Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need help with new build

Last response: in Systems
August 31, 2011 5:27:56 PM

So i built my pc i5 2500k with a gigabyte z68xp ud3p and seasonic x 650w psu. My pc starts up and the leds on the mobo turn on, all fans spin, and a few seconds later it turns off and then restarts again. Can anyone tell me what is going on? I dont get anything on my screen or any sounds.

More about : build

August 31, 2011 5:35:01 PM

Have you connected both the 24pin motherboard connection and the 4/8pin power on the motherboard aswell?

Are you using a graphics card? Does this have all the necessary power plugged in?
m
l
August 31, 2011 5:35:07 PM

"So i built my pc i5 2500k with a gigabyte z68xp ud3p and seasonic x 650w psu. My pc starts up and the leds on the mobo turn on, all fans spin, and a few seconds later it turns off and then restarts again. Can anyone tell me what is going on? I dont get anything on my screen or any sounds."

In my opinion, it is most likely an issue with your power supply. It could have a problem, and I don't know how trustworthy of a brand Seasonic is because I've never heard of them. Go for a reliable and well known brand for power supplies like Antec or Corsair. Antec's 620 watt power supply is $59.99 (USD), the Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W. It can also be brought down to $39.99 with a rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Overall my guess is that your power supply is faulty, or doesn't actually supply 650W of power, maybe 300-400W. Try a new power supply or test it on a different pc.
m
l
Related resources
August 31, 2011 5:38:32 PM

SeaSonic is a very very reputable PSU brand.
m
l
August 31, 2011 5:39:46 PM

fallout3masseffect2 said:
"So i built my pc i5 2500k with a gigabyte z68xp ud3p and seasonic x 650w psu. My pc starts up and the leds on the mobo turn on, all fans spin, and a few seconds later it turns off and then restarts again. Can anyone tell me what is going on? I dont get anything on my screen or any sounds."

In my opinion, it is most likely an issue with your power supply. It could have a problem, and I don't know how trustworthy of a brand Seasonic is because I've never heard of them. Go for a reliable and well known brand for power supplies like Antec or Corsair. Antec's 620 watt power supply is $59.99 (USD), the Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W. It can also be brought down to $39.99 with a rebate.

Overall my guess is that your power supply is faulty, or doesn't actually supply 650W of power, maybe 300-400W. Try a new power supply or test it on a different pc.

you've never heard of seasonic? perhaps it would better if you didn't post in help threads until you get a little bit more knowledge and experience under your belt. i'm not trying to be a jerk, but in these situations your lack of knowledge can hurt rather than help. seasonic manufactures high quality power supplies on par with antec and corsair.
m
l
August 31, 2011 5:40:39 PM

yes i have connected the 24 pin and the 8 pin to the motherboard. The case fan, cpu fan and video card fan all boot up. Then after a few seconds all will shut off and then turn back on.

The video card works because I'm using it again from my old pc. In regards to the PSU it is one of the best top quality psu's around according to the reviews.
m
l
August 31, 2011 5:42:52 PM

Your right, seasonic do make very good PSUs.

If you have both the motherboard power cables plugged in and all the necessary graphics card power cables plugged in aswell im not too sure what else to suggest.

Other than trying a different wall socket, or re-seating the RAM my knowledge of PSU trouble shooting is fairly limited
m
l
August 31, 2011 5:44:32 PM

could it be the motherboard or cpu as well? And I also get no video on the screen
m
l
August 31, 2011 5:45:21 PM

Ok, thanks for letting em know about Seasonic. I had never seen anyone mentioned them, nor on newegg.com or tigerdirect.com , so thanks for clearing that up for me.
m
l
August 31, 2011 5:50:25 PM

josmil1 said:
could it be the motherboard or cpu as well? And I also get no video on the screen

you might want to invest in a case speaker if you don't already have one, they're nearly free, and can provide critical troubleshooting information when you can't actually get your system up and running.

you should find the beep error codes in your motherboard manual.
m
l
September 1, 2011 1:16:15 AM

So it is definitely not the power supply. I tested it on my old build and it works, my video card also works. Therefore, I say its either the cpu or the motherboard.
m
l
September 1, 2011 1:27:32 AM

josmil1 said:
So i built my pc i5 2500k with a gigabyte z68xp ud3p and seasonic x 650w psu. My pc starts up and the leds on the mobo turn on, all fans spin, and a few seconds later it turns off and then restarts again. Can anyone tell me what is going on? I dont get anything on my screen or any sounds.

sounds like it is the brass standoffs shorting out the motherboard. are there any standoffs without screws in them?
m
l
September 1, 2011 1:30:28 AM

theres 1 standoff that doesn't have a screw. I only have 8 of them. I took out the new motherboard and put my old one, and my old one is working perfectly.
m
l
September 1, 2011 3:52:28 AM

well screw the last one in. it really sounds like it is shorting out. that is what happened to me.
m
l
September 1, 2011 3:53:49 AM

I don't have anymore. It also seems like the pins on the mobo where the cpu goes, they all look bent
m
l
September 1, 2011 3:55:02 AM

josmil1 said:
I don't have anymore. It also seems like the pins on the mobo where the cpu goes, they all look bent

that wouldnt explain the turning off and restarting again.
m
l
September 1, 2011 3:56:10 AM

take out that unused standoff then see what you get. and while your mobo is out put it on a piece of cardboard and test it from there to see if it is partly the cpu pins
m
l
September 1, 2011 3:57:46 AM

wouldn't my old motherboard be short circuiting as well? its in the same case with the 8 screws and i've been using it for a few years to date with no problems.
m
l
September 1, 2011 4:15:37 AM

Just to clear up that first misconception, Seasonic MAKES most of the good PSUs that Antec and Corsair SELL. Antec and Corsair do not make PSUs.

On to the issue. A constant reset can mean anything. The board is simply failing to POST and re-attempting.

Your first steps are ALWAYS these, outlined clearly. Do them all.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

If that doesn't clear up your POST issues let us know.
m
l
September 1, 2011 4:34:11 AM

I have tried all of those steps. The only thing I dont have is the motherboard/case speaker, and almost all the pins in the cpu socket are bent. Should I just RMA both the cpu and the mobo?
m
l

Best solution

September 1, 2011 4:36:17 AM

Well, the board at least.
September 1, 2011 7:49:00 AM

CPU pins certainly shouldn't be bent. So if possible id get that swapped as a priority.

When you insert the CPU in the socket, very GENTLY place it on, it should require no force at all. Make sure the notches on the sides line up and make sure its resting properly on top of the socket. Then use the metal bar on the side of the ZIF socket to latch it down.

When I placed my build together the bar was very stiff and there was a sound of scraping metal and the socket locked in the CPU. As long as the CPU was correctly placed to begin with however this is to be expected.

Just be extra careful and check a video build guide if your unsure. CPU's are very delicate components.
m
l
September 1, 2011 11:11:46 AM

Yea, I placed it in the correct orientation. When bringin down, the latch it was very stiff. I'm going to RMA the motherboard today. I just hope the cpu isn't damaged as well
m
l
September 1, 2011 12:15:46 PM

You should be able to see if the CPU is damaged just by looking at the pins.
m
l
September 1, 2011 12:39:13 PM

The cpu(i5 2500k) doesn't have any pins. I'm just scared the contacts might be damaged. The pins on the motherboard are all bent
m
l
September 1, 2011 1:19:11 PM

Ah yes, apologies im getting mixed up with LGA and PGA CPU's.

Easiest solution really is to get the motherboard swapped out.

If you;ve tested the PSU and various other components with your other build, there's pretty much only the motherboard that could be wrong. You've narrows it down to the root cause id say.

One more thing i haven't asked - What RAM are you using? It could be that your using 1.65v RAM when you should be using 1.5v RAM with a z68 socket 1155 motherboard. <-- Thats about the last thing I can think to try before blaming the motherboard.
m
l
September 1, 2011 5:25:57 PM

my ram is 8gb gskill 1600 1.5v this is the direct link to it.

I contacted newegg and asked for a replacement and they are going to file a claim on the motherboard. So that is going to take 7-10 days according to the person. Hopefully they can replace it.
m
l
September 14, 2011 3:04:19 AM

Ok so i got the new mobo and i built my pc outside the case and it works beautifully. However when its in the case it turns on for a quick second and then turns back off. The case has to be shorting it. Could it be the metal tabs in the io shield making it short?
m
l
September 14, 2011 3:08:38 AM

check your standoffs.
m
l
September 14, 2011 3:13:51 AM

What am i supposed to look for? They are all installed properly. Also my old build worked perfectly in there with those same standoffs
m
l
September 14, 2011 3:42:59 AM

try using less too. i slipped a piece of plastic in between a standoff when it happened to me.
m
l
September 14, 2011 4:38:12 AM

I tried using 2 less and it still did the same thing. I'm using my build outside the case while typing this right now. I have no idea what else it can be other than the i/o shield.

With my old build in the case it works fine. So I don't think it can be the standoffs
m
l
September 14, 2011 4:50:44 AM

umm...what case do you have?
m
l
September 14, 2011 5:15:37 AM

It does not have the model # or name anywhere inside or outside case. It was a custom built back from 2005. I'm guessing purchasing a new case would solve the problem? Or is there anything else I can do about it?
m
l
September 14, 2011 6:28:31 AM

It would be nice to narrow it down a bit. Could it be the power or reset buttons?

Is there a bad solder or long contact coming from the backside of the motherboard making contact despite the standoffs? Do you have a cooler that uses a metal backplate, and is that making contact with something on the back of the board?

Provided it's not one of those a new case might be your option.

I have seen some I/O shield issues in the past. Some of the "tabs" on a shield have to be bent quite a bit sometimes so that they don't get in the way... I have even seen some of those tabs slip into rear ports and cause shorts.
m
l
September 15, 2011 1:00:57 AM

So I finally got the build to work inside the case. It is definitely not the standoffs. I took out the I/O shield and shorted the power switch and it booted up fine. However, when I connected all the front panel connectors in their proper locations it would turn on for a few seconds and then back off.

It has to be either the I/O shield or the front panel connectors. One thing I notice is that my power LED connector has 2 holes while on the motherboard it has 3.
m
l
September 15, 2011 1:10:11 AM

You should probably just spring for a new case.
m
l
September 25, 2011 3:55:19 AM

Best answer selected by josmil1.
m
l
!