Upgrade Help

john the swift

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
Hi guys.

im currently running a system composed of....

Asus Striker 2 Formula = mobo
8gb corsair ddr2 800mhz = ram
gtx 260 OC = graphics card
q9400 775 = cpu
m850w Cooler master PSU modular. ( no issues as far )

Parts i have to upgrade with at the moment
8 gb ddr3 performance ram..
5700 radeon graphics card.

Currently my computer runs well however some games hang a little such as mass effect 2, front mission evolved etc.
I attempted to upgrade to a 5700 Radeon but i ended up with bizzare graphical issues and my motherboard refused the card.

What i am wondering firstly guys is.... what graphics cards can i upgrade to with my asus striker 2 formula?
and is it worth upgrading my motherboard to another 775 board that supports ddr3 ram? or should i just wait to upgrade all the way to an i5 or i7 architecture/mobo/cpu

sooo yeah... any info would be appreciated im trying to work out what to do. just graphics upgrade... mobo + ram + graphics but keeping cpu... only purchasing a mobo.... or buy new mobo and cpu

Solution
HD5770 and GTX260 are similar in performance. It does not make sense to upgrade only motherboard and ram just to get DDR3, a full CPU/mobo/ram makes more sense.
Looks like the issue you had was the ver2.1 card in an older 1.x slot. Any new Nvidia card are version 2.0 and should work fine.
HD5770 and GTX260 are similar in performance. It does not make sense to upgrade only motherboard and ram just to get DDR3, a full CPU/mobo/ram makes more sense.
Looks like the issue you had was the ver2.1 card in an older 1.x slot. Any new Nvidia card are version 2.0 and should work fine.

Solution

john the swift

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009

In regards to the 5770 bein similar performance to the gtx 260. i had the 5700 of mine working breifly and i had 0 issues in game until my pc rejected it from the slot issue. but my 260 has reeeeeal bad slow down issues that make some games impossible to play. and as for the upgrade.. i already have a card/ram just no mobo/cpu to upgrade to