Different case latency

dastrix

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
Hello,
I recently purchased on ebay a memory bank ddr400 pc3200 512mb, I thought every pc3200 memory was cl 3.0 instead it was cl 2.5, now when I put it in my computer it causes no post and a continuos beep, in my pc I already have two memory banks 512 mb pc3200 ddr400 cl3.0. I don't know if this problem is caused by memory fault or incompatibility, thanks

CAS Latency & Frequency are independent from each other to a point. Assumption is the mother of many 'problems.' IF your PC has 4xDIMM slots of DDR then its best to have 4x of matching RAM. Besides Frequency & CAS Timings, you also have to contend with Voltages and SS/DS (ranks).

Most repeating 'beeps' are memory errors.

If mix-matching RAM then you must go into the BIOS and set the Slowest and Highest Voltages to attempt to get them all to work together. The Density, Frequency, CAS Timings, and Voltage 'should' be listed on the RAM stick. Otherwise you'll need to boot with one of each stick and look at CPU-z 'SPD' tab to determine the following information; see image and link below.

Example:
DDR-400 3.0 - 3.0 - 3.0 - 8 @ 2.5v
DDR-400 2.5 - 3.0 - 3.0 - 6 @ 2.6v~2.7v
=============================
DDR-400 3.0 - 3.0 - 3.0 - 8 @ 2.6v

CPU-z - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

CPU-z 'SPD' tab:
softwares-cpuz-05.jpg

dastrix

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
:) I am a little afraid in experimenting because of the long beep not repeating, I think I'll try the new bank alone trying different bios settings but do you think there is the risk to ruin the motherboard?

Using incompatible RAM won't ruin your MOBO, damaging the MOBO while installing or removing RAM 'can' damage your MOBO.

IF you remove the 'new' RAM and it still fails then I'd Clear the CMOS unplug the PSU for 5 minutes, locate your CMOS 'Jumper' and move the jumper for 5+ seconds, move the jumper back into its default position, and boot into your BIOS and 'Load Optimized/Optimal Defaults' then Exit & Save = Yes.

Clear CMOS video -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0

Duh what?! Those two sentences contradict themselves. If there's a problem the beeps (tones) change or better are expressed as the BIOS instructs the beeps to do based upon the error. Some beeps because the error(s) are persistent so are the beeps.

dastrix

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
:pt1cable: sorry my english is not perfect, I wanted to say that the beep never stop, I'll let you know as soon as I can try thank you everybody