Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 - Front Panel Headphone Jack static/clicking

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Cooler Master
  • Front Panel
  • Components
Last response: in Components
November 30, 2011 7:25:23 AM

Hello, I have been looking into a problem I have recently encountered with the front panel headphone jack of my full tower. I just received my vmoda headphones from newegg and tested them out, though I can hear a faint fuzzy noise when idle or clicking the mouse. I tested a game and when it starts up I hear a very annoying and audible fuzzy clicking noise, its more clicky than static sounding. However, it is not the headphones themselves as I have plugged them into the rear panel port and they work fine, no fuzzy noise whatsoever idle or playing music/game. I upgraded to the latest realtek drivers my mobo uses and I dont have a separate sound card, just using the mobo.

PS> Hopefully I posted in the right forum. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

More about : cooler master cosmos 1000 front panel headphone jack static clicking

November 30, 2011 7:54:45 AM

2407171,1,1044488 said:
Hello, I have been looking into a problem I have recently encountered with the front panel headphone jack of my full tower. I just received my vmoda headphones from newegg and tested them out, though I can hear a faint fuzzy noise when idle or clicking the mouse. I tested a game and when it starts up I hear a very annoying and audible fuzzy clicking noise, its more clicky than static sounding.]

You probably have a ground loop problem where the static can be heard through the headphones when using the front panel connection. Hearing this when clicking the mouse is almost a guarantee this is the problem. You won't hear this using the rear panel as the earthing (ground loop) problem occurs through the front panel connector cable that connects to the sound card / motherboard.

I had the same issue with my case and there are lots of suggested answers internet forums, but the cause for me was that the front panel shared an earth connection between the headphones and the front panel USB ports.

The proper solution would be to create separate earth connections but I was a little lazy and just unplugged the front panel USB cable from the motherboard and my static noise dissapeared.

Try unplugging all the other front panel connectors to try and isolate the problem.

You may also have a front panel cable that is not sheilded proberly but that is unlikely unless it is very old or was very cheap.
m
l
November 30, 2011 7:10:00 PM

Alright, well I tried what you suggested regarding the USB cables. I disconnected both USB plug-ins from my mobo, and the buzzing/clicking is still persistent. I also read that the usb shouldnt cause this buzzing problems. However, I do think it might be a ground loop problem. Hopefully anyone can provide some more information.
m
l
!