GTX 260M suddenly having framerate problems?

bigbrudduh

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Starting this morning I noticed that video games I normally play at max setting at 60fps (League of Legends, Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, Team Fortress 2, etc.) are having severe frame rate problems, going to 5-15fps each. This is constant throughout my games.

It's not an overheating problem, as my temps are in the sub 60 degree C range, and don't rise much higher then that. I've been playing recently without any problem.

Thanks.

bigbrudduh

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
By the way, my laptop is a Asus G60vx. It seems other people have the same problem, but they say it is overheating. I'm going to check if that is it anyways and check out my fan, but it doesn't seem like it should be the problem when after an hour of play time my gpu temp is only 70 or so, with the cpus staying in the low fifties.

EDIT: Yeah, definitely not the heat.

bigbrudduh

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Oh, and my whole specs, if you don't want to look up the laptop -

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P7450 @ 2.13GHz
4GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit Operating System
Nvidia Geforce GTX 260M

bigbrudduh

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Fixed this. Apparently had nothing to do with the GPU.

The problem is actually with the power options - I'm using Power4Gear High Performance option right now, and changed the Turbo Mode option to EXTREME TURBO (lol). Apparently this is normally enabled when you choose this power option, and I really doubt it is actually overclocked. This option must have been disabled at some point when I unplugged my laptop or restarted it or something.