CPU Voltage Settings

R3TRO

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Hi

I should still like to know, If someone upgrades a CPU (with a different voltage from the already installed CPU) into a motherboard that has no physical jumper settings to change before switching on the power, How do you set the new CPU voltage without damaging it? If you go straight into the BIOS does the BIOS only use say, a tiny amount of voltage that won't harm the CPU, giving you the chance to then set the new CPU voltage to the correct level? Or will going into the BIOS straight away still damage the new CPU due to the voltage being set at the previous CPU level??

It seems to be a chicken or the egg situation - how do you set the CPU voltage without frying the CPU if you need to put the CPU in to get to the BIOS to set the CPU voltage?

Thank you

americanbrian

Distinguished
reset the bios with a jumper and it will revert to "default" settings where it detects the voltage that the cpu wants.

you can alternatively take the battery out of the motherboard for 10-20 seconds.

Problem solved...

P.S. this would only be an issue if you manually set the voltage previously, otherwise the BIOS "knows" to check the voltage requirements every boot.

alhanelem

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
you can go into the BIOS with the old cpu and set it to default, then it will run the new pu at default settings too,
americanbrian is right with the BIOS checking every boot time

R3TRO

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011

Thanks for you speedy reply americanbrain, your comments will help greatly, I very much appreciate it.

Am I right in thinking then, that if after the BIOS has been set to default (by any method) and a CPU that requires a lower voltage than the current BIOS is capable of (i.e outdated BIOS) is installed, the BIOS would auto detect the required voltage but wouldn't start the voltage setting process, the BIOS just wouldn't start and the CPU would be unharmed?

Thank you.

R3TRO

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011

Thanks for you speedy reply alhanelem, I very much appreciate it. you made a good point I'll do just as you suggest.

Am I right in thinking then, that if after the BIOS has been set to default (by any method) and a CPU that requires a lower voltage than the current BIOS is capable of (i.e outdated BIOS) is installed, the BIOS would auto detect the required voltage but wouldn't start the voltage setting process, the BIOS just wouldn't start and the CPU would be unharmed?

Thank you

Dogsnake

Distinguished
As long as the MB bios version recognizes the cpu type, is set to default values and the values set to the auto mode you will be OK. There is no set default value, Auto is the default setting.