.
Score
a b ) Power supply
November 29, 2011 7:56:32 PM

oh sorry, yea side fans arent really nessicary i was thinking of the back fan
Score
November 29, 2011 11:41:04 PM

davcon said:
An Antec 300 has excellent airflow.
To further improve airflow add another front 120mm intake.
Side fans do little imo except add dust.

should i add 2 more fans or 1 would be enough ? i was watching a vid on youtube and the guy in it was telling that if there are more exhaust fans it creates negative pressure leads to dust getting clogged up but if their are more intake fans it creates a postive pressure and the dust is reduced.but if the amount of fans is balanced what would that create ?
Score
November 29, 2011 11:52:04 PM

Two intake fans on the front and one exhaust at the back is best. Positive pressure has other benefits like less dust! Also reason why the Silverstone Raven Series of cases are so awesome
Score
a b ) Power supply
November 29, 2011 11:54:58 PM

nna2 said:
http://postimage.org/image/mzk4z63or/ and add as many fans as you can, there not very expensive and will help airflow alot :p 

completely incorrect, adding as many fans as you can only helps the case brand (since most sell fans also). You will interfere with proper front to back airflow with side fans. :pfff: 
Score
November 29, 2011 11:58:05 PM

I would not add a side fan unless your GPU is getting hot. No reason to add a fan if it is not needed.

+1 to the above suggestion of two 120mm intakes, amount of cfm more important than fan size. I am not exactly certain of what the antec 300 allows in terms of fan size.

What are you current rig temps? what are you trying to get to?

search google "positive or negative air flow" there are tons of threds about the concept.

Here is a pretty good article from toms, its a quick but informal read.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-airflow-hea... part 1
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-air-pressur... part 2

sickleflow by coolermaster are good fans for a reasonable price, newegg has them for free recently with a rebate, green led color though. I think they are about 9.00 without the rebate.
Score
a b ) Power supply
November 29, 2011 11:58:36 PM

spitfire99 said:
should i add 2 more fans or 1 would be enough ? i was watching a vid on youtube and the guy in it was telling that if there are more exhaust fans it creates negative pressure leads to dust getting clogged up but if their are more intake fans it creates a postive pressure and the dust is reduced.but if the amount of fans is balanced what would that create ?

one is fine, the second fan's benefits are not as great as the firsts. Also, the antec 300 has front filters so no need to worry about dust coming in from the grille. I would place a fan filter over the side port though.
Score
a c 274 ) Power supply
November 30, 2011 12:39:55 AM

spitfire99 said:

I've owned that case and ran one 120 front intake,120 rear,and of course the 140 top.
Worked fine like that(quiet too).
Currently run a 902 with rear 120mm,200mm top,2x120mm front intake.
CM 692 - 120mm rear,2x140mm top,140mm front intake.
Have added another 120mm intake to both on hdd cages.(300 doesn't have that option)
Tried the side intake thing and that fan and location in the pc was always dusty.
You're better off adding one or two front intakes imo.
Add an aftermarket hsf like a 212+/Evo if you want or need one.
Fits and cheap = really good performance.
Score
November 30, 2011 8:27:00 AM

so the side fan is not required unless it gets real hot. 2 120mm intake fan on the front and 1 120mm and 1 140mm outake is enough to power my rig and the antec comes with dust filters so dont need to worry about that. is this ok ?
Score
November 30, 2011 8:57:17 AM

fans are better used to direct airflow from the front of the case to the back of the case.
side fans can help if you want to direct more airflow to the expansion slots, mainly gpu, but it depends on the case.
Score
November 30, 2011 2:08:20 PM

but would temp be ok if i dont use side fan. i will be using hd 6790
Score
November 30, 2011 2:11:14 PM

the temps will be fine
Score

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
November 30, 2011 4:56:24 PM

spitfire99 said:
but would temp be ok if i dont use side fan. i will be using hd 6790

you will be fine. in all my builds (including using the antec 300) side fans always increased video card temps (both closed and open). The only build to see a side fan decrease temps was on a passive heatsink video card.
December 1, 2011 8:04:43 AM

dirtyferret said:
you will be fine. in all my builds (including using the antec 300) side fans always increased video card temps (both closed and open). The only build to see a side fan decrease temps was on a passive heatsink video card.

thnx for clearing that out
Score
December 1, 2011 8:05:08 AM

Best answer selected by spitfire99.
Score
!