Is this SSD worth addition for my system?

cronos177

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
Dear community,

I'd like some opinions from you regarding this SSD http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0355841#rebate , right now is decently cheap, and I have been wanting one for a while. However, I am not completely sure if it would be worth to upgrade from HDD to SSD at this moment, or wait a little longer for the SSD to standardize, thus cheaper. You can see my system specs. Any other recommendation besides this on NEWEGG? I would appreciate any input. Thank you very much.

While I expect the price on SSD to still go down I wouldn’t hold your breath for it. In order for prices to go down you need for a couple things to happen. First production costs and development costs must be paid for. The second thing that must happen is for supply must exceed demand. Right now this isn’t happening. More to the point demand right now is exceeding supply on flash. We are selling all that we can make. What I am saying is down hold out hope of any price drops right now.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

cronos177

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227738

$50 bucks for it. You can throw the OS plus 1 or 2 games and the speeds are decent for the price.

I bought an intel 320 series 120GB SSD which is a great product but I think I would have been better buying something like a crucial m4 that is sata III capable so when I upgrade my mobo to support sata III I would already have an SSD ready to use.

I spent $220 on my 120GB SSD which is the same price as a Crucial m4 128GB wher the crucial is at almost twice the read speed (including its 20% performance increase from firmware update)

I didn't even know the difference between ssds at the time when I purchased my intel, I just bought it for the quality assurance and affordability.

I would have gone with the 510 series easily If I had known what I was passing up when I bought a sata II only ssd.

Thanks for quick response! I see that it is very cheap, but the read/write speed are about half compared to the kingston. It is noticeable, Total space is not important to me.

cronos177

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
I would suggest spending a little extra and getting an actual quality SSD that doesn't have a long list of bad reviews

Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - $114.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148441

I have yet to read one bad thing about crucial beside it not being the fastest SSD made. It is however very fast, reliable, quality made. They don't use the Sandforce controller so it doesn't have the same issues as OCZ ssd.

They just released a firmware update for it so that has a reported 20% performance increase, so that just makes me want to buy one even more lol.

If you run two of them in raid you will get crazy fast loads.

My intel 320 series 120GB speeds are

Sustained Sequential Read: Up to 270 MB/s
Sustained Sequential Write: Up to 130 MB/s

If I was to have bought two crucial m4 64GB (same price as my 320 series) and I ran them in raid I would be seeing almost triple read performance..

lol I think that is what I will be doing next XD

I am a fan of Crucial, I think they make very reliable and robust products, therefore I like your suggestion. However, I am still in the learning process about SSD's , raid etc... My Mobo supports SATA II only would that SATA III be compatible, or do I need to get some kind of pci controller? If so can you suggest one? I appreciate your experience on the topic.