Sign in with
Your question

Asrock Z77 Extreme - Bent Pins

Last response: in Motherboards
September 5, 2012 12:40:56 PM

Hello,

I recently purchased a new Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 Motherboard and i5 3570k CPU etc. pretty much a new build and was super excited!

I am not super computer-smart so I got my brother to help who has some experience and when we were about to install the CPU in the motherboard, he bent like 2-3 pins.. he said sorry of course and didn't realize that socket 1155 was so fragile compared to his AMD board.

So I was cranky and went out for a bit and while I was gone he felt bad so got out the magnifying glass and tiny tweezers and bent the few pins back into place and lined them back up best he could to they were originally (Said they were not touching other pins) and installed the CPU + Stock HSF etc. and booted the system, installed Windows 7 etc.

Now I'm home with my PC working and with Windows 7 installed sucessfully, my only questions are..
Since they pins on the motherboard were bent and put back into place, will it crash often? or BSOD often.. aka will I never have a perfect system because of those bent pins, even though they are back in place? should I get a new motherboard because of this and also would using prime95 to test the system for like 10 hours or so mean that the system is fine? even with the bent pins that were put back into place.

If you do think the motherboard is pretty much useless, if I got a new motherboard.. would the CPU now be broken also because it's touched the socket with the bent pins? or CPU is fine?

Thanks.
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
September 5, 2012 12:57:39 PM

if windows installed and its running ok then it should be fine

have straightened pins before for people and their pcs are still running fine

keep using it and see how it goes--no need to buy new stuff yet
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
September 5, 2012 12:59:14 PM

Why don't you simply enjoy you new system and wait for the first BSOD? If the windows installation was successful it is very likely that you brother did a good job finally.
m
l
Related resources
September 5, 2012 1:14:04 PM

I have bent many pins back into place over the years, its fine but it definitely spooks you when it happens. I find that you can generally move them a small amount before they become loose or weak in any way. If the system is running its probably fine.
m
l
September 5, 2012 1:16:06 PM

I already ordered a new motherboard so I was wondering if I switch that CPU to the new motherboard, will it have issues forever now since it was placed in the motherboard with bent pins? I know it boots fine on the bent pin motherboard, but I just don't want faulty hardware so I purchased a new one!
m
l
September 5, 2012 1:20:53 PM

This is indeed where AMD excels at with their ZIF chip design (and cooler installation). You are not the first to experience bent pins, it's quite common. If you have tested it and everything works, then you will be fine. Think of it as an electrical socket, if you have bent prongs and insert them into the outlet and it works, the connection has been made and it's fine. Same here except that it's probably the last time that CPU will ever leave that socket. The are only two fixes here: to do as your brother did and carefully straighten the pins, or RMA it back to the manufacturer and pay them to install a new socket (pricy). If you are experiencing no problems now, you will also continue to have no problems down the road.
m
l
September 5, 2012 1:24:18 PM

matt_b said:
This is indeed where AMD excels at with their ZIF chip design (and cooler installation). You are not the first to experience bent pins, it's quite common. If you have tested it and everything works, then you will be fine. Think of it as an electrical socket, if you have bent prongs and insert them into the outlet and it works, the connection has been made and it's fine. Same here except that it's probably the last time that CPU will ever leave that socket. The are only two fixes here: to do as your brother did and carefully straighten the pins, or RMA it back to the manufacturer and pay them to install a new socket (pricy). If you are experiencing no problems now, you will also continue to have no problems down the road.

How can I tell if there is a problem like? maybe one of the pins aren't connected and it's stopping the power from my ram slots on my motherboard? or something like that because I read somewhere that if not "All Pins" are connected.. like maybe one or two aren't it will cause small problems like I mentioned above?

Also last time the CPU leaves the socket? so if I bought a new motherboard, I couldn't put it in a new mobo?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
September 5, 2012 1:29:45 PM

not sure why they are talking about amd as thats an intel cpu you have

so the pins are on the motherboard not the cpu

so yes you should be able to put the cpu in a new motherboard

just dont think you need to

it hasnt actually bsod you or anything has it?
m
l
September 5, 2012 1:52:47 PM

Not yet.. but as I asked matt_b isn't there other problems besides bsod that could occur? like ram slots not working due to communication with memory controller failing or something
m
l
September 5, 2012 1:53:49 PM

cameronmc88 said:
I already ordered a new motherboard so I was wondering if I switch that CPU to the new motherboard, will it have issues forever now since it was placed in the motherboard with bent pins? I know it boots fine on the bent pin motherboard, but I just don't want faulty hardware so I purchased a new one!

An Intel CPU just has contact points, no pins on it. Swapping it is straightforward (minus the seating process of course). You really don't have a faulty board since you stated it is running fine. If it was faulty, you really wouldn't even get it to post, not to mention if the pins were not straightened correctly or even worse touching one another, you would have experienced either no POST or a short in the socket upon initial powerup - then you would have a faulty board.
m
l
September 5, 2012 1:59:22 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
not sure why they are talking about amd as thats an intel cpu you have

His brother bent the pins installing it thinking it was like his AMD.

@ cameronmc8
Unless I am missing on something, The CPU will not function properly at all without making contact with ALL of the points.

Quote:
Also last time the CPU leaves the socket? so if I bought a new motherboard, I couldn't put it in a new mobo?

Meaning that a CPU generally is installed once in a board and will never leave it. As in, no wear and tear from removing and installing repeatedly. You can remove one and place it in another compatible board with no problems though.
m
l
September 5, 2012 2:04:25 PM

you think I should cancel my new motherboard purchase? (it's not been shipped yet) and also maybe do prime95 for 10 hours or so to see if it will BSOD?

Btw thanks for all your help guys! :) 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
September 5, 2012 2:13:26 PM

I would cancel my new motherboard purchase

whether you run prime95 for 10 hours is up to you

but for me thats putting your cpu through something that its never going to do in real life use

and if you are using the stock heatsink i certainly wouldnt recommend 10 hours of prime95

just do all the things you would normally use it for to test it out
m
l
September 5, 2012 2:15:15 PM

Okay thanks for the information and sorry guys but..

Just to clarify if I remove my CPU and put it in a new motherboard it will have no ISSUES because of the bent pins from the previous motherboard? I mean like the CPU hasn't been damaged by the pins in anyway? even if the motherboard has.
And just say I need a new motherboard, but I wouldn't need a new CPU??
m
l
September 5, 2012 3:48:04 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
I would cancel my new motherboard purchase

whether you run prime95 for 10 hours is up to you

but for me thats putting your cpu through something that its never going to do in real life use

and if you are using the stock heatsink i certainly wouldnt recommend 10 hours of prime95

just do all the things you would normally use it for to test it out

Agreed. If there were truly a problem, it would have popped up by now.

@ cameronmc88
Correct. As long as you have an LGA 1155 motherboard (or ten for the sake of argument), you could remove and place the same LGA 1155 CPU in every one of them. The bent pins on the motherboard will not matter with regards to the CPU specifically because it has already been tested to function properly - so it can be placed in another motherboard if you wish.
m
l
!