New to PC Gaming

Rudiano

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
Hi everyone. Im new to the PC gaming scene, finally decided to make the move to this superior format due to games such as Battlefield 3 :) ...which Im looking to play on my new rig. I have the following specs in mind (my budget is around £600) and would like some advice on wether its ok to run a game like Battlefield 3 at 1080p and what I should or not have:

CIT Saturn Gamers Case
EZ Cool 700W power supply
Overclocked Intel Core i5 2500K Quad CPU 4 x 3.3ghz Std
Arctic 7 Freezer Pro CPU Cooler
8gb Corsair DDR3 1600Mhz
1TB SATA II Hard Drive
ASUS SKT-1155 P8P67-M Intel P67 Chipset B3
Asus 1GB Radeon HD 6870 DIRECTCU
Sony Optiarc 20X DVD+-RW Dual layer Drive

I know theres going to be parts that shouldnt be there, so any help would be appreciated, thanks

I doubt that your power supply is up to the job .

Not the wattage rating , but the quality and the actual current it can deliver 24/7

There really isnt any need to OC the processor since its way more powerful than the graphics card .

Consider stepping up to the 6950 to get better image quality , and more consistent frame rates .
Compromise on the processor rather than the graphics card if you need to build to a budget

Rudiano

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011

Thanks for the reply, can you recommend me a good power supply? One that will do the job, not a pricy one and I wasnt sure at first if I should get a 6870 or a 6950, but if I do go for the 6950 should I lower the CPU?

On balance I'd stick with the 2500k and the 6870 . I game on a 1080p screen with a 6870 and get good fram rates even with an older processor .

Corsair , antec , seasonic pc power and cooling , enermax are all good brands for power supplies

If any of those rate a psu at a particular wattage you can be sure it will do it 24/7 , and not just short peaks like many cheaper brands .
I think you should look at 520 - 650 watt units to run your computer