Gigabyte GTX 670

I can't make up my mind on the RAM.
The guy at the store told me to get this:
KINGSTON KVR 1333MHZ DDR3 CL9

Some people told me to get this:
G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory

Someone told me to get this:
Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

I'll probably go with the 1600MHZ option, but should I still consider Kingston or the brand doesn't matter at all?

All the prices are so close, it doesn't really matter. Saving 5$ or spending 5$ more isn't a big deal.

Right now, I'm almost set on the Ripjaws X but would like some thoughts on that matter before making my final choice.

Thanks for your help

More about : decide ram choose

September 5, 2012 7:36:36 AM

seeing your configuration, i'm pretty sure that you build this PC for gaming purpose with overclocking. So, go ahead and take GSkill ripjawsx 8GB one.Unlike the others the GSkill has got heat spreaders (better cooling for the heat produced while gaming and overclocking) which ensures best performance than the given RAMs. you cannot think of overclocking with other two RAMs. the corsair vengence(1600 MHz ones) rams are also fine(friends' opinion) but i dont have any personal xperience with it
m
l
a b } Memory
September 5, 2012 7:41:04 AM

The G.Skill kit would be best for you.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b } Memory
September 5, 2012 7:48:26 AM

That G.Skill RAM, great name in memory and looks good on that mobo.

The Kingston I would avoid since its 1333Mhz, and (probably, most Kingston kits do) run at 1.65v, which is bad your your Intel CPU. You need a kit that's 1.5v or less, which is what the G.Skill kit does.
September 6, 2012 12:11:00 AM

manofchalk said:
That G.Skill RAM, great name in memory and looks good on that mobo.

The Kingston I would avoid since its 1333Mhz, and (probably, most Kingston kits do) run at 1.65v, which is bad your your Intel CPU. You need a kit that's 1.5v or less, which is what the G.Skill kit does.

Damn, I forgot that detail today when I went to the computer store.
The guy told me the G.Skill RAM were awesome but he showed me something much bigger and it was only 10$ more. I couldn't resist...I hope I didn't make a mistake.
Anyway, if some of you tell me it was a mistake, I can still switch parts in my PC until next week.

I bought this:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...
m
l
a b } Memory
September 6, 2012 12:51:17 AM

You got the wrong ones. These are 1.65 volts. You need 1.5 volt memory.
m
l
September 6, 2012 1:10:21 AM

abekl said:
You got the wrong ones. These are 1.65 volts. You need 1.5 volt memory.

DOH!
The tech guy at the store explained me something about that RAM that was better than the ripjaws but I wasn't really listening because I was looking at those huge Kingston RAM lol
It was something about those numbers: 9-9-9-24

It's weird cuz I've read some reviews and didn't see anything about that 1.65 being bad.
I'll keep looking and I'll probably call tomorrow to have the store switch the ram in my PC.

Thanks
m
l
a b } Memory
September 6, 2012 5:52:52 AM

It has a higher frequency, which does give better performance. But the increase is only minimal and not worth the $10.
Also large RAM heat-fins are pointless as well, RAM just doesnt get hot. Other components will fail due to heat before the RAM will. Large heat-fins can actually be a bad thing, makes it a lot harder to fit the bigger CPU heatsinks.

Those numbers refer to its timings. Its fairly complicated (dont fully understand them myself), but it boils down to how fast the RAM can react to the OS requesting data. 9-9-9-24 is fairly standard, nothing particularly special.

m
l
September 28, 2012 6:02:02 PM

Best answer selected by Gorrath.
m
l
!