rpeach

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Quick background... I currently need to build two computers. I've built a few before but that was a couple of years ago and I haven't kept up to date with components.

The first computer (mine) is essentially for gaming - mostly FPS games being played on esl. However I enjoy playing games with the graphics on high. I'll be looking to play BF3 and MW3 at a high standard. I would be looking around the £700-£850 area (sorry i know you are americans mostly).

The second computer (brothers) is for gaming but also for rendering in CAD. So I can only assume his will require a more powerful CPU? He is looking around the £700-£800 mark.

This is just the computer unit, e.g. no monitor or keyboard etc

I have done some research and came up with some basic parts (some blanks because I have no idea):

CPU: Core i5-2500K

GPU : 6950 sapphire graphics card

Mobo:

RAM: Corsair vengeance 8gb

PSU: Antec EarthWatts 750W

Case:

HDD: 2Tb WD Caviar Green

CPUFAN :

Maybe : SSD- 60Gb OCZ Vertex II SSD

For the second computer I wasn't sure if getting an i7 would be more useful due to his needs of rendering on CAD? I don't mind if you make suggestions that take the budgets under or over slightly

rpeach

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
ok ill go for a faster harddrive

my brother would be rendering buildings on CAD... not sure of the specific CAD program... but he is an architect so something along those lines