Will my 8800GTS work in a LGA 1155 Motherboard?

Xerus

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
My last comprehensive computer upgrade was in 2007. I was planning on pushing back the next iteration to September or October to prep for Skyrim, but the recent death of my motherboard's on-board audio has pushed that timeline forward.

I have an EVGA 8800GTS 640mb which is PCI Express x16. I am wondering if I can upgrade to a LG 1155 board without replacing my current graphics card. The board in question is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157229. I'd really rather avoid buying the graphics card at this point so it would be great if this would work.

I'm not worried about performance issues if they aren't too drastic. I just want to avoid the massive outlay of cash that a full upgrade would cause.

My apologies if this has been asked before. I searched pretty extensively before posting to avoid any repeat questions, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Xerus

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011

I've tried this but I can't find anything. I've checked EVGA and Nvidia's websites.

Xerus

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011

I went to ASRock's website and it looks like the board only supports newer generation cards. I.e., GTS 250 - 580. :(

Xerus

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Asus' website is typically miserable and I couldn't find a VGA support list for any of their newer motherboards. I found one on MSI's website, and while they don't specifically mention the 8800gt, they do mention the 8800GT, among other cards of that generation.

Looks like I may be going with an MSI board. I've only ever used Asus before :eek:

Wolfshadw

Titan
I've never heard of an older graphics card not working in a newer motherboard. So long as it's physically compatible (PCI, AGP, PCI-E), it should work. Also, I've had experience with ASRock's VGA Compatibility lists; in particular the 939 Dual SATA II motherboard. As you can see, this list is extremely limited, but it ran every card I tried in it:
ATI Radeon 9200 AGP
NVidia Geforce 7800GS AGP
ATI Radeon X1800XL PCI-E
NVidia Geforce 8800GTS-640 PCI-E

-Wolf sends