2-2-2 Memory?

G

What is meant by the three numbers I see associated with memory (such as 2-2-2)? What does it mean to me?

Thanks, Bill

G

More commonly you are going to see 8-2-2 or 7.5-2-2. These numbers refer to first number - the nanosecond rating of the memory, second number - the CAS Latency, third number - the RAS latency. The nanoseconds are important in terms of memory access speed and latency is like friction, the less the better.

- Every private citizen has a public responsibility

G

how can u find the nanosecond rating of your memory?
i am guessing SiSoft Sandra maybe? but if so where exactly would i find it?

Jarablue

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you can find it on the chip itself there should be a hyphen - then right in front of it there will be a number. Like this -2 that is normally the cas rating of the ram.

In the immortal word's of Bob Marley, "Let's get together and feel alllright..."

Jarablue

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
And the nanosecond rating should be on the surface of the chip. Like my crucial ram says in wide open view 7ns. Should say something like that

In the immortal word's of Bob Marley, "Let's get together and feel alllright..."

G

anyone to know through software such as windows ME or benchmarks?

G

No software is going to be able to tell you what your memory speed is at. It would be like software that could tell you how much you could overclock a processor. That speed written on the chip is the maximum rated speed by which the manufacturer will certify it at for it's lifetime. It has more to do with the purity of the silicon than anything. The manufacturer has to ask himself, how fast can I run this memory and still have reliable performance. Then bam, he slaps that sticker on it once that has been determined, usually with internal testing. It's the same process by which intel or amd use to certify processors at certain rated clock speed.

- Every private citizen has a public responsibility