Sign in with
Your question

RAM upgrade advise

Last response: in Components
November 30, 2011 3:36:10 AM

I already have a kingston 2GB 1333MHz DDR3 ram stick. I am planning to add a Corsair ValueSelect 1333 Mhz DDR3 stick to the other slot. will that cause any problems? Also if I add a 4GB XMS3 1333 Mhz DDR3 stick instead of the 2GB valueselect would that cause any problems? I am only interested in gaming from my pc. My other specs are Intel i3 2100 3.1GHz, Nvidia GTX 560, seasonic 520W psu, 500GB samsung HDD, windows 7 32 bit. I am mostly considering this upgrade to play skyrim since my 2GB can't handle the game with plenty of mods.

More about : ram upgrade advise

November 30, 2011 4:03:47 PM

I would go ahead and get an 8 gb kit while prices are so low and sell your old ram. Newegg had them yesterday for only $25. Try not to mix ram brands; sometimes they don't gell and can cause problems.
November 30, 2011 4:19:12 PM

in america or europe they may be cheap but where i live its not. 8gb is easily 4 times the price you mentioned and when converted to the currency here that's hell of a lot. Anyway my mobo (intel dh61ww) supports only 1333mhz and there are no 8gb kits for that speed. Can you tell me what are the issues i may get if i mix brands? I asked the questions i have in my first post.
Related resources
November 30, 2011 4:49:33 PM

It won't hurt to try any combination of ram. But if it doesn't run well together, you can always use only the 4 gb stick and sell the other one. Your motherboard manual can tell you if mixing a 4 gb with 2 gb stick might work. Normally, when you run with the auto setting, the board will select the timings that both sticks will run with. They may not match the original stick. But if that's all you can afford, then give it a try. If possible, be sure both are rated for the same voltage. 1.5 is preferred, unless your original stick is 1.65v.
November 30, 2011 5:21:15 PM

hmm... Thanks for the reply. Both corasir types i mentioned have 9-9-9-24 timings. Have to check the voltages. What if the voltages are altogether different? Is that going to be a big issue?
November 30, 2011 5:54:33 PM

Like I said, it won't hurt to try it. 1.35-1.5v is recommended for newer 1155 Intel boards; amd is more flexible with ram voltages. The 1.35v is only on a few select boards.
November 30, 2011 6:32:20 PM

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards can be very sensitive to this.
Although, I think the problem has lessened with the newer Intel chipsets. Still,
it is safer to get what you need in one kit.

All ram must run at the same voltage. You should be ok with 1.5v ram which is the default.
You motherboard documentation should tell you what combintion of sticks you can use.

Some combinations may result in single channel mode, or partial single/dual channel mode.
Don't worry about that either. You have been in single channel mode with one stick, and I bet you couldn't notice.

Do not worry about speeds or timings, the 2100 is not much impacted by slower ram. Think 1-2% in terms of fps.

If the price is not a problem, I would go with the 4gb upgrade. If it works well with your old ram, and you get 6gb great.
If not, 4gb will still be a big improvement over 2gb.

December 2, 2011 2:56:37 PM

ok so I checked the specs of my current ram and the 4gb corsair xms3. As far as I can see both run at 9-9-9-24 timings and recommended voltage is 1.5v. So it seems I won't run into any trouble adding it? Also will I have to upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit if I add this?
December 2, 2011 4:05:31 PM

assassinsat said:
ok so I checked the specs of my current ram and the 4gb corsair xms3. As far as I can see both run at 9-9-9-24 timings and recommended voltage is 1.5v. So it seems I won't run into any trouble adding it? Also will I have to upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit if I add this?

To access more than 4gb, you need a 64 bit OS, xp/vista/windows-7. Windows 7-64 is best, xp 64 bit is not recommended. Vista-64 is ok.

Windows activation codes are not sensitive to 32 or 64 bit flavors, at least for retail versions. Not certain about oem, but I think it is ok there too. If your current os is 32 bit, you need to do a clean reinstall of 64 to be able to use all 6gb. So, if you have access to a windows-7 64 bit dvd, you can use that for a clean install and use your 32 bit code to activate.
December 2, 2011 5:03:20 PM

cool! I already have the dvd. Is there anything i need to know about windows 7 64 bit thats different than 32 bit?
!