Connecting laptop to cable-Internet on standalone through ..

Last response: in Technologies
Share
April 12, 2004 1:34:39 PM

LS,

I have a stand-alone with Win98SE and a laptop with WinXP.
These 2 computers are connected to each other through bluetooth
dongles (MSI: type MS6967/ MS6968).
The stand-alone with Win98SE is connected to the internet with a cable
modem (@home)through a network card.
How can I get internet on my laptop (with WinXP) through the Bluetooth
dongle from the standalone (with Win98SE)?
I heard that Winroute Lite is needed. This program is installed on my
stand-alone, but I don't understand how to use it.
Please explain to me step by step (no general clues, please)how to
make internet available on the laptop.

(Some time ago I succeeded to make such connection between my 2
computers. Than I used a dail-up modem, and the concommittant
dial-up-connection-type with my bluetooth dongles; now a want to do
the same with the cable modem, but the dail-up connection type can't
be used).

Wim
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 13, 2004 11:33:51 AM

If you are using Windows XP you can do this with either ICS or Bridge, both
part of the OS. Have a look in our Bluetooth Guides.

Depending on what type you use you'll need to assign IP address. ICS will
implement a mini DHCP server, but requires addresses in the 192.168.0.x
range. If this is already in use by your cable modem or router then you need
to use Bridge.

--
Mauricio Freitas
Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):

"Wim" <wjtrooster@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> LS,
>
> I have a stand-alone with Win98SE and a laptop with WinXP.
> These 2 computers are connected to each other through bluetooth
> dongles (MSI: type MS6967/ MS6968).
> The stand-alone with Win98SE is connected to the internet with a cable
> modem (@home)through a network card.
> How can I get internet on my laptop (with WinXP) through the Bluetooth
> dongle from the standalone (with Win98SE)?
> I heard that Winroute Lite is needed. This program is installed on my
> stand-alone, but I don't understand how to use it.
> Please explain to me step by step (no general clues, please)how to
> make internet available on the laptop.
>
> (Some time ago I succeeded to make such connection between my 2
> computers. Than I used a dail-up modem, and the concommittant
> dial-up-connection-type with my bluetooth dongles; now a want to do
> the same with the cable modem, but the dail-up connection type can't
> be used).
>
> Wim
April 13, 2004 1:12:02 PM

Dear M.,

The problem is that WinXP is too "heavy" for my stand-alone, so that
there I use Win98SE. Therefore your answer gives me 10% of my
solution.

Any clue how to implement the whole story - step by step(!)?

Wim
a b D Laptop
April 13, 2004 6:41:30 PM

Win 98 SE has built-in Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). You don't
need Winroute Lite(althought it works slightly better).

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics

When the instructions refer to the ethernet card for the LAN, replace
the term with your BT LAN hookup.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 14, 2004 11:37:15 AM

There's an ICS component on Win98SE, but not installed by default. You can
install it rom Add/Remove Programs, change to Windows Components. another
option is to use a program called NAT32 (www.nat32.com) to create the
routing and nat necessary. You can then have a look in our Bluetooth Guides.
Down the page there's a guide for sharing connections between computers.

> Dear M.,
>
> The problem is that WinXP is too "heavy" for my stand-alone, so that
> there I use Win98SE. Therefore your answer gives me 10% of my
> solution.
>
> Any clue how to implement the whole story - step by step(!)?
>
> Wim
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 15, 2004 5:30:53 AM

While Maurico's Sites are EXCELLENT, in the case of a WIN98SE being the
"server or Main Machine" so to speak, you can also take a look at this site
http://www.practicallynetworked.com which specializes in every avenue of ICS
and has detailed instructions, and in this case may be better suited to help
you.