Processor Spiking up to 50% load

andypearce

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Hello everyone

I built my computer a few weeks ago, and have noticed some issues. Basically, when I do something as minor as moving my mouse rapidly, the machine sometimes stutters. I have checked Task Manager and have found that my processor spikes up to around 50% load when this happens. Videos and music also stutter every now and again.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to sort this issue out, or why it is happening?

Thanks

Andy

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
What processor are you using?
Is it overclocked/modified in any way from stock?

Do you have any programs running in the background causing the spike?
How much RAM does your system have?

(To see what programs are running open Task Manager and open the "Processes" tab, and sort by "Memory", this will show which running programs are using up the most of your resources and should help you narrow down the problem).

A complete system details would be good.
Videos and Music stutter while playing from the HDD? that could have a different problem. The GPU drivers and it's settings may lead to stuttering in videos.
The mouse causing spikes could be a com port bandwidth problem. So until we know the specs of the rig you've put together it's be pretty difficult to say what the exact problems are.

andypearce

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Okay thanks guys heres my specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 Motherboard
8GB of Ripjaw RAM
Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT Graphics

andypearce

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
My mouse isn't any special, it's just a basic Compaq mouse that I got a computer I bought about 6 months ago.

My OS is Windows 7 Professional

I was playing the videos through the internet, and then tried playing music through iTunes

As through the sound card, I have no idea as i'm not on my home computer. It's integrated onto the board and isn't a seperate sound card, thats about all I know

Thanks again