Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking hd 6950 2 gig with msi afterburner?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 29, 2011 1:39:52 PM

Hi guys i have a gigabite hd 6950 2 gig,i am looking to overclock the card and was just wondering,what are the safe limits to overclock?i dont have my card unlocked to a 6970,and really dont want to,could you guys please tell me what settings yous have in msi afterburner which is stable for yous?and if it made much difference from stock,thanks guys :p 
June 29, 2011 2:21:25 PM

Hi , i got 2 asus 6950 reference designs both flashed to sapphire 6970 bios. Working flawlessy for 3 months so far.

In terms of overclocking, just up your core 20mhz a time and run a bench test like msi kombustor each time you up the core. Check for artifacts and freezes, you can also check your fps.

When you start getting artifacts, back down by 20 - 30 mhz then move on to the memory clocks. Do the same but in 10mhz increments.

I got 10 fps more in some games by oc. there are benchies on google to check this.

y not just flash it to 6970, does it have dual bios switch?
June 29, 2011 2:41:59 PM

Thanks m8,Yes my card does have a dual bios switch,but i have read in a few places,to to flash it,should I,thanks ;) 
June 30, 2011 7:49:02 AM

Personally I am one of those people that is always tryin to make things better/faster lol.

I think you should mate its worth it.

My 3dmark vantage scores at stock 6950 crossfire was 29812

My 3dmark scores with the flashed 6950's is now 34691

So a fairly big increase.

Here is the guide mate:

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcar...

If i were you I would try the sapphire bios 1st, I tried loads of different versions and i kept getting no display on the card, I then tried the sapphire bios and it booted and worked fine.

Dont worry if you get no display or have any problems you have the dual switch as a backup.

Just do a bit of research on the gigabyte 6950 bios flash before you jump in.

Good luck.
!