Crossfire with an ASUS P6T SE

yong9000

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Hello,
I was wondering if it is possible to use the two slots farthest from each other to crossfire two GPUs.

In my case, I have two Sapphire Vapor-X 5770s on an ASUS P6T SE; however, the cards get quite hot because of their close proximity. Is it possible to use the last slot to crossfire, or must I use the slot closest?

Thanks!

If they are getting hot, but staying within spec, I wouldn't worry about it. Your video cards are going to generate more heat than anything else in your system. Is the heat from your video cards causing the rest of your system to go outside thermal spec?

Theoretically, if your crossfire bridge will reach that far, you could try it. You'll run 16x and 4x, though, instead of 16x/16x bandwidth you're currently using. This will affect performance to an extent:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1366/P6T_SE/#specifications

Try it and use GPU-z to determine the PCI-e bandwidth for the second card. I'd be curious whether the 4x is hardwired for 4x or if the board may use some kind of active switching for that 3rd slot. It can't hurt to try it.

Just know any physical change in configuration with a crossfire setup will require you to uninstall AMD drivers, reboot, driver sweep, reboot, install drivers or things will not perform as expected. So when you switch the 2nd card to the 3rd slot you'll have to do this, and if you put it back, you'll have to do it again.