Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Different error messages at any time, starting to suspect motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
September 5, 2012 5:55:41 AM

Hello my situation is somewhat strange so I will try to explain to the best I can.

A few days ago my pc would not boot whatsoever (the fans and HDDall still ran) and I was receiving diagnostic lights that indicated "A possible system board resource and/or hardware failure has occurred." I had no beeps from the motherboard at this time.

I stripped it clean, dusted everything, reset CMOS, and checked all my cables. Still nothing.

At this point I began to suspect something wrong with the PSU, I checked the voltage and everything read perfect.

Again I reseated all my cables and it finally made it into POST, only this time I received the error message from both the diagnostic lights and beeps that "No memory modules are detected."

I removed my memory and tired them one by one and each slot, sometimes receiving the motherboard failure beeps and sometimes receiving the "Another failure has occurred." from the diagnostic lights. But I mainly just kept hearing the "No memory modules are detected" beeps. I also tried some ram I knew was good but still nothing.

At this point I was sure the motherboard was failing, but I decided to power on one last time and lone behold, the damn thing powers on like nothing ever happened.

I ran all diagnostic tests from the BIOS and nothing was detected. I reset my machine and again would not boot.

So now I'm back at square one, the same 3 diagnostic lights as before with no POST or beeps. I think this is a motherboard problem but wanted some advice before I wasted my money on replacing something that may not even be broken.

Please help!

More about : error messages time starting suspect motherboard

a b V Motherboard
September 5, 2012 8:16:28 AM

I feel your pain... odds are it is mobo issue but these problems are very tough to troubleshoot. It seems like you have done most tests I would have suggested already, apart from testing your components in another board or testing your board in another system.

Question: do you have a discrete GPU or do you use onboard graphics?
m
l
September 5, 2012 8:31:06 AM

Herr_Koos said:
I feel your pain... odds are it is mobo issue but these problems are very tough to troubleshoot. It seems like you have done most tests I would have suggested already, apart from testing your components in another board or testing your board in another system.

Question: do you have a discrete GPU or do you use onboard graphics?

Thanks for the quick reply, and yes this has been a nightmare to troubleshoot :/ 

Im using a nvidia quadro fx 570.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
September 5, 2012 8:37:57 AM

If your board has onboard graphics, remove the GPU and run off that to see if it makes any difference.
m
l
September 5, 2012 8:47:21 AM

Herr_Koos said:
If your board has onboard graphics, remove the GPU and run off that to see if it makes any difference.

Still getting hardware failure diagnostic lights :/ 
m
l
September 6, 2012 4:14:24 AM

Herr_Koos said:

ignore my previous post, I was able to boot up tonight several times without my video card and fairly rarely with it, but I was stuck using on board graphics everytime. I ran diagnostics on everything and it checks out. Ive also heard you can make it into/past POST with a faulty video card. So im pretty sure at this point this card I have now is on its last leg. Any last minute thoughts before I buy a new one?

Thank you very much for your help.
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
September 6, 2012 6:50:19 AM

I suggest you borrow a known working GPU if possible and test it for a while. This may still be a mobo issue (faulty PCIe slot for example, happened to me once) and in that case you will have spent money on the wrong part.
September 6, 2012 8:39:20 AM

Best answer selected by atincan28.
m
l
!