In way over my head... is this ThinkCentre 8808 a good investment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

inotus

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Holy hot mess a computer I can afford! Here's the link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883108641

How upgradable is this machine? I'm looking to eventually build a computer that, while it doesn't have to be top of the line, can handle modern games.

Specifically:

Can I upgrade the processor?

If so, how far?

Can I upgrade the graphics capabilities?

If so, how far?

Is there something else here I'm missing?

I'm relatively smart and would love a challenge when it comes to the technical stuff, and this seems like a fun project to work on, I'm just worried I'm missing something important here, like power supply or something, and I'd rather not throw my money down the toilet.

PLEASE MIGHTY COMPUTER GODS, HEAR MY PLEA.

Solution
To be honest, it doesn't sound like a really interesting challenge. I have tons of IBM models like these, and basically the case isn't all that great for cooling. They make good internet surfing pcs, but nothing gaming worthy.

For anything extra you will have to spend more. By the time you get done buying; a new cpu, powersupply, more ram, and a video card, you would of been better off just saving your money for the future build.

I believe the full ram upgrade is like either 4gb or 6gb, and with ddr 2 you are already getting further behind in performance.

I'd say shark around local stores, or internet sites for something better for the same price. You can even get a bundle pack for around 200-300 USD that includes a monitor.

87ninefiveone

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Well, the newegg add isn't too informational...so, some quick searching turns up this...

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-65936

Which tells me the following;

It comes with a Pentium 4, but with proper BIOS can be upgraded at least through the Conroe Core 2 line of processors (LGA 775 based). The power supply is weak at around 200-300 Watts, and the machine in question is a space saving half height design.

Basically, your limited to already anchient processors, plus the form factor and power supply completely limit your GPU choices to something non-performance oriented.

I'd say keep looking around. Check your local craigslist adds for something better around the same price point.

mtxpeterson

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
To be honest, it doesn't sound like a really interesting challenge. I have tons of IBM models like these, and basically the case isn't all that great for cooling. They make good internet surfing pcs, but nothing gaming worthy.

For anything extra you will have to spend more. By the time you get done buying; a new cpu, powersupply, more ram, and a video card, you would of been better off just saving your money for the future build.

I believe the full ram upgrade is like either 4gb or 6gb, and with ddr 2 you are already getting further behind in performance.

I'd say shark around local stores, or internet sites for something better for the same price. You can even get a bundle pack for around 200-300 USD that includes a monitor.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.