Keyboard/Mouse not detected

Shugyou

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
Hello, my computer (which will be replaced soon) has stopped detecting keyboard and mouse alike. At first, even the bios could not detect them; cause a fatal error on startup. Then after clearing the static from the ports, closing the PS for about 30 minutes, the bios detected the keyboard, but the connection was lost during windows loadup. So far, starting in Safe mode, switching parts, starting in last known good config, switching to a PS2 mouse has yet to give any result.

Someone who knows more about computer than me will come and lend a hand, but I'm wondering if a bios flash will solve the issue, or if a replacement of the MB will be necessary.

At this point, I'm only interested in getting access to the computer so I can make a final backup and transfer my files.

Thanks in advance and I apologize for any English misstep I may have made, as it's not my main language

it sounds like either you have faulty connections on some of your ports or there is something wrong with your motherboard. unless you were doing some advanced changes in your bios (or *maybe* if you had a power surge or other such occurence) i'd doubt that your bios is bad.

how to fix this? honestly i'm not sure. my first move would likely be the same as yours (new motherboard).

you do realize that you can back up files off your computer by just taking the hard drive out of your computer and plugging it into any other computer? if i was in this situation that is what i would do. if this is impossible you could always get a replacement hard drive and install windows to it then plug the old hard drive in later to recover the files. this is assuming you aren't running raid0 or another such unique setup.

---

you said you were going to replace the computer soon.... it might be worth getting one now and not paying for a new motherboard. why buy components for a pc you will be getting rid of anyways?

as for what forum to post this in:

"Forum > Perepherals"

as it deals with your mouse and keyboard (perepherals) not working.