Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Why do i keep loosing connection with my linksys e3000 router

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 27, 2011 10:01:59 PM

my linksys e3000 router loses connection quite often. E.G. we lost power last night and i tried resetting the router but it didnt work so I had to uninstall and then reinstall the router. A few other times it would lose connection for no apparent reason. Any ideas?
Anonymous
January 28, 2011 5:31:14 AM

This topic has been moved from the section Networking to section Wireless Networking by Fihart
Score
Anonymous
January 28, 2011 5:31:46 AM

You should try to optimise your reception and avoid interference.

1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.
Score
Related resources
February 4, 2011 2:02:13 AM

Quote:
are you sing windows 7? how many pcs are on the network?

There is one wired pc (xp) and 3 laptops -2 have windows 7 1 has vista. My problem is that the router loses internet connection even to the wired pc.
Score
June 22, 2011 2:28:31 AM

I have this same problem with my E3000. I have already tried the 5 suggestions above. I have read threads attributing it to overheating of the router but cooling solutions do not work. I have noticed that it will occur every time I try to send large data packets over the wireless network (transferring a movie) to another computer. It disconnects both computers, interrupts the transfer, then reconnects 60 seconds later.
Score
July 15, 2011 9:00:35 AM

I would advise making sure you have the newest available firmware. Better yet, ditch the factory firmware and flash it to Tomato USB. There are a couple of builds specifically for the E3000 and flashing it is very easy. My E3000 running Tomato has been extremely stable and it is highly configurable. When using various routers, the first thing I do is frisbee the software CD and flash to either Tomato or DD-WRT. The E3000 is easily able to run either, however, the newer DD-WRT builds for it feature a driver that is causing issues with wireless performance, but Tomato runs nicely.
Score
July 25, 2011 2:33:11 PM

I did get the router to work better after flashing DD-WRT. I had tried the Tomato USB but didn't have much luck but that was probably best attributed to poor configuration on my part. The DD-WRT has allowed me to set this router up as a wireless repeater bridge. Thanks for the advice!
Score
March 31, 2012 11:06:55 PM

myko14 said:
I did get the router to work better after flashing DD-WRT. I had tried the Tomato USB but didn't have much luck but that was probably best attributed to poor configuration on my part. The DD-WRT has allowed me to set this router up as a wireless repeater bridge. Thanks for the advice!

Okay, I was good up until the flashing a tomato USB the setting the router up as a wireless repeater bridge. How do you do that? Thanks!
Score
April 1, 2012 4:55:06 PM

Old thread start a new one.
Score
!