SSD from previous build (with Win 7) on new build

Dgots

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
I built a new system yesterday. I want to use my old SSD with Win 7 and my old 1TB HDD for storage in my new system. I was under the assumption (please correct me if I'm wrong) that Windows 7 would allow you to move a drive form one computer to another with minimal, albeit challenging, effort. I thought that it would recognize new hardware and I would need to install new drivers and possibly re-enter my windows key. This is what I was hoping for anyway. The problem is, my bios is not detecting ANY bootable devices. It will recognize my optical drive if I hook it up, but that's it.

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Dgots

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012

I will try this over my lunch break.

So is my assumption correct? Provided I can get my SSD detected...will I be able to resume the use of Win 7 like I planned?

You'd need to have the same BIOS SATA environment (e.g. IDE -> IDE or AHCI-> AHCI) and then install all of then minimum drivers for the new MOBO (start with the INF Chipset drivers first).

The rest of what you said is correct and it should transfer, the exceptions are RAID from non-Intel chipset to Intel chipset migrations.

It should come up and try to install drivers. This can be very frustrating and times and no guarantee that it will work. You may end up reinstalling Windows on a securely erased SSD to get the best speeds.

Dgots

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012

Well first things first, lol. I gotta get the bios to detect the darned thing.

Dgots

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012

The old setup was an Asus M4A89TD Pro with an AMD 980 BE

New setup is Asus P8Z77-V Pro/Thunderbolt with an Intel i7 3770k

Hmm...it might work, obviously you're going from AMD -> Intel; by Default the AMD was using IDE and that must match-up otherwise it will BSOD/fail.

If you had any AMD specific Utilities they're going to cause a problem, uninstall before migrating your SSD/HDD and in this case a RAID cannot be migrated.

Dgots

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
Ok...so over my lunch break I discovered I have the first bios version the mobo shipped with...yay. I don't have another working computer at the moment, so I have to borrow a friend's laptop to get the file to a thumb drive.

On a whim, I threw in my windows cd. I was attempting to load drivers so the bios recognized the drive. No luck there as I was unsure what the drivers were called. Then I let the cd go through the install process to see if I even could do a clean install...and of course, to my dismay, I had no choices to select for an installation location.

Guess I'll try the bios flash once I get it on a thumb drive, but I am suspecting that even that will not fix things for me.

Oddly enough...I plugged in my 1 tb storage drive. That wasn't recognized either. I will change it to IDE this evening and cross my fingers that at least it will recognize them.

1). Check your manual, some newer motherboards will go to the website and get the new bios from within the bios.

Dgots

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012

I did. I even tried a SATA II port on both the ssd and hdd. Both IDE and AHCI on that as well.

If the SSD/HDD isn't showing up BIOS on the Intel SATA ports (only) then you've got a bigger problem. I assume both the SATA data and SATA power cables are properly connected and if the PSU is modular that you're using the correct modular connections.

One last thing you can try is Startup Repair where if needed you can 'inject' an unzipped driver(s) in 'Startup Repair.' Boot off the Windows 7 DVD, press F8 to access the 'System Recovery Options' menu ; see - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/startup-repair

Lastly, use your other MOBO and backup your data and start from scratch with a full (not quick) formatting.

Dgots

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
Well the new rig is up and running with a WEI of 7.8. The culprit giving me problems? Both my SSD AND my HDD were bad. Needless to say, I'm good to go now. Thanks to all of you for your tips and ideas. I truly appreciate all your unput!

The chances of both your SSD and HDD being dead at the same time by 'Drive Failures' is like lottery odds.

I would RMA your PSU and shut the rig down ASAP. The only possible explanation is like I said above or a bad MOBO or a bad PSU --- i.e. bad PSU power killed the drives.