Sign in with
Your question

Computer won't recognize all Memory/Ram

Last response: in Memory
September 5, 2012 5:07:30 AM

Hey
I have 4 sticks of Gskill Ripjaw ram which in all adds up to 12GB ram, and I have a asus p6x58d premium motherboard. It used to recognize 12gb ram but since I pressed memboot! or whatever its called on my motherboard because of some issues I had it only recognized 6gb in single channel? all the ram are locked in nice and tight. How do I fix this?

John
September 5, 2012 2:57:41 PM

Well the thing is it used to work, and ever since I unhooked or rehooked them back in its only recognizing 6gb... should I update BIOS
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
a c 84 V Motherboard
September 5, 2012 3:05:51 PM

In the bios, did it said see all 12?
m
l
September 5, 2012 3:13:50 PM

Nope Bios said 6131mb or somewhere around there. I took one stick out and left 3 in and it still said 6131mb... does that mean my other memory stick is dead? I tried it in another slot too
m
l
a b } Memory
a c 216 V Motherboard
September 5, 2012 8:33:41 PM

Looks more like a non-responsive/dead memory channel. It's only recognizing one 4GB and one 2GB memory module in the still working channel.
m
l
September 5, 2012 8:39:26 PM

Try to remove one, and boot. If it work, move the working one to the next channel and see if either DIMM slot is broken. Also try it out with the other ram stick to see if the ram is functioning.
m
l
September 5, 2012 8:43:09 PM

If its a dead channel is that fixable?
m
l
a b } Memory
a c 216 V Motherboard
September 5, 2012 8:56:29 PM

aajohnny said:
If its a dead channel is that fixable?

The memory controller itself resides on the CPU.

There could be a problem with any of the CPU or CPU socket or memory socket(s).

e.g. If one of the CPU socket pins for the memory controller isn't making proper contact with the corresponding land pad on the CPU you can lose a memory channel. The only real fix for that is a new motherboard or to send the motherboard to the manufacturer to have the CPU socket replaced (i.e. very expensive option since it costs almost as much as a new motherboard).
m
l
September 6, 2012 12:46:37 AM

Well whats interesting is my friend brought his ram over tried it and it went to 8gb, we tried it on ALL the slots, one by one too ect, He doesn't think its the motherboard, and I don't believe its the cpu, now my memory is at 8gb... and I have 12gb worth of ram sticks. I have a feeling its capping my memory at 8gb, could it be a lack of a bios update?
m
l
September 6, 2012 1:42:52 AM

well, something similar happened to me but in my case, I damaged one ram module by removing it careless, it was an expensive error because I had to get a new board.

check all the rams pins, There is a trick with an eraser, dont know if you should try that.
m
l
September 6, 2012 1:48:45 AM

Would it be smarter to by like two sticks of 8gb ram? and use the slots that are working?
m
l
September 6, 2012 2:48:52 PM

I think the middle blue DIMM slot is broken, if it is broken is there anyway to have nmore then the one stick of ram? lets say I have 4gb in the 1st blue slot can I put them alll in the black? or skip the middle blue slot (b1)
m
l
September 6, 2012 4:55:34 PM

Do the following:

1. Check your boards manual see which ones of the 4 slots are the actual "pairs". I have had boards with 4 slots that have had pairs arranged as slot 1-2 and 3-4, and also other boards that were 1-3 and 2-4 as paired slots. So 1st make sure which ones are the pairs on your board.

2. Remove 2 of the ram sticks from one paired slots, boot up, see what happens.

3. If it works and recognizes what you have inside the board, then remove this working ram and put it into the other 2 slots, reboot, see if it works. If it doesnt work, then swap the 2 sticks for the ones you removed and try again.

By swapping the 2 pairs of RAM separately and the 2 pairs of slots, you should be able to identify the issue.

Also, you can just take a verified good stick of RAM and put it in each slot, 1 by 1, this will tell you at least if the problem is on mobo/cpu side or the RAM itself. Likewise, you can test each and every one of your ram sticks, in a known good slot.

You also mentioned a BIOS update ? re-download and flash it again, and / or flash it to the last working version. Before flashing, set everything to "default" do a hardboot, clear it all on flash. I do not know your board but mine gives me an automatic option to clear CMOS at the time of the flash process. I have had to do that manually in my old systems way back when. So double check on that.

When doing the flash, do so with only 1 stick, or 1 known working pair of ram sticks / mem slots, then add rest later. You also have a some sort of a "reset" configuration option in your BIOS. Make sure you reset it after you put all your ram back in it. This will force the board to look for new or changed hardware.

Hope some of this helps, if the problem turns out to be on mobo / CPU side, thats a bummer unless you can get anotehr CPU to swap out or another computer to stick this one in.
m
l
September 7, 2012 4:44:41 AM

So do you think it is a Memory problem and no motherboard? I am hoping so. I talked to an ASUS tech rep and he said it's probably faulty Memory. I can't see how this would be a cpu problem.
m
l
September 7, 2012 1:06:41 PM

Well I think its the motherboard slots... I put in each stick of RAM in slot A1 (which is the blue one, the proper slot) and they worked and booted windows, ect. Next I put them in slot B1 the next blue slot, and they didn't boot windows, just a black screen with DRAM led on... does this sound like the motherboard slots are short or dead?
m
l
a b } Memory
a c 216 V Motherboard
September 7, 2012 3:34:04 PM

aajohnny said:
Well I think its the motherboard slots... I put in each stick of RAM in slot A1 (which is the blue one, the proper slot) and they worked and booted windows, ect. Next I put them in slot B1 the next blue slot, and they didn't boot windows, just a black screen with DRAM led on... does this sound like the motherboard slots are short or dead?

Did you also try the C1 slot? Try it and see if it is dead or working.

If no memory modules are being recognized in slot B1 then there is definitely a motherboard problem.

If the A1, A2, C1 and C2 memory slots work then it should recognize the four memory modules that you have. I would recommend testing it with the 4GB modules in A1 & C1 and the 2GB modules in A2 & C2 if C1 works as I've asked above.
m
l
September 10, 2012 4:29:39 AM

Yeah I tried, it doesn't work... I have a feeling its some sort of setting that's making it not recognize or something because wouldn't it not boot if the slot was faulty?
m
l
a b } Memory
a c 216 V Motherboard
September 10, 2012 4:33:44 AM

aajohnny said:
Yeah I tried, it doesn't work... I have a feeling its some sort of setting that's making it not recognize or something because wouldn't it not boot if the slot was faulty?

Didn't you say that the A1 slot is working?

If none of the memory sockets worked I would expect the motherboard's POST routine to output a beep code indicating that no memory is installed.
m
l
September 10, 2012 1:32:39 PM

Yeah A1 works, when I put sticks into A1 and B1 it boots but only recognizes 4gb out of 8gb. No beeps. So you don't think a slot is broken?
m
l
a b } Memory
a c 216 V Motherboard
September 11, 2012 3:11:27 AM

If B1 and C1 aren't working then you have two bad memory channels.
m
l
September 11, 2012 11:31:43 AM

Oh okay thank you. Yeah I figured it was bad slots, oh well :/  I don't have time to wait for a RMA, cause I work from this computer, should I just get a stick of 8gb ram and wait till I have money for a new mobo?
m
l
!