Graphics Card Overheat

rotmammoth

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Hello all.

My Radeon HD 4890 has been working perfectly fine for a while, but just yesterday, it started to overheat. Usually it would heat up quite a bit, but this time it actually crashed the computer from overheating. I'm using two Radeon HD 4890s in crossfire mode so I thought it was a lack of power that was causing the problem. In order to find out I took out the functional card and only used the overheating Radeon HD 4890 and it was still overheating. Any ideas on what else may be causing the problem?

Thank you.

r3xx3r

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
it could be dust, so that is the first thing you want to check. if you clean it out and it still overheats it is probably just age is finally getting to the card and it will be time for an upgrade

rotmammoth

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
It's been less than 2 years and I use a dusk removal spray pretty frequently. I just noticed that the one that was functional is now also overheating. Just replaced the thermal compound too.

Thank you for fast responses.

rotmammoth

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
My bad, I was replacing the thermal compound again. I thought it looked a bit smeared. So I took the entire thing apart and cleaned it all out and tried to put it back in. The problem now is that the fan won't even spin. I know the card still works cause its heating up and stuff. Anyone know how to make it work again? The fan is already plugged in and on boot up, the fan moves a little bit then comes to a stop.

The problem with the other graphics card was that the fan wasn't plugged in, that was my fault.

rotmammoth

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Alright! The fan is working again but it is seems much slower than before. You can almost see the fins individually unless you crank it up to 100% fan speed. For now, I think the card will be fine since the other graphics card is gonna have more load.

rotmammoth

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I was looking up what would be the best one to get and the Twin Turbo always popped up. It's a bit too pricey for me though. I was looking for something that would keep my graphics card at a reasonable temperature while gaming at high settings. I don't mind temperatures like 90 Celsius while gaming. Do you think something like the Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev. 2 would do the job? Would it even fit the card?

Here's a link to it:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7248/vid-109/Arctic_Cooling_Accelero_S1_Rev_2_VGA_Cooler_nVidia_GeForce_400_series_Radeon_HD_6850_6870_And_More.html?tl=g40c21s65

I would want to be sure.

Why don't you create a different thread to find out what the best cooler would be.Make sure you tell them what your budget is,cause i'm sure a lot of them will suggest the $50 cooler.

I'd say the best cooler thats the cheapest would be this one,the one you suggested.But i'm sure you can find something for cheaper.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7248/vid-109/Arctic_Cooling_Accelero_S1_Rev_2_VGA_Cooler_nVidia_GeForce_400_series_Radeon_HD_6850_6870_And_More.html?tl=g40c21s65