Help me to Improve my system

tweek877

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
Hello!
This is hopefully my first of many posts and I'm not even sure if this is in the right section but..
I have just finished building my gaming pc and its not quite as wonderful as I hoped it would be I built it on a budget of £400 and am looking to improve various parts but not quite sure where to start.
My Specs are:
AMD Athlon II X4 3.1 GHz Processor (thinking of going for 6 core but not sure)
Asus M4A8TD usb3 motherboard
ATI 5700 1GB Graphics card
4gb Corsair vengeance ram
500gb non specific Hdd (maybe solid state next?)
Xfx Pro 750w Psu
oh and windows 7 ultimate 64bit

any comments or criticisms are welcome! Flame away!
:D

tweek877

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011

Well I do a fair bit of video editing and use 3ds max and maya also a dedicated pc gamer and don't really like the fact I can't run a few games at maximum.

tweek877

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
i personally think a 6870/6950 would be a very worth while investment, but if you absolutely hate loading screens then grab an SSD :)

Yeah I think you are right about the 6870/6950 my friend has a similar system but is using a 6950 and its very good but the only thing I'm slightly cautious of is that every time I have had a high end card it has never lasted more than a year but things have probably changed since the days of AGP.

and my final concern is that I am new to solid state so I have no idea who are firing out the best products at the moment and the prices are really varied from £80 - 200 for a 120GB but why would they be so different as there's no moving parts so how could the quality of components be so varied?

I have spammed enough for now and thanks for you help :lol:

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
although I have to admit i'm not sure why (I would assume because there are more NAND chips) but a larger drive offers better performance. As well as that the newer style "Sandforce" drivers offer improved performance over the older style (can't recall the name) drives. OCZ and Corsair had some issues with their drives (OCZ still does) and seem to have cut prices to compensate for bad reviews on them. Intel also had an issue but you'll find that, like most all things intel makes, the price is a premium.

You have to remember that this is flash memory we're dealing with, and yes, the technology behind it matters. Mostly the name on the box and the chip itself is what you're paying for, however.

Don't forget to pick up a 2.5 to 3.5 inch bay extender as well, some don't come with.

TRENDING THREADS