Fresh build, PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error when installing Win7 64 bit

bluem00se

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
Hi all,

I just put together a brand new build from Amazon. I'm using:

Gigabyte P67A-D3-B3 DDR3 2133 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel i5 2500K 3.3 GHz Unlocked processor
HIS Radeon HD 6950 IceQ X Turbo 2GB (256bit)
Corsair Vengeance RAM 4GB total
Corsair Builders series 600W PSU
Sony DVD Drive
WD 500 GB SATA HDD 7200 RPM

I figured I'd list everything important just in case. Anyway, I ran through the BIOS, everything seemed fine so I popped in Windows 7 for a fresh install. Then I get this PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error (technical information: 0x0000004E)... What is it and what should I do about it? I read it may have to do with drivers; can I use the Driver CD that came with my graphics card and update the driver before installing Win7 (probably a stupid question but worth asking)?

Solution
Since you haven't gotten Windows installed, I suspect the problem is RAM. PFN stands for Page File Number. The PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error message is typically associated with a read/write error, which coincidentially, happens on the RAM DIMMs.

Get the latest version of MemTest86+ . Burn it to a disc. Pop the disc into the troubled computer and let MT86+ run - it will happen automatically.

Note that MT86+ runs completely independent of the OS environment, so don't worry about not having Windows installed. Also, should MT86+ find errors in your RAM, get the RAM replaced, and then try installing Windows again.

Edit: No. You cannot install GPU drivers prior to installing your OS (Windows). The driver packs are .exe files...
Since you haven't gotten Windows installed, I suspect the problem is RAM. PFN stands for Page File Number. The PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error message is typically associated with a read/write error, which coincidentially, happens on the RAM DIMMs.

Get the latest version of MemTest86+ . Burn it to a disc. Pop the disc into the troubled computer and let MT86+ run - it will happen automatically.

Note that MT86+ runs completely independent of the OS environment, so don't worry about not having Windows installed. Also, should MT86+ find errors in your RAM, get the RAM replaced, and then try installing Windows again.

Edit: No. You cannot install GPU drivers prior to installing your OS (Windows). The driver packs are .exe files, which is only recognized by Windows, unless using an emulator in a Unix-based OS (like Linux - Ubuntu w/ WINE).

Solution

bluem00se

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011

Thanks, I had a feeling it might be that after thinking it over... come to think of it I had trouble installing the first stick of RAM into my mobo... it wouldn't snap in completely and although it looked like it was in all the way, I closed the snaps on the side of that RAM slot the rest of the way manually. I'll look into it.

bluem00se

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011

I ran the diagnostic tool and had no errors in my RAM, but this was after I re-seated the RAM I had trouble with earlier. I'm trying to reinstall Windows now. However, I noticed it said my RAM frequency settings during the diagnostic were like 600 something... my RAM is 1600. Should I change it in the bios?

bluem00se

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
UPDATE:

2nd reinstall failed but it got past the PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error, so reseating my RAM seemed to work. It then froze and blue screened during the final install screen and made me reinstall. I tried deleting the partition Windows made when I installed the first 2 times, and reformatted the drive before trying a third install. Third time was the charm! Everything is working fine now, downloading Deus Ex: HR. Thanks for the help T_T!