D-Link Wireless usb adapter issues

joshthegooglist

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Ok, heres my problem. I work for a large car dealership, and the mechanics need some computers to access a device on a wireless subnet of the dealership. Most of them have laptops, but the one computer in question is a desktop. It is an acer aspire x1301 dual core running windows 7 pro x64, 4GB Ram. We did have it wired into the wireless router, but it got moved so i had to switch it to wireless. I tried to find a wireless card, but i was informed that because of the size of the case, there would be no wireless card small enough. So i bought this d-link usb adapter. It worked fine for the first few days, but then it started randomly disconnecting from the wireless signal. The signal strength varies between 70 and 80 %. Ive tried ip release/renews, nothing. I also tried uping the DHCP lease time, nothiing, I tried disabling the firewall, didnt help. So, today i ran a chkdsk, sfc /scannow(this came up with a corrupt log file) and ive also reset the winsockets(netsh winsock reset catalog) && (netsh int ip reset reset.log hit) but im not too optimistic about this solution. Im at my wits end. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My router is a TP-Link TR-WD1043ND operating on channel 11 in b/g/n mixed. unsecured (for customers with ipods/iphones/blackberrys/whatever
Thanks

-Josh

first of all get a second router for public access if you value you companies data. Just change the LAN IP to 192.168.254.1 of the second router and connect the WAN/internet port to the main router.

secure your main router. also try a different channel. keep cordless phones away. set it to N-only. if there is an option of 20/40Hz try 20Hz.

make sure the router is elevated

which D-Link wireless adapter are you using?

joshthegooglist

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
There is no company data on this particular subnet. This network is only for the mechanic shop. The supernet has only 2 usable ip addresses left (for now, change is coming) so installing a second router is out of the question. (Mandated by my superiors) There are no cordless phones in the whole building. The adapter im using is a Wireless N 150 DWA-125. I will try these other settings changes and fill you in

EDIT: changed to channel 2, Switched to 20 Hz(what does this do?), switched to N only, router cannot be elevated due to the lengths of cords already connected

TRENDING THREADS