Sign in with
Your question

Help meh plz :( Having trouble with games.

Last response: in Components
November 29, 2011 5:51:26 PM

After about 5 - 10 minutes playing a game (depending on the game), my screen goes black and the audio plays over in a loop. My computer gets really hot when playing a game too, and when I put a fan in, this does not happen so I think that it's an overheating problem. This problem only occurs when playing games. The computer is custom made so RMAing is not an option. Ctrl - Alt - Del also does not work. How do I stop this from happening?
Windows XP, my processor is Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.80GHz (2 CPUs), 2048MB of RAM, and my garphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce GT 220. Please help.

More about : meh plz trouble games

November 29, 2011 8:46:34 PM

All your heat sinks (coolers) clean?
m
l
November 29, 2011 9:13:59 PM

The pentium 4s are notorius for heat problems, when they were working correctly they would easily breach 70 degrees celsius. With two of those that is a ton of heat in the system, and I can easily see how it would kill the machine. Check to see what socket your p4 is, if memory serves me correctly there were 3 different types, and if its the 775, just grab a core 2 duo cheaply and that would fix your heating problem, and give you a nice boost of performance too.
m
l
Related resources
November 29, 2011 9:15:37 PM

dmcclelland1 said:
The pentium 4s are notorius for heat problems, when they were working correctly they would easily breach 70 degrees celsius. With two of those that is a ton of heat in the system, and I can easily see how it would kill the machine. Check to see what socket your p4 is, if memory serves me correctly there were 3 different types, and if its the 775, just grab a core 2 duo cheaply and that would fix your heating problem, and give you a nice boost of performance too.

Not all lga775 boards support core2duos!
m
l
November 29, 2011 9:17:06 PM

yes, my oversight there, check on what rolli said too
m
l
November 30, 2011 10:42:08 AM

Eeyup, they're clean. Oh and how much would that be? I don't plan on spending a lot :/ 
m
l
November 30, 2011 10:49:14 AM

buying a core 2 now would be like getting a band aid for a broken limb.
either save up your money for a new build or try to find a good core 2 and maybe get an aftermarket cooler as well
m
l
November 30, 2011 11:11:01 AM

Getting a band aid is free here in England... But wow, I don't know about that. You think that an aftermarket cooler will do it?
m
l
November 30, 2011 11:13:58 AM

fruitcaker said:
Getting a band aid is free here in England... But wow, I don't know about that. You think that an aftermarket cooler will do it?

i bought a 212 evo for my core 2 duo e8500 and the temps went down from mid 70's to mid 50's
m
l
November 30, 2011 11:28:16 AM

Dayumn. So about how much would it be? (rough estimate is fine)
m
l
November 30, 2011 11:35:50 AM

i thin 212 evo cost around $30-$40, im not sure since i live in australia
m
l
November 30, 2011 11:47:50 AM

D:
So there is no other way? Will downclocking the graphics card help?
m
l
November 30, 2011 12:10:09 PM

Have you determined which component is over heating? May I suggest running Prime95 to stress the CPU while monitoring temps with a tool like real temp which are all both free tools. Let Prime95 run for 30 minutes and if it doesn't error off or PC doesn't lock up then I would suspect the Nvidia GPU. Also you want to make sure the CPU is not getting close to 70c while Prime95 is running. If your seeing temps much over 60c then it is very likely your CPU is over heating since when playing games the GPU will be adding more heat.

The "Real Temp" tool also can sound alarms when you are reaching max TDP for the CPU or GPU so you may want to play a game and see what alarms go off.

If you can determine what is over heating then verify the fans are running on that compnonet and posibly reseat the heatsink on either the CPU or GPU.
m
l
November 30, 2011 6:21:22 PM

There is no point in buying a really nice aftermarket cooler for a processor that is that old and that horribly inefficient. For the same 30-40 dollars you could easily get a socket 775 core 2 which will not only run MUCH less hot, but also MUCH more efficiently. Even getting an E6400 would be an absolute massive upgrade to a pentium 4. Pentium 4s had tons of problems in their own right, and did annoying things like downclock when they heated up, chances are you aren't hitting anywhere near the advertised 3.8 ghz if those puppies are heating up. yes you 100% can get an aftermarket cooler, but that will just increase your performance minimally by letting your 10 year old processor run more efficiently. Why not spend the same amount of money and get more processing power and lower temps together?

Look at this one for instance: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-2-Duo-E6400-2-13GHz-...

$25 for a core 2 duo that will fit your socket size, assuming it is the 775 board, which again you need to check because the p4s came in a 442 443 and 775 if I remember correctly.

I still have a 6400 in one of my old machines, I can still run starcraft 2 on medium and WoW on medium settings, and the chip is 5 years old. It will be an absolute massive improvement over a P4.
m
l
!