Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Laptop windows 7 turns off when playing games after 5 minutes

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 28, 2011 1:06:48 PM

Does anyone know why my laptop would turn off when I play games?

I'm not sure but I don't think it's because of overheating, I use the laptop a lot, mostly for using 3d programs and sometimes can have a lot of programs running at the same time but it works fine. Only when playing games! :/ 

I have updated my graphics driver and replaced the battery that was dying.

I'm using a Samsung R580 if that makes any difference.

Thanks guys
June 29, 2011 12:41:37 PM

I read that you don't think its because of overheating, but you should check the temperatures first because i had the same problem(on a PC) and these are generally due to overheating while playing games(high cpu/gpu usage).

So you should download speedfan- http://www.almico.com/speedfan443.exe and start it before running the game, let speedfan run in background(not inactive in tray but with its window at your desktop), play the game for 3 minutes or so(make sure you exit the game before windows turns off) and then have a look at the temperature graphs of cpu and gpu.

If its overheating there should be steep rise in the graphs towards 100/110 °. If its not anyways post the screenshots of your graphs.
Score
a c 358 U Graphics card
a c 433 D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
June 29, 2011 3:49:36 PM

I'm guessing it is due to overheating.

If possible clear out the dust from the vents. If the bottom of the laptop feels hot after playing a game for a while, then it is overheating. I would also look into purchasing a laptop cooler which is basically a tray with two fans that you put your laptop on top of.
Score
Related resources
!