Sign in with
Your question

X6 Processor lag

Last response: in CPUs
November 29, 2011 9:35:32 PM

Hi,
I have a Phenom II X6 1055T (at the time I assumed 6 cores = 6 times the power...I have since been told :sweat:  ), and I get significant lag in most games. Only solution I've found so far is to manually set processor affinity to 1 or 2 cores. This puts an end to all the performance issues, but I have to Alt+tab out every time I want to play which is getting pretty old. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

More about : processor lag

a b à CPUs
November 29, 2011 9:46:48 PM

really ? what games ? What gpu you have ? I have a x6 and have not noticed any lag in any games .
November 29, 2011 10:23:49 PM

My guess is its some other component or a software issue. There is not a game out that the X6 can't handle.
Related resources
a c 83 à CPUs
November 29, 2011 10:34:37 PM

I own a variety of X4 and X6 processors, I don't need to set affinity for anything, not since Win Xp and I've only used X2 processors with that.
a c 88 à CPUs
November 29, 2011 11:38:38 PM

^maybe he is using win xp
November 29, 2011 11:49:12 PM

Check amd catalyst, it might have have a setting turned on that limits your cpu usage, it once happened to me after i installed new catalyst software. I was getting bad game performance for days before I found out what it was.
a b à CPUs
November 30, 2011 12:28:10 AM

Does changing your CPU speed (overclocking/underclocking) impact your "significant lag"?

What do you mean by "significant lag"? Do you mean a time delay of half a second between what your mouse/keyboard does and it showing on the screen? Or do you just mean your frames per second (fps) is low? Could you run Fraps to quantify how the fps dips occur? What games do you play? Does it occur in older games (like TF2)?
November 30, 2011 8:45:27 AM

Thanks guys! Ok, more info:
- Windows 7 Pro (64-bit)
- XFX Radeon HD6870 1Gb (recently upgraded from Geforce 9800GTX - hoped that might solve the problem but it didn't)
- 4Gb Mushkin Silverline RAM
- MSI 880GM-E41
-OCZ 550W Fatal1ty PSU

My X6 is overclocked from (I believe) 2.8 to 3.2 GHz (professionally, I didn't touch it :D )

To clarify the issue, I get low and inconsistent framerates in Skyrim, League of Legends and DotA 2. By "low" I mean ~5-20fps, and by "inconsistent" I mean sometimes they'll peak at acceptable levels for anywhere between a few seconds and a minute or two. Other games (Deus Ex: HR, Battlefield 3, DoW2, Dragon Age 1) perform much better but are still improved by alt+tabbing and setting to single/dual core affinity. Older games (TF2, Fable 1) run perfectly without any core switching.

@ROSS_MITCHELL, thanks, any idea where I'd check for this cpu limiting setting?

@dalauder, thanks also, how could I get that kind of data from Fraps?

Thanks again people, much appreciated :) 
a b à CPUs
November 30, 2011 8:10:30 PM

What are your temps like when gaming ? What cooler you using ? Could it be overheating and that the cpu is downclocking to save it ?
a b à CPUs
November 30, 2011 8:24:09 PM

Fraps should have an onscreen display (F12 enables/disables it by default). I merely meant it as an example to quantify the issue you were experiencing. But I think you explained it with the 5~20fps dips (assuming typical would be 40-60fps). I think F11, by default, will log your fps for a set amount of time with Fraps and output it to an excel file. You could try logging for 300 seconds.

I've heard Skyrim has dips during loading in certain areas. Could this be it or is it everywhere? DotA 2 should run well (with the exception of Internet lag).

Deus Ex: HR shouldn't benefit by reducing to a dual core--it actually uses 4: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/deus-ex-human-revol...

Like jerry6 said, check your temps (with HWMonitor).

Try manually adjusting your CPU speed between 2.0GHz and 3.5GHz. This change should be easy to see in Deus Ex and may not affect all games.
December 1, 2011 12:24:26 AM

Have you cleaned out your old nVidia drivers?
!