Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Thoughts on Home Media/ Data Server ?

Last response: in Systems
August 31, 2011 3:21:57 AM

Hi Guys,

I have a friend that is looking to build what I would call a server style machine that will provide the following [at least ideally....please advise if this is unrealistic]:

1. House all their media and data files for access by several other PC's in the house simultaneously.
2. House all their media files for wireless streaming to various TV's in the house simultaneously.
3. Provide basic level functionality with programs such as Adobe to edit and rip movies from various media sources.

How will the following meet this overall objective of low price as well as functionality above?

CPU: Intel i7 2600
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2HB3
RAM: PNY 8GB 4x2 DDR 1333D
SSD: OCZTECH 60GB AGIL 3 SATA3
HD: (2) Hitachi 1.5TB 7200SATA
BR: PIO 12x BLU RAY Burner
PSU: COOLMAST 500W Extreme V3 ATX2
Case: COOLMAST HAF912 ATX Gaming
August 31, 2011 9:38:26 AM

You spend too many money on parts that aren't important for a file server! A file server needs a quality PSU along with a good case so It can stay open the whole day and reliable HDDs to store your data. I would also use a linux distro (debian or Arch maybe).

m
l

Best solution

August 31, 2011 9:47:50 AM

i5 2400
Asus Maximus Z68
Gskill 2x4GB DDR3 1600
2x Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 5200rpm
PSU : Antec HCG 520W
Related resources
August 31, 2011 11:49:01 AM

I'd have to agree...your hardware choices are significant overkill for a file/media server.

I'd choose a very solid power supply and quality hard drives, as suggested. I'm not convinced you'll need a SSD and am quite certain you won't need that much RAM...You would likely be fine with a dual core CPU, file servers don't generally do a ton of processing.

The case is also far less important that it be cool looking or expensive...can be very utility oriented - just needs to be solid and have decent cooling...even the Antec 300 fits that bill.

If you haven't looked at it, you could consider something like Amahi (built on Fedora - yes, I know...being on Fedora worries me a bit too).
m
l
September 1, 2011 3:15:57 AM

Thanks for the feedback, we were also not sold on the idea of a SSD as this computer will probably be on basically 24 hours a day.

So, with multiple computers/ wireless TV's accessing Video/ Pictures there is not for much RAM or a 7200 SATA drive?
m
l
September 1, 2011 6:42:31 PM

You might need a decent amount of RAM, but 4GB would more than likely be plenty - file serving or streaming in the house isn't all that demanding.

Many people run small Windows Home Server boxes with single and dual core CPUs and a few GB of RAM. 7200 RPM disks are fine, but the rest of the box is not necessary for the purpose.
m
l
September 2, 2011 12:13:19 AM

So then is there really a need for anything above i3/ 61?
m
l
September 2, 2011 12:06:55 PM

Honestly, the requirements for a file server are pretty low. We're virtualizing a file server at work with 2 CPUs and 4GB of RAM dedicated....and even that is probably overkill, but with virtualization, we can overcommit resources because they are shared.

Oh...this will be supporting 100 - 130 users. Our users don't stream from the thing, but they do access a lot of storage throughout the day.

Hope that helps.
m
l
September 8, 2011 3:51:05 AM

So the streaming is CPU intensive and thus needs at least an i5 based upon the comment of the dual CPU's on the work file servers? Thanks.
m
l
September 8, 2011 1:57:39 PM

I don't believe that streaming is too CPU intensive, but haven't tested it greatly myself. Transcoding the video on the fly would be CPU intensive (as it would be change the video format), but I don't believe that streaming to a few computer in the house would kill it.

I still think the hardware is overkill for what you are planning...some of the early WHS boxes were pretty moderate hardware and were fully capable of streaming to multiple PCs.

It's completely up to you what you end up getting...
m
l
October 14, 2011 12:53:57 PM

Best answer selected by 57vroom.
m
l
!