Sign in with
Your question

2 sound outputs on same computer

Last response: in Components
November 30, 2011 1:14:37 AM

Hello,

My computer has multiple monitors and my wife watches movies on one of the monitors (mounted on the wall) while I play on the 24" monitor on my desk next to it. She always gets the sound (kinda needed for a movie) I want to watch youtube videos on my 24" with sound.

Can I put 2 soundcards and have them output the different speakers (headphones in my case)?

This allows me to have only one computer in my room, saving on heat and cost. (the computer is plenty fast to show multiple movies on multiple screens)

Thanks for any help,

Gary

More about : sound outputs computer

November 30, 2011 2:57:20 AM

Kind of. Unless the programs you use allow you to MANUALLY set which sound output device you want to use, only one can be active at any one time.
December 8, 2011 2:11:38 AM

For anyone that reads this post, I have gotten it to work.

I used the onboard sound outputting to my TV and a PCI audigy ZS card outputting to a set of headphones on the same PC.

It is true that you need to be able to select the sound from the particular application, but the windows media player classic HTC allows you to. (haven't really tried any others yet)

I set the default sound for the system to the TV sound card so my wife can watch her netflix movie, and I can watch something on Media center classic or even use it to listen to music. It does allow both to play at the same time.

I have a AMD quad core 3.2 and it seems to keep up just fine with no jittering.
December 8, 2011 11:12:49 AM

^^ Yep, thats essentially what you have to do. Thankfully, most audio/video playback programs allow you to set a specific audio output, so for movies/music, you can typically use two devices at once.
!