Comparing Digital IXUS and close relatives

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 28, 2005 10:55:20 PM

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new camera in the GBP 100 - 150 price range
(USD 180 - 280). I need something small enough for a shirt pocket
which has a fast shutter response time, a reasonable optical zoom,
and takes CompactFlash memory cards. I don't need a very high
resolution, in fact around 2 megapixels is sufficient.

It looks as if the Canon Digital IXUS would fit the bill on everything
but price. Maybe I should extend myself further on the price, but as
my resolution needs are so modest, and I'm not asking for lots of
other fancy features, I can't help wondering what else is out there
that might be a closer fit to my requirements.

Please could as many people as possible make suggestions of cameras
that might fit my needs. Once I know what they are called, I can then
do the leg work to find out more about them. Thanks.

--
James Taylor, London, UK PGP key: 3FBE1BF9
To protect against spam, the address in the "From:" header is not valid.

James Taylor wrote:

> I'm looking to buy a new camera in the GBP 100 - 150 price range
> (USD 180 - 280). I need something small enough for a shirt pocket
> which has a fast shutter response time, a reasonable optical zoom,
> and takes CompactFlash memory cards. I don't need a very high
> resolution, in fact around 2 megapixels is sufficient.

The original Ixus is hard to beat for 2Mpixels and 2x optical zoom. But
I would not want to carry one in my shirt pocket though - they are
fairly heavy and angular. Solidly built and a good workhorse.

You had better define fast shutter response time. I find the Ixus
marginally frustrating when compared to my SLR. I have missed a few
critical fast action shots with the Ixus due to shutter lag.

I still carry mine almost everywhere I go.

> It looks as if the Canon Digital IXUS would fit the bill on everything
> but price. Maybe I should extend myself further on the price, but as
> my resolution needs are so modest, and I'm not asking for lots of
> other fancy features, I can't help wondering what else is out there
> that might be a closer fit to my requirements.

If it really has to be for a shirt pocket then look at some of the newer
cameras with rounded corners at that resolution. Zoom mitigates against
thinness so you might be better with more pixels and a fixed lens.

It is sufficiently a matter of personal taste which small camera feels
right to handle so that recommendations can only ever be a guide.
Smaller is more portable but also shorter battery life and more fiddly
to use.

Regards,
Martin Brown
!