Antec P280 discussion

I would like to open a discussion of the new Antec P280 computer case. It could be very close to one of those ideal cases. I've had a list of things in the back of my mind that I would like in a case. The "case" would have adequate room. Room for cables behind the motherboard. Room for long graphics cards and airflow. Room for tall CPU coolers. Room for multiple graphics cards.

The "case" would have cooling flexibility designed in from the beginning. It would have multiple fan ports. It would absolutely incorporate standard sized fans (proprietary fans not allowed). It would have fans on the front, top, bottom, and rear.

The "case" would have air filters on every intake fan port. The filters would be accessible and washable.

The "case" would have internal USB 3.0 connectivity. It would have a large CPU cutout in the motherboard tray. It would have at least eight expansion slots. It would have a bottom mounted PSU.

The "case" would have acoustic features to reduce the noise. It would have adsorbent materials incorporated into the design, and it would have a door.

And finally, the case has to look good.

In my opinion. the Antec P280 comes close. It doesn't have a bottom fan port. It doesn't have the good looks of the Corsair 650D. It doesn't have option of large fans. The acoustic features are not as robust as I would like, but I can fix that. It doesn't have a fan controller, but I can fix that too. And best of all, it costs under $150.
25 answers Last reply
More about antec p280 discussion
  1. its a very good case but slightly overpriced

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Antec/P280/3.html
  2. dirtyferret said:
    its a very good case but slightly overpriced

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Antec/P280/3.html

Hi,
    I agree. It would be so much better at $99.99. :D

I checked the new Antec 1100 today, and it is in stock. The P280 has been "out of stock" since it became available on 11/22/11 at Newegg. Since it came out after the P280, I would guess that P280 is selling out of stock at $139.99.

The http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Antec/P280/3.html article is a good one.
    Here are some other reviews.

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/Html/Reviews/reviews.php?id=704504#
  3. It's in stock and selling for $112.30 at NCIX (USA site). I was about to pull the trigger on the Corsair 650D but this case is giving me second thoughts. A quality case is a multi-year investment, so the $40 difference can be overlooked. Taking cost out of the equation, which would you guys choose?
  4. having put together a fractal mini define recently I think its better than my P180, the P280, looks ok, but actually the bigger fractal designs look better in my opinion. Just want clearer airflow through empty HDD cages, i.e. make them removable.
  5. JohnnieBeBlue said:
    It's in stock and selling for $112.30 at NCIX (USA site). I was about to pull the trigger on the Corsair 650D but this case is giving me second thoughts. A quality case is a multi-year investment, so the $40 difference can be overlooked. Taking cost out of the equation, which would you guys choose?

Hi,
    I just checked the price at http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=65170&vpn=P280&manufacture=Antec#. It is available at $112.30. I think it is a phenomenal buy at that price with free shipping. I have no experience with the seller. Have you had good luck with NCIX(US)?

Buy the way, it is a $61.13 difference (Corsair 650D $173.43) in price at NCIX. The 200mm fans on the Corsair have a history of developing rattle type noises. This factor plus the high cost are the reasons I haven't bought the case. I really like the black brushed aluminum look of the case.
  6. 13thmonkey said:
    having put together a fractal mini define recently I think its better than my P180, the P280, looks ok, but actually the bigger fractal designs look better in my opinion. Just want clearer airflow through empty HDD cages, i.e. make them removable.

Hi,
    The mid tower Fractal Design R3 (20.8" x 8.17" x 17.4") is considerably smaller than the mid tower P280 (22.1" x 9.1" x 20.7"). The Fractal Design XL is a bit larger, but it is also a full tower (and weighs 39.57 pounds empty). The option of removing the HDD cages is a handy feature, but I would probably leave the cages in place.
  7. terry4536 said:
    Hi,
    The mid tower Fractal Design R3 (20.8" x 8.17" x 17.4") is considerably smaller than the mid tower P280 (22.1" x 9.1" x 20.7"). The Fractal Design XL is a bit larger, but it is also a full tower (and weighs 39.57 pounds empty). The option of removing the HDD cages is a handy feature, but I would probably leave the cages in place.

previously I would have been with you on that. But i'm now running a WHS on Gbe so I no longer need lots of local storage, feels a lot better, don't know why but it does.
  8. Hi,
    That is interesting. I use gigabit ethernet to download media for my HDTV. After I complete the PC I'm assembling parts for, I have plans to use my present computer as a form of NAS. That is essentially what you have with Windows Home Server software.
  9. Absolutely, WHS however also backsup every PC every day, and only runs at 50-70W from the wall, and hence can be made very quiet, and is remotely accessible (it might end up in the garage). And its a lot more useful that a NAS, cheaper than a NAS (maybe £400 for my 5TB build), and is more repairable when bits fail than a NAS (std PSU, Std MOBO, Std CPU etc. etc. etc.)
    I can pull 80MB/s from it using 'green' and LP HDD's. And it means that if my main PC fails, my videos etc. are safe, the WHS is backedup to a seperate internal disk, 95% of the time it does nothing. It goes to sleep at 11:15pm and wakess up at 9:00am.
    I think its great. I've had a couple of HDD's fail (I started using old ones), but have lost no data as a result, partly because it warned me and partly because everything is duplicated.
    Sorry for the off topic post.
  10. 13thmonkey said:
    having put together a fractal mini define recently I think its better than my P180, the P280, looks ok, but actually the bigger fractal designs look better in my opinion. Just want clearer airflow through empty HDD cages, i.e. make them removable.

Hi,
    I just had an idea in regards to your concerns about the airflow through the HDD cage. The cage itself may not be removable (without modding), but the individual HDD trays are removable. If you removed the unused trays, that would clean up the air flow through the HDD cage considerably.
  11. terry4536 said:
    Hi,
    I just checked the price at http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=65170&vpn=P280&manufacture=Antec#. It is available at $112.30. I think it is a phenomenal buy at that price with free shipping. I have no experience with the seller. Have you had good luck with NCIX(US)?

Buy the way, it is a $61.13 difference (Corsair 650D $173.43) in price at NCIX. The 200mm fans on the Corsair have a history of developing rattle type noises. This factor plus the high cost are the reasons I haven't bought the case. I really like the black brushed aluminum look of the case.

No worries ordering from NCIX!
    Been a customer for years on the Canadian side = 1st Class operation.
    The U.S. site and service will be no different.
    They've operated a U.S. website since 2007.
    Opened U.S. facilities(shipping warehouse) this past Sept. in California.
  12. davcon said:
    No worries ordering from NCIX!
    Been a customer for years on the Canadian side = 1st Class operation.
    The U.S. site and service will be no different.
    They've operated a U.S. website since 2007.
    Opened U.S. facilities(shipping warehouse) this past Sept. in California.

Hi,
    Thanks for the reference. I've had good luck with New Egg, Amazon, and Tiger Direct. But I have'nt had any business with NCIX.
  13. terry4536 said:
    Hi,
    I just had an idea in regards to your concerns about the airflow through the HDD cage. The cage itself may not be removable (without modding), but the individual HDD trays are removable. If you removed the unused trays, that would clean up the air flow through the HDD cage considerably.

But there's still al lot of metal work for the air to get round.
    in my p180 i've a plastic duct where the middle cage would be pushing air down into the pocket between the GPU and the bottom of the case, so that the GPU has fresh to suck on. I've also added a 120mm in 3 of the big drive bays, ducted so it feeds into the gap above the gpu so that the cpu has something to suck on. makes a nice difference lets my GTX470 run quieter but maxing at 78-80C @ 75% fan speed.
  14. 13thmonkey said:
    But there's still al lot of metal work for the air to get round.
    in my p180 i've a plastic duct where the middle cage would be pushing air down into the pocket between the GPU and the bottom of the case, so that the GPU has fresh to suck on. I've also added a 120mm in 3 of the big drive bays, ducted so it feeds into the gap above the gpu so that the cpu has something to suck on. makes a nice difference lets my GTX470 run quieter but maxing at 78-80C @ 75% fan speed.

Hi,
    There are the optional fan mounts on internal and external side of the HDD cage. The reviews (the reviews are referenced on the first page) had the P280 cooling better than the Corsair 650D with no front intake fans installed at all. So the air flow through the case can't be that bad. I would definitely add at least two intake fans. I would also experiment with the internal fan mounts.
  15. are you encouraging me to build something (not that I need any encouragement, I only built the server as I had a license and was curious). It does look good. can that top position hold a 2x120 rad?
  16. 13thmonkey said:
    are you encouraging me to build something (not that I need any encouragement, I only built the server as I had a license and was curious). It does look good. can that top position hold a 2x120 rad?

Hi,
    According to the http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1775/6/ , the Corsair H100 and similar sized radiators will fit.
  17. its got me thinking of a case swap, and making my '470 watercooled and OC'd, as a tide-me-over till the 6XX series refresh in 2013 arrrgh
  18. I just picked up the p280 for 95 bucks. Booyah
  19. alexdh01 said:
    I just picked up the p280 for 95 bucks. Booyah

Hi,
    That is an excellant buy! Where did you find it at $95?
  20. I have the same case.
    At the moment i replaced the BACK and the 2 TOP EXHAUSTING FANS with Aerocool Shark Black/White.
    What do you suggest now?
    I can mount:
    2 INTAKE before HDDs
    2 INTAKE between HDDs and MB
    4 INTAKE 2+2 (I think is too much)

I am not expert at all in airflowing and I'd like to find the best solution available
  21. Nick1984 said:
    I have the same case.
    At the moment i replaced the BACK and the 2 TOP EXHAUSTING FANS with Aerocool Shark Black/White.
    What do you suggest now?
    I can mount:
    2 INTAKE before HDDs
    2 INTAKE between HDDs and MB
    4 INTAKE 2+2 (I think is too much)

I am not expert at all in airflowing and I'd like to find the best solution available

Hi,
    I have an Asus motherboard, and one of the reasons I chose Asus was there Fan Xpert2 on-board fan controller. Therefore, I wanted 120mm PWM chassis fans. I installed three Scythe Slip Stream PWM (two in the front fan ports and one in the rear fan port). They work great and are completely silent. I left the two top fans as original equipment. I haven't had a need for the internal ports.

I have had this case for a while now. I am very happy with it.

Newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185144
  22. Thank you all for the suggestions, we always listen to our customers about the feed back on this case.

Just to give you guys a heads up, we are coming out with new options and a white p280

http://www.antec.com/product.php?Family=6

Stay tuned because we still haven't officially released it yet.
  23. I love this case a million bagillion. I cannot wait until I get a new motherboard and the 3.0 adapters in the front are usable! I have a question about the rattling fans. I hear a rattling when I don't use the computer for a day or 2 and I turn it on cold. It sounds like it is coming from where the PSU is? but I haven't located it for sure yet. The rattling is pretty loud and obnoxious from anywhere from 15 seconds (lukewarm boot) to 3 minutes (cold boot after no use for 4+days) I love this case as much as I have loved building my computer over the years, but I cannot find out how to fix it. Any help would be much appreciated :)
  24. nightfo0l said:
    I love this case a million bagillion. I cannot wait until I get a new motherboard and the 3.0 adapters in the front are usable! I have a question about the rattling fans. I hear a rattling when I don't use the computer for a day or 2 and I turn it on cold. It sounds like it is coming from where the PSU is? but I haven't located it for sure yet. The rattling is pretty loud and obnoxious from anywhere from 15 seconds (lukewarm boot) to 3 minutes (cold boot after no use for 4+days) I love this case as much as I have loved building my computer over the years, but I cannot find out how to fix it. Any help would be much appreciated :)

Hi,
    The case has no moving parts in that area. There is a removable PSU filter. The next time that you hear the noise simply remove the filter and eliminate it as a cause. If it sounds as if the noise is coming from your PSU, I would begin troubleshooting there. At a guess, you may have dropped something into the PSU.

I have had no problems of any kind with the case. So I have no history to share with you.
  25. I'm glad I found this thread, as most of you that have posted own the P280. I have owned the P180 Advanced Super-Mid Tower for years and love it. Over the past year I've upgraded to an i7 2600k and a SuperClocked GTX 570. Both of these components run a little hotter than I'd like them to even with the fans running on high.

Bottom line; am I going to see much of a difference between the P180 and P280 in terms airflow? The P280 doesn't have the partition running above the PSU and HDD cage under the motherboard tray, will the absence of this partition really make a difference in how cool the case runs?

The P280 is on sale from Newegg right now for $99.99, $79.99 after rebate. I would love to buy this case but, I'm worried it won't have much better airflow over my P180 and I'd just be stuck with the same inadequate cooling.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Cases Graphics Cards Antec Components Product