Connecting laptop to cable-Internet on standalone through ..

LS,

I have a stand-alone with Win98SE and a laptop with WinXP.
These 2 computers are connected to each other through bluetooth
dongles (MSI: type MS6967/ MS6968).
The stand-alone with Win98SE is connected to the internet with a cable
modem (@home)through a network card.
How can I get internet on my laptop (with WinXP) through the Bluetooth
dongle from the standalone (with Win98SE)?
I heard that Winroute Lite is needed. This program is installed on my
stand-alone, but I don't understand how to use it.
Please explain to me step by step (no general clues, please)how to
make internet available on the laptop.

(Some time ago I succeeded to make such connection between my 2
computers. Than I used a dail-up modem, and the concommittant
dial-up-connection-type with my bluetooth dongles; now a want to do
the same with the cable modem, but the dail-up connection type can't
be used).

Wim
5 answers Last reply
More about connecting laptop cable internet standalone

    If you are using Windows XP you can do this with either ICS or Bridge, both
    part of the OS. Have a look in our Bluetooth Guides.

    Depending on what type you use you'll need to assign IP address. ICS will
    implement a mini DHCP server, but requires addresses in the 192.168.0.x
    range. If this is already in use by your cable modem or router then you need
    to use Bridge.

    --
    Mauricio Freitas
    Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):

    "Wim" <wjtrooster@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > LS,
    >
    > I have a stand-alone with Win98SE and a laptop with WinXP.
    > These 2 computers are connected to each other through bluetooth
    > dongles (MSI: type MS6967/ MS6968).
    > The stand-alone with Win98SE is connected to the internet with a cable
    > modem (@home)through a network card.
    > How can I get internet on my laptop (with WinXP) through the Bluetooth
    > dongle from the standalone (with Win98SE)?
    > I heard that Winroute Lite is needed. This program is installed on my
    > stand-alone, but I don't understand how to use it.
    > Please explain to me step by step (no general clues, please)how to
    > make internet available on the laptop.
    >
    > (Some time ago I succeeded to make such connection between my 2
    > computers. Than I used a dail-up modem, and the concommittant
    > dial-up-connection-type with my bluetooth dongles; now a want to do
    > the same with the cable modem, but the dail-up connection type can't
    > be used).
    >
    > Wim

    Dear M.,

    The problem is that WinXP is too "heavy" for my stand-alone, so that
    there I use Win98SE. Therefore your answer gives me 10% of my
    solution.

    Any clue how to implement the whole story - step by step(!)?

    Wim
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    Win 98 SE has built-in Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). You don't
    need Winroute Lite(althought it works slightly better).

    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics

    When the instructions refer to the ethernet card for the LAN, replace
    the term with your BT LAN hookup.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    There's an ICS component on Win98SE, but not installed by default. You can
    install it rom Add/Remove Programs, change to Windows Components. another
    option is to use a program called NAT32 (www.nat32.com) to create the
    routing and nat necessary. You can then have a look in our Bluetooth Guides.
    Down the page there's a guide for sharing connections between computers.

    > Dear M.,
    >
    > The problem is that WinXP is too "heavy" for my stand-alone, so that
    > there I use Win98SE. Therefore your answer gives me 10% of my
    > solution.
    >
    > Any clue how to implement the whole story - step by step(!)?
    >
    > Wim
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    While Maurico's Sites are EXCELLENT, in the case of a WIN98SE being the
    "server or Main Machine" so to speak, you can also take a look at this site
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com which specializes in every avenue of ICS
    and has detailed instructions, and in this case may be better suited to help
    you.

    "Wim" <wjtrooster@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > LS,
    >
    > I have a stand-alone with Win98SE and a laptop with WinXP.
    > These 2 computers are connected to each other through bluetooth
    > dongles (MSI: type MS6967/ MS6968).
    > The stand-alone with Win98SE is connected to the internet with a cable
    > modem (@home)through a network card.
    > How can I get internet on my laptop (with WinXP) through the Bluetooth
    > dongle from the standalone (with Win98SE)?
    > I heard that Winroute Lite is needed. This program is installed on my
    > stand-alone, but I don't understand how to use it.
    > Please explain to me step by step (no general clues, please)how to
    > make internet available on the laptop.
    >
    > (Some time ago I succeeded to make such connection between my 2
    > computers. Than I used a dail-up modem, and the concommittant
    > dial-up-connection-type with my bluetooth dongles; now a want to do
    > the same with the cable modem, but the dail-up connection type can't
    > be used).
    >
    > Wim

Bluetooth Laptops Internet