Show Me The Money

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

Who'd of thunk it? Nintendo is the most profitable.

http://www.dfcint.com/news/prmar2205.html

Top Video Game Companies Generate Annual Revenue of $25 Billion
According to DFC Intelligence

San Diego, CA --March 22, 2005

A new report released by DFC Intelligence takes a close look at the top
publishers in the video game and interactive entertainment industry.
According to the report there are several factors that leading
companies share in common. These include expansion internationally,
platform and business model diversity and a focus on core franchises
that build value over time. Leading companies like Activision,
Electronic Arts and Square Enix have a global business, are bringing
core franchises to online and mobile platforms and are looking at
emerging opportunities like advertising in games.

The seventeen companies in the report reported fiscal 2004 revenue of
$24.5 billion, down 3% from fiscal 2003. So far fiscal 2005 revenue is
up 3%. The four leading companies, Sony, Nintendo, Electronic Arts and
Microsoft, dominate the market and reported fiscal 2004 revenue of
$16.7 million. In terms of revenue, Sony is the clear market leader,
having generated $45 billion in game related revenue from fiscal 1998
through 2004. However, Nintendo has been the most profitable company,
earning about $7 billion in operating income from fiscal 1998 to fiscal
2004, compared with about $4.5 billion for Sony (from its games
division) and $1.8 billion for Electronic Arts. Microsoft is clearly
an up-and-coming powerhouse, although the company has reported heavy
losses from its games division.

Beyond the top four companies, the interactive entertainment market
remains fragmented. Other then Electronic Arts solidifying its
position as the leading software publisher there has been very little
consolidation in the game market over the past few years. Electronic
Arts is in a league of its own and other software publishers are in a
tight race for a distant second place.

The new report, Market Leaders in the Video Game and Interactive
Entertainment Industry, is 750 pages and analyzes each publisher's
history, financial performance, the strengths/weaknesses of their
corporate strategy, product lineup, development teams, marketing and
distribution skills and future potential. DFC Intelligence is a market
research firm focused on video games, PC games, online games and
interactive entertainment. They offer free monthly research briefs to
anyone signing up at http://www.dfcint.com/mailing_signup.html. Other
DFC Intelligence reports include The Business of Computer and Video
Games 2004, The Impact of Licensing in Interactive Entertainment, The
Online Game Market, and. Worldwide Market Forecasts for the Video Game
and Interactive Entertainment Industry.

Contact: David Cole
60 answers Last reply
More about show money
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    <snip>

    Old news.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    In article <1112214548.993927.260140@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
    holleyrp@delanet.com says...

    >Who'd of thunk it? Nintendo is the most profitable.
    >

    >http://www.dfcint.com/news/prmar2205.html
    >
    >Top Video Game Companies Generate Annual Revenue of $25 Billion
    >According to DFC Intelligence
    >
    >San Diego, CA --March 22, 2005
    >
    >A new report released by DFC Intelligence takes a close look at the top
    >publishers in the video game and interactive entertainment industry.
    >According to the report there are several factors that leading
    >companies share in common. These include expansion internationally,
    >platform and business model diversity and a focus on core franchises
    >that build value over time. Leading companies like Activision,
    >Electronic Arts and Square Enix have a global business, are bringing
    >core franchises to online and mobile platforms and are looking at
    >emerging opportunities like advertising in games.
    >
    >The seventeen companies in the report reported fiscal 2004 revenue of
    >$24.5 billion, down 3% from fiscal 2003. So far fiscal 2005 revenue is
    >up 3%. The four leading companies, Sony, Nintendo, Electronic Arts and
    >Microsoft, dominate the market and reported fiscal 2004 revenue of
    >$16.7 million. In terms of revenue, Sony is the clear market leader,
    >having generated $45 billion in game related revenue from fiscal 1998
    >through 2004. However, Nintendo has been the most profitable company,
    >earning about $7 billion in operating income from fiscal 1998 to fiscal
    >2004, compared with about $4.5 billion for Sony (from its games
    >division) and $1.8 billion for Electronic Arts. Microsoft is clearly
    >an up-and-coming powerhouse, although the company has reported heavy
    >losses from its games division.
    >
    >Beyond the top four companies, the interactive entertainment market
    >remains fragmented. Other then Electronic Arts solidifying its
    >position as the leading software publisher there has been very little
    >consolidation in the game market over the past few years. Electronic
    >Arts is in a league of its own and other software publishers are in a
    >tight race for a distant second place.
    >
    >The new report, Market Leaders in the Video Game and Interactive
    >Entertainment Industry, is 750 pages and analyzes each publisher's
    >history, financial performance, the strengths/weaknesses of their
    >corporate strategy, product lineup, development teams, marketing and
    >distribution skills and future potential. DFC Intelligence is a market
    >research firm focused on video games, PC games, online games and
    >interactive entertainment. They offer free monthly research briefs to
    >anyone signing up at http://www.dfcint.com/mailing_signup.html. Other
    >DFC Intelligence reports include The Business of Computer and Video
    >Games 2004, The Impact of Licensing in Interactive Entertainment, The
    >Online Game Market, and. Worldwide Market Forecasts for the Video Game
    >and Interactive Entertainment Industry.
    >
    >Contact: David Cole

    Nintendo profits are heading in the wrong direction right now though and
    Sony's are heading in the right direction. Nintendo needs to embrace older
    gamers if they want to keep raking in the money.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
    > Who'd of thunk it? Nintendo is the most profitable.

    Most likely due to their heavy investing in the US dollar and not actually
    through merchandise. Nintendo lost big time a couple of years ago on the
    dollar, but are now making quite a nice tody sum.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    Robert P Holley wrote:
    > Who'd of thunk it? Nintendo is the most profitable.

    Anybody who follows the gaming news would have thunk it (or who knows a
    thing or two about costs and profit). Microsoft has lost billions, and
    Sony has not only taken a lot of losses too but also had major personnel
    shifts and difficulty meeting sales projections in all their hardware
    area. Not to mention this latest injunction, and their cancellation of
    a PS3 press conference today.

    --

  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
    > Nintendo profits are heading in the wrong direction right now though and
    > Sony's are heading in the right direction. Nintendo needs to embrace older
    > gamers if they want to keep raking in the money.

    Yes, in a bad year Nintendo only makes $500,000,000 in profit, whereas
    Microsoft has lost 2.1 billion dollars from their home and entertainment
    division (it took Christmas 2004 and Halo 2 selling six million units
    for them to have one measly quarter of profit, but even then it doesn't
    negate the billions in losses).

    As for Sony's profits heading in the right direction, what universe are
    you from? It helps to do some reading rather than make assumptions.

    --

  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    Robert P Holley wrote:
    > Who'd of thunk it? Nintendo is the most profitable.

    Everyone who's been paying attention?

    Seriously, why do you think Billgatus wanted to buy Nintendo out? Their
    game studio is on a serious profit basis. If they didn't have to worry
    about the losses on the hardware they'd be a *serious* cash cow. Thing
    His Billness doesn't realise is that true innovation (like shown by
    Nintendo) comes from complete control with the ability to specify
    whatever hardware and software combo required. Put Nintendo as a
    software house of Crimoborg and would they be as free to innovate the
    way they do? I don't think so. All creative control of the hardware
    aspect would be lost. They'd prolly still make a shitload of money though.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    In article <0lG2e.587$Fh4.229@fe2.columbus.rr.com>, zork@columbus.rr.com
    says...

    >MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
    >> Nintendo profits are heading in the wrong direction right now though and
    >> Sony's are heading in the right direction. Nintendo needs to embrace older
    >> gamers if they want to keep raking in the money.
    >
    >Yes, in a bad year Nintendo only makes $500,000,000 in profit, whereas
    >Microsoft has lost 2.1 billion dollars from their home and entertainment
    >division (it took Christmas 2004 and Halo 2 selling six million units
    >for them to have one measly quarter of profit, but even then it doesn't
    >negate the billions in losses).
    >
    >As for Sony's profits heading in the right direction, what universe are
    >you from? It helps to do some reading rather than make assumptions.

    Come back and see me in a year or two. Did you read the whole article where it
    mentions that Microsoft will be a force to be reckoned with in the videogame
    market?
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    Jacob Oost wrote:
    > MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
    >
    >> Nintendo profits are heading in the wrong direction right now though
    >> and Sony's are heading in the right direction. Nintendo needs to
    >> embrace older gamers if they want to keep raking in the money.
    >

    > Yes, in a bad year Nintendo only makes $500,000,000 in profit, whereas
    > Microsoft has lost 2.1 billion dollars from their home and entertainment
    > division (it took Christmas 2004 and Halo 2 selling six million units

    XBox 2 needs to make them some serious money. I can't see them carrying
    it on through XB3 unless 2 is a winner.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    "MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
> [...]
    >>corporate strategy, product lineup, development teams, marketing and
    >>distribution skills and future potential. DFC Intelligence is a market
    >>research firm focused on video games, PC games, online games and
    >>interactive entertainment. They offer free monthly research briefs to
    >>anyone signing up at http://www.dfcint.com/mailing_signup.html. Other
    >>DFC Intelligence reports include The Business of Computer and Video
    >>Games 2004, The Impact of Licensing in Interactive Entertainment, The
    >>Online Game Market, and. Worldwide Market Forecasts for the Video Game
    >>and Interactive Entertainment Industry.
    >>
    >>Contact: David Cole
    >>

    > Nintendo profits are heading in the wrong direction right now though and
    > Sony's are heading in the right direction. Nintendo needs to embrace older
    > gamers if they want to keep raking in the money.

    *rolls eyes*

    Heading in the wrong direction? Embrace older gamers you say.

    While you say that, Nintendo will rake in the profits from multiple revenue
    streams.

    Sony would have to reverse their huge chunk of debt and stop making a loss
    on each PSP to start "heading in the right direction" profit-wise.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    In article <geR2e.28$kr.27@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net>,
    richard.strong@ntl'remove'world.com says...

> [...]
    >>>DFC Intelligence reports include The Business of Computer and Video
    >>>Games 2004, The Impact of Licensing in Interactive Entertainment, The
    >>>Online Game Market, and. Worldwide Market Forecasts for the Video Game
    >>>and Interactive Entertainment Industry.
    >>>
    >>>Contact: David Cole
    >>>

    >> Nintendo profits are heading in the wrong direction right now though and
    >> Sony's are heading in the right direction. Nintendo needs to embrace older
    >> gamers if they want to keep raking in the money.
    >>

    >*rolls eyes*
    >
    >Heading in the wrong direction? Embrace older gamers you say.
    >
    >While you say that, Nintendo will rake in the profits from multiple revenue
    >streams.
    >

    >Sony would have to reverse their huge chunk of debt and stop making a loss
    >on each PSP to start "heading in the right direction" profit-wise.

    Just watch. The DS will not even come close to the SP's success and we all
    know how successful the Gamecube was. I love Nintendo but they are heading in
    the wrong direction.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:

    > Just watch. The DS will not even come close to the SP's success and we all
    > know how successful the Gamecube was. I love Nintendo but they are heading in
    > the wrong direction.

    Profitability is the wrong direction? Man what planet are you on?
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    In article <424c1a22$0$94538$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net>,
    phil_the_lick@NOSPAM.hotmail.com says...

    >MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
    >>
    >> Just watch. The DS will not even come close to the SP's success and we all
    >> know how successful the Gamecube was. I love Nintendo but they are heading
    in
    >> the wrong direction.
    >>

    >Profitability is the wrong direction? Man what planet are you on?

    The planet of reality. Shrinking profit margins are not a good thing. Just
    look at the stock of any company who's profits are shrinking. Yes they still
    made a profit but when your profits are shrinking that means you are going in
    the wrong direction. The best thing would be to have profit along with
    growth/increased profit margins. Thats all I said was that they are going in
    the wrong direction. Please read the following article.

    http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3137915
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 16:21:04 +0000, MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:

    > The planet of reality. Shrinking profit margins are not a good thing. Just
    > look at the stock of any company who's profits are shrinking. Yes they still
    > made a profit but when your profits are shrinking that means you are going in
    > the wrong direction. The best thing would be to have profit along with
    > growth/increased profit margins. Thats all I said was that they are going in
    > the wrong direction. Please read the following article.

    He's right. You have to have good margins. with low margins a
    shift in sales could take you from black to red.

    Take the airlines. They had low margins and after 9/11 it only
    took a few days of 0 sales to put them in the red.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    > In article <424c1a22$0$94538$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net>,
    > phil_the_lick@NOSPAM.hotmail.com says...
    >>
    >>MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Just watch. The DS will not even come close to the SP's success and we
    >>> all
    >>> know how successful the Gamecube was. I love Nintendo but they are
    >>> heading
    > in
    >>> the wrong direction.
    >>>

    >>Profitability is the wrong direction? Man what planet are you on?
    >

    > The planet of reality. Shrinking profit margins are not a good thing. Just
    > look at the stock of any company who's profits are shrinking. Yes they
    > still
    > made a profit but when your profits are shrinking that means you are going
    > in
    > the wrong direction. The best thing would be to have profit along with
    > growth/increased profit margins. Thats all I said was that they are going
    > in
    > the wrong direction. Please read the following article.
    >
    > http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3137915

    Ah, If i remember correctly this has to do with the instability of the
    Japanese economy, currency, exchange rates or something or other. I'm not
    exactly clear as the exact reason, but I do remember it was out of Nintendo
    (and other Japanese company's) hands. They still made a profit, remember?
    Not a loss.. a profit, even in the face of this Japanese financial crisis.

    I do believe the Nintendo DS is based off old technology that presumably
    went through R&D a while ago. So, I'm presuming they've already covered the
    R&D costs.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
    >>Profitability is the wrong direction? Man what planet are you on?
    >

    > The planet of reality.

    Really?

    > Shrinking profit margins are not a good thing.

    The operative words there are "profit margins". OK they might be
    shrinking but they are competing in a marketplace where the other two
    players are making losses. A shrinking profit is still a profit.

    > Just look at the stock of any company who's profits are shrinking.
    Yes they still
    > made a profit but when your profits are shrinking that means you are going in
    > the wrong direction.

    And what does it mean for a loss oh wise one? You call yourself MS
    fanboy #1 but what's your expert market prediction if MS do the same
    next time round as they do this time huh? From the gaming industry POV
    its MS who are taking the big risk, not Nintendo. Nintendo have made a
    profit this time round, MS have not.

    > The best thing would be to have profit along with
    > growth/increased profit margins.

    If your granny had balls she'd be your granddad. A grandparent is still
    a grandparent. Surreal huh?

    > Thats all I said was that they are going in the wrong direction.

    How? They made a profit this time round. Enough of a profit for them to
    invest in another go. 'nuff said.

    > Please read the following article.
    >
    > http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3137915

    Why bother? I know what I like. I buy what I like. Just like the rest of
    the VG consumers. Companies that show profitability will grow. The
    amount of profitibility is a matter for the stockholders. If you had $1M
    to invest in a console manufacturer for the next round who would you bet on?
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
    >>Yes, in a bad year Nintendo only makes $500,000,000 in profit, whereas
    >>Microsoft has lost 2.1 billion dollars from their home and entertainment
    >>division (it took Christmas 2004 and Halo 2 selling six million units
    >>for them to have one measly quarter of profit, but even then it doesn't
    >>negate the billions in losses).
    >>
    >>As for Sony's profits heading in the right direction, what universe are
    >>you from? It helps to do some reading rather than make assumptions.
    >

    > Come back and see me in a year or two.

    Good comeback.
    > Did you read the whole article where it
    > mentions that Microsoft will be a force to be reckoned with in the videogame
    > market?

    Ah, so you find one business analyst who says something favorable about
    the company you love, and this means something? Other analysts see MS
    on a decline, as they are losing marketshare in the server business and
    they are starting to see decline in their desktop OS market. Their home
    and entertainment division is losing a ton of money, their office
    division is seeing major competition from open source solutions, and
    even your little snippet that mentions MS becoming a force to reckon
    with in the console business admits that they are leaking money. Their
    console business better start picking up or a lot of MS bigwigs are
    going to want to pull the plug before any more billions are lost. Just
    look at what they've spent, they were supposed to have at least half the
    market by now, and they're still a distant second to Sony.

    --

  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    In article <Go03e.231$gz3.102@fe1.columbus.rr.com>, zork@columbus.rr.com
    says...

    >MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
    >>>Yes, in a bad year Nintendo only makes $500,000,000 in profit, whereas
    >>>Microsoft has lost 2.1 billion dollars from their home and entertainment
    >>>division (it took Christmas 2004 and Halo 2 selling six million units
    >>>for them to have one measly quarter of profit, but even then it doesn't
    >>>negate the billions in losses).
    >>>
    >>>As for Sony's profits heading in the right direction, what universe are
    >>>you from? It helps to do some reading rather than make assumptions.
    >>

    >> Come back and see me in a year or two.
    >
    >Good comeback.
    >> Did you read the whole article where it
    >> mentions that Microsoft will be a force to be reckoned with in the
    videogame
    >> market?
    >>

    >Ah, so you find one business analyst who says something favorable about
    >the company you love, and this means something? Other analysts see MS
    >on a decline, as they are losing marketshare in the server business and
    >they are starting to see decline in their desktop OS market. Their home
    >and entertainment division is losing a ton of money, their office
    >division is seeing major competition from open source solutions, and
    >even your little snippet that mentions MS becoming a force to reckon
    >with in the console business admits that they are leaking money. Their
    >console business better start picking up or a lot of MS bigwigs are
    >going to want to pull the plug before any more billions are lost. Just
    >look at what they've spent, they were supposed to have at least half the
    >market by now, and they're still a distant second to Sony.

    Like I said...come back in a year or two.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    In article <424c66ee$0$63416$ed2e19e4@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net>,
    phil_the_lickWHOHATESSPAMESOREMOVETHECAPS@hotmail.com says...

    >MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
    >>>Profitability is the wrong direction? Man what planet are you on?
    >>

    >> The planet of reality.
    >
    >Really?
    >

    >> Shrinking profit margins are not a good thing.
    >
    >The operative words there are "profit margins". OK they might be
    >shrinking but they are competing in a marketplace where the other two
    >players are making losses. A shrinking profit is still a profit.

    And thats what I said.

    > > Just look at the stock of any company who's profits are shrinking.
    >Yes they still
    >> made a profit but when your profits are shrinking that means you are going
    in
    >> the wrong direction.
    >
    >And what does it mean for a loss oh wise one? You call yourself MS
    >fanboy #1 but what's your expert market prediction if MS do the same
    >next time round as they do this time huh? From the gaming industry POV
    >its MS who are taking the big risk, not Nintendo. Nintendo have made a
    >profit this time round, MS have not.

    You have to take big risk to make big money. Thats why Nintendo is heading in
    the wrong direction and will continue to do so.

    >> The best thing would be to have profit along with
    >> growth/increased profit margins.
    >
    >If your granny had balls she'd be your granddad. A grandparent is still
    >a grandparent. Surreal huh?

    Like I said, they are heading in the wrong direction and will continue to do
    so. Surreal huh!

    >> Thats all I said was that they are going in the wrong direction.
    >
    >How? They made a profit this time round. Enough of a profit for them to
    >invest in another go. 'nuff said.

    I thought I just explained it but for those of you with short attention spans
    here it is again. Shrinking profits. And what do shrinking profits eventually
    become if the direction is not changed. Bingo, LOSSES.

    > > Please read the following article.
    >>
    >> http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3137915
    >
    >Why bother? I know what I like. I buy what I like. Just like the rest of
    >the VG consumers. Companies that show profitability will grow. The
    >amount of profitibility is a matter for the stockholders. If you had $1M
    >to invest in a console manufacturer for the next round who would you bet on?
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    > Nintendo profits are heading in the wrong direction right now though
    > and Sony's are heading in the right direction.

    Prove it.
    --
    McQualude
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    In article <Xns962AEF18C3F64mcqualude@66.26.32.8>, mcqualude@hoohoo.com
    says...

    >> Nintendo profits are heading in the wrong direction right now though
    >> and Sony's are heading in the right direction.
    >
    >Prove it.
    >--
    >McQualude

    Look for the link I posted. I'm not going to hold your hand.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    > I thought I just explained it but for those of you with short
    > attention spans here it is again. Shrinking profits. And what do
    > shrinking profits eventually become if the direction is not changed.
    > Bingo, LOSSES.

    Speaking of shrinking profits...
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=MSFT&d=t
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=SNE.TO&d=t

    You should probably quit before making yourself look even more foolish.
    --
    McQualude
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    MS#1Fanboy-JoJo:

    > Look for the link I posted. I'm not going to hold your hand.

    That link makes you look foolish. Look for the link I posted, which makes
    you look even more foolish. Rather than trying to hold my hand, you should
    educate yourself on a subject before blathering about it.
    --
    Mac Cool
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    > In article <Xns962AEF18C3F64mcqualude@66.26.32.8>, mcqualude@hoohoo.com
    > says...
    >>
    >>> Nintendo profits are heading in the wrong direction right now though
    >>> and Sony's are heading in the right direction.
    >>
    >>Prove it.
    >>--
    >>McQualude
    >

    > Look for the link I posted. I'm not going to hold your hand.

    You can't just keep on telling people to look at that 1up article, all it
    says is Nintendo's profits are down by 43% followed by a bunch of inane
    comments. It doesn't explain why.

    Yen assets being measured in Dollar value and the falling value of the
    Dollar against the Yen resulted in this massive cut in profits for Nintendo.
    Just relax, it's not indicative of anything.

    From one of the article's that McQualude posted about Sony's complete lack
    of profits for one quarter: "That helped make up for declines in operating
    income due to the fluctuation of the yen." Due to the fluctuation of the
    yen... I'll repeat that for you.

    Fluctuation of the yen
    Fluctuation of the yen
    Fluctuation of the yen
    Fluctuation of the yen
    Fluctuation of the yen
    Fluctuation of the yen
    Fluctuation of the yen

    Have you got it yet?
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    In article <Xns962B324CFCBCMacCool@130.133.1.4>, Mac@2cool.com says...

    >MS#1Fanboy-JoJo:
    >
    >> Look for the link I posted. I'm not going to hold your hand.
    >
    >That link makes you look foolish. Look for the link I posted, which makes
    >you look even more foolish. Rather than trying to hold my hand, you should
    >educate yourself on a subject before blathering about it.
    >--
    >Mac Cool

    I only stated that Nintendo was heading in the wrong direction. You don't
    think shrinking profits are a bad thing? Keep in school you might just learn
    something. Oh and crummy products means that things will still be sliding.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    McQualude wrote:
    >>I thought I just explained it but for those of you with short
    >>attention spans here it is again. Shrinking profits. And what do
    >>shrinking profits eventually become if the direction is not changed.
    >>Bingo, LOSSES.
    >

    > Speaking of shrinking profits...
    > http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=MSFT&d=t
    > http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=SNE.TO&d=t
    >
    > You should probably quit before making yourself look even more foolish.

    Nice links however he's probably too stupid to understand such simple
    concepts. He's certainly not getting it in this thread even though its
    been explained in simple english several times by several people.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
    > shrinking profits are a bad thing

    What does that make negative profits genius?
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    In article <424d6772$0$63438$ed2e19e4@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net>,
    phil_the_lick@NOSPAM.hotmail.com says...

    >McQualude wrote:
    >>>I thought I just explained it but for those of you with short
    >>>attention spans here it is again. Shrinking profits. And what do
    >>>shrinking profits eventually become if the direction is not changed.
    >>>Bingo, LOSSES.
    >>

    >> Speaking of shrinking profits...
    >> http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=MSFT&d=t
    >> http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=SNE.TO&d=t
    >>
    >> You should probably quit before making yourself look even more foolish.
    >
    >Nice links however he's probably too stupid to understand such simple
    >concepts. He's certainly not getting it in this thread even though its
    >been explained in simple english several times by several people.

    What am I not getting? The only thing I said was that Nintendo was heading in
    the wrong direction. Please tell me in what world that shrinking profit
    margins are the correct direction for a company to go in.
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    In article <424d67df$0$63438$ed2e19e4@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net>,
    phil_the_lick@NOSPAM.hotmail.com says...

    >MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
    >> shrinking profits are a bad thing
    >
    >What does that make negative profits genius?

    When does a company strive for shrinking profit margins genius?
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
    > Look for the link I posted. I'm not going to hold your hand.

    In other words, you've been embarrassed into silence by all the other
    posters here who point out that Nintendo still makes a fortune every
    year and MS and Sony are taking losses. Yeah, Nintendo is headed in the
    wrong direction, by making a half billion dollars on what is a bad year
    for them, coupled with their cash reserves of seven billion, they may
    have to go out of business in forty years (assuming these business
    trends continue, which won't happen).

    --

  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    Richard Strong wrote:
    > Have you got it yet?

    Forget it, he's an admitted fanboy, *and* he's the worst, most ignorant
    kind of fanboy--a Microsoft fanboy. MS fanboys are the technology
    equivalent of the Russians who really liked Stalin. They just don't get
    it and they never will.

    --

  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    In article <Lsg3e.1277$Fh4.959@fe2.columbus.rr.com>, zork@columbus.rr.com
    says...

    >Richard Strong wrote:
    >> Have you got it yet?
    >>

    >Forget it, he's an admitted fanboy, *and* he's the worst, most ignorant
    >kind of fanboy--a Microsoft fanboy. MS fanboys are the technology
    >equivalent of the Russians who really liked Stalin. They just don't get
    >it and they never will.

    I've always gotten the difference between growing and shrinking profits and
    profit margins. You might just get the grasp of it at some point. I just love
    when people talk of shrinking profits or rising losses as if its a good thing.
    Makes a moron like myself feel just a little bit smarter.
  32. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
    > I've always gotten the difference between growing and shrinking profits and
    > profit margins. You might just get the grasp of it at some point. I just love
    > when people talk of shrinking profits or rising losses as if its a good thing.
    > Makes a moron like myself feel just a little bit smarter.

    Just keep clinging to that one little factoid to ignore the fact that
    you've been proven wrong about Sony and MS, *and* that even though sales
    rose in fiscal year 2004, currency fluctuations are the real reason to
    blame for Nintendo's dip in profits. Profit projections for 2005 and
    2006 are significantly higher for Nintendo, and seeing as how they've
    already beaten their projections of how well the DS would sell, I'd say
    they're on track.

    Nevertheless, it's stupid to look at a dip in profits in the period of
    just two or three years and say a company is going under, especially
    when said profits are in the hundreds of millions of dollars range (Sony
    and MS are jealous). Even if these trends continue (and they won't),
    they'd have to go on for well over ten or twenty years (or even thirty
    or forty years), a non-stop profit plunge lasting decades, before
    Nintendo would be "going out of business." A company with vast
    resources like Nintendo's would turn themselves around long before that
    happened.

    --

  33. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
    > "Yeah, Nintendo is headed in the wrong direction, by making a half billion
    > dollars on what is a bad year for them"
    >
    > Right you are! This was a bad year for them.

    It was a bad year in spite of sales being up, because of currency
    fluctuations, not because of anything wrong with the DS or GC, both of
    which are making money for Nintendo (the DS for instance, is doing
    better than Nintendo had projected).

    Has it sunk into *you* that when $500,000,000 is Nintendo's version of
    "bad," then Nintendo ain't in such bad shape after all?

    > This is why I say decisions like
    > the DS and Gamecube have not been in the best interest of Nintendo and this is
    > also why I say they are going in the wrong direction. Now if Nintendo had just
    > put out a kickass handheld and had a console which sold through to huge numbers
    > allowing them to sell massive amounts of software(which is what they are
    > masters of)

    Nintendo consistently sales loads of software, no problem there. As I
    said their profit slump, which you blame on the DS and GC, is largely
    due to currency fluctuations. With Nintendo being the primary publisher
    on the GC, it doesn't need a huge user-base to make a lot of money for
    them, nor do they need to have games that sell fifteen million copies,
    they just need ten games to sell 100,000-1,000,000 copies, and they
    still rake in the dough.

    > then they would be having increasing profits and increasing profit
    > margins. Then I would make a statement that Nintendo was going in the right
    > direction and you wouldn't get so excited over a simple statement that is
    > simply true. This isn't science and I never said anything about Nintendo going
    > out of business in this thread. Remember to check back in a year for the
    > update.

    By which time you will have gone away.

    --

  34. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    In article <lIi3e.1374$Fh4.1084@fe2.columbus.rr.com>, zork@columbus.rr.com
    says...

    >MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
    >> I've always gotten the difference between growing and shrinking profits and
    >> profit margins. You might just get the grasp of it at some point. I just
    love
    >> when people talk of shrinking profits or rising losses as if its a good
    thing.
    >> Makes a moron like myself feel just a little bit smarter.
    >
    >Just keep clinging to that one little factoid to ignore the fact that
    >you've been proven wrong about Sony and MS, *and* that even though sales
    >rose in fiscal year 2004, currency fluctuations are the real reason to
    >blame for Nintendo's dip in profits. Profit projections for 2005 and
    >2006 are significantly higher for Nintendo, and seeing as how they've
    >already beaten their projections of how well the DS would sell, I'd say
    >they're on track.

    LOL!! How are those projections for MS and Sony. LMAO!!! When have I been
    wrong about Sony and MS?
  35. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    Christopher Fowler wrote:
    > He's right. You have to have good margins. with low margins a
    > shift in sales could take you from black to red.
    >
    > Take the airlines. They had low margins and after 9/11 it only
    > took a few days of 0 sales to put them in the red.

    He hasn't shown squat about margins, just profits. Don't confuse
    profits with profit margins like MS fanboy seems to be doing, they don't
    mean the same thing.

    --

  36. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    MS#1Fanboy-JoJo:

    >>Let's review:
    >>Nintendo's profits: $609,900,000
    >>Sony's profits: -$27,000,000
    >>McQualude
    >
    > You bet. I never said MS or Sony was kicking ass even though their
    > products do. I only said that they are heading in the right
    > direction

    Which you are wrong about. The year prior, 2003, the games division was
    Sony's biggest money maker, now their profits are down.

    > (Sony will show a loss because of the PSP startup cost but
    > now its gonna be profit time)

    So a loss by Sony launching a new system is going in the right direction,
    but a loss by Nintendo (who also launched a new system) is the wrong
    direction. I am awed by your nonsensical logic.

    > and that Nintendo is heading in the
    > wrong direction(the DS is a turd). Sony is going to kick much ass
    > with the PSP and MS is going to kick much ass with the Xbox 2. With
    > the DS I can tell that Nintendo is off on one of its Virtual Boy
    > episodes. Like I said...time will tell.

    I suppose if you define 'kicking ass' as 'not making a profit' then yeah,
    MS will be kicking ass.
    --
    McQualude
  37. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    McQualude <mcqualude@hoohoo.com> writes:
    > Let's review:
    > Nintendo's profits: $609,900,000
    > Sony's profits: -$27,000,000

    So, what profits are _typical_ for SCE? We all know that MS has been
    losing money in vast quantities for the entire lifetime of the xbox, but
    presumably SCE made quite a bit of money in the latter days of the PS1;
    is it simply investments in the PS3 that are dragging them down now...?

    -Miles
    --
    Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra. Suddenly it flips over,
    pinning you underneath. At night the ice weasels come. --Nietzsche

    Miles Bader:

    > McQualude <mcqualude@hoohoo.com> writes:
    >> Let's review:
    >> Nintendo's profits: $609,900,000
    >> Sony's profits: -$27,000,000
    >
    > So, what profits are _typical_ for SCE? We all know that MS has been
    > losing money in vast quantities for the entire lifetime of the xbox, but
    > presumably SCE made quite a bit of money in the latter days of the PS1;
    > is it simply investments in the PS3 that are dragging them down now...?

    You can look it up on their website and read financial press releases to
    get less technical info.

    I'm no expert on the gaming business, but I'm sure all the money is in
    software, not hardware. Nintendo is actually making money because they
    create hardware to play their software. Sony has made money in the past
    but nothing like Nintendo.

    Nintendo will never have a library like the PS1 and/or PS2 because they
    are too restrictive and charge too much but it doesn't stop them from
    making money hand over fist.
    --
    Mac Cool
  39. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    In article <Qdn3e.2546$tI6.478@fe2.columbus.rr.com>, zork@columbus.rr.com
    says...

    >Christopher Fowler wrote:
    >> He's right. You have to have good margins. with low margins a
    >> shift in sales could take you from black to red.
    >>
    >> Take the airlines. They had low margins and after 9/11 it only
    >> took a few days of 0 sales to put them in the red.
    >>

    >He hasn't shown squat about margins, just profits. Don't confuse
    >profits with profit margins like MS fanboy seems to be doing, they don't
    >mean the same thing.

    Exactly. Their profits are shrinking along with their profit margins. In other
    words they are spending more money to make less money. Like I said its very
    easy to understand. Does that mean they are going out of business or losing
    money. No and I never said that. I only stated the simple truth that they are
    heading in the wrong direction....nothing more and nothing less. As long as
    they get their next console or handheld right then they will be fine. Another
    screw up and they could have some problems.

    http://www.nintendo.com/corp/report/fiscal2004.pdf
  40. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    In article <Xns962C15E25DDD7mcqualude@66.26.32.8>, mcqualude@hoohoo.com
    says...

    >MS#1Fanboy-JoJo:
    >
    >>>Let's review:
    >>>Nintendo's profits: $609,900,000
    >>>Sony's profits: -$27,000,000
    >>>McQualude
    >>
    >> You bet. I never said MS or Sony was kicking ass even though their
    >> products do. I only said that they are heading in the right
    >> direction
    >
    >Which you are wrong about. The year prior, 2003, the games division was
    >Sony's biggest money maker, now their profits are down.

    Exactly and like I said they are now entering the money making phase for the
    PSP.

    >> (Sony will show a loss because of the PSP startup cost but
    >> now its gonna be profit time)
    >
    >So a loss by Sony launching a new system is going in the right direction,
    >but a loss by Nintendo (who also launched a new system) is the wrong
    >direction. I am awed by your nonsensical logic.

    The PSP kicks much ass and the DS is well the DS(enough said). Like I've been
    saying all along. Just watch Sony and MS and get back to me in a years time.

    >> and that Nintendo is heading in the
    >> wrong direction(the DS is a turd). Sony is going to kick much ass
    >> with the PSP and MS is going to kick much ass with the Xbox 2. With
    >> the DS I can tell that Nintendo is off on one of its Virtual Boy
    >> episodes. Like I said...time will tell.
    >
    >I suppose if you define 'kicking ass' as 'not making a profit' then yeah,
    >MS will be kicking ass.
    >--
    >McQualude

    LOL!!! If earning 8.2 billion dollars is not a profit then paint me pink and
    call me Sally.
  41. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    In article <Xns962C129E2BA66MacCool@130.133.1.4>, Mac@2cool.com says...

    >Miles Bader:
    >
    >> McQualude <mcqualude@hoohoo.com> writes:
    >>> Let's review:
    >>> Nintendo's profits: $609,900,000
    >>> Sony's profits: -$27,000,000
    >>
    >> So, what profits are _typical_ for SCE? We all know that MS has been
    >> losing money in vast quantities for the entire lifetime of the xbox, but
    >> presumably SCE made quite a bit of money in the latter days of the PS1;
    >> is it simply investments in the PS3 that are dragging them down now...?
    >
    >You can look it up on their website and read financial press releases to
    >get less technical info.
    >
    >I'm no expert on the gaming business, but I'm sure all the money is in
    >software, not hardware. Nintendo is actually making money because they
    >create hardware to play their software. Sony has made money in the past
    >but nothing like Nintendo.
    >
    >Nintendo will never have a library like the PS1 and/or PS2 because they
    >are too restrictive and charge too much but it doesn't stop them from
    >making money hand over fist.
    >--
    >Mac Cool

    They will be getting stopped unless that new Revolution system and the new
    gameboy kicks ass. I sure hope they do because I would love a kickass version
    of Zelda(much more life-like).
  42. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
    >>I suppose if you define 'kicking ass' as 'not making a profit' then yeah,
    >>MS will be kicking ass.
    >>--
    >>McQualude
    >

    > LOL!!! If earning 8.2 billion dollars is not a profit then paint me pink and
    > call me Sally.

    He's talking about their home and entertainment division, which has lost
    2.1 billion dollars since the X-Box.

    --

  43. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
    > In article <Qdn3e.2546$tI6.478@fe2.columbus.rr.com>, zork@columbus.rr.com
    > says...
    >
    >>Christopher Fowler wrote:
    >>
    >>>He's right. You have to have good margins. with low margins a
    >>>shift in sales could take you from black to red.
    >>>
    >>>Take the airlines. They had low margins and after 9/11 it only
    >>>took a few days of 0 sales to put them in the red.
    >>>

    >>He hasn't shown squat about margins, just profits. Don't confuse
    >>profits with profit margins like MS fanboy seems to be doing, they don't
    >>mean the same thing.
    >>

    > Exactly. Their profits are shrinking along with their profit margins.

    You have not shown anything to defend this argument.

    > http://www.nintendo.com/corp/report/fiscal2004.pdf

    This info shows that margins for Nintendo are still growing. See page
    36. This info also proves a point I made earlier, that yen appreciation
    against the dollar accounted for their dip in profit in 2004, *not* bad
    sales as they had strong sales last year.

    --

  44. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    In article <zvG3e.3729$tI6.2860@fe2.columbus.rr.com>, zork@columbus.rr.com
    says...

    >MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
    >> In article <Qdn3e.2546$tI6.478@fe2.columbus.rr.com>, zork@columbus.rr.com
    >> says...

    >>>He hasn't shown squat about margins, just profits. Don't confuse
    >>>profits with profit margins like MS fanboy seems to be doing, they don't
    >>>mean the same thing.
    >>>

    >> Exactly. Their profits are shrinking along with their profit margins.
    >
    >You have not shown anything to defend this argument.
    >
    >> http://www.nintendo.com/corp/report/fiscal2004.pdf
    >>

    >This info shows that margins for Nintendo are still growing. See page
    >36. This info also proves a point I made earlier, that yen appreciation
    >against the dollar accounted for their dip in profit in 2004, *not* bad
    >sales as they had strong sales last year.

    Uh...no it doesn't. I could care less what the reason is for their shrinking
    profits and profit margins(and if you believe Nintendo that the reason is only
    because of the yen appreciation then I have a plot of ocean front property to
    sell you in Nevada). Please remember that their profits dipped 43%. Sure their
    gross profit margins increased but this is not what counts or what anybody
    cares about when looking at the bottom line. Net profit margin decreased and
    this is what counts. Anytime you have large dips in profit then your profits
    margins are also going to dip unless you have taken drastic(when dealing with
    43% decrease in profits)measures to cut cost.
  45. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    In article <DiG3e.6864$Fh4.6830@fe2.columbus.rr.com>, zork@columbus.rr.com
    says...

    >MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
    >>>I suppose if you define 'kicking ass' as 'not making a profit' then yeah,
    >>>MS will be kicking ass.
    >>>--
    >>>McQualude
    >>

    >> LOL!!! If earning 8.2 billion dollars is not a profit then paint me pink
    and
    >> call me Sally.
    >>

    >He's talking about their home and entertainment division, which has lost
    >2.1 billion dollars since the X-Box.

    Hmmmm. I recall talking about Nintendo as a whole company and not splitting it
    up into its different parts. Isn't the bottom line what matters with a
    company? Sure the Xbox just started turning profits but thats why I say they
    are going in the right direction. In the years to come things will only get
    bettter too.
  46. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    MS#1Fanboy-Pink Sally:

    >>Which you are wrong about. The year prior, 2003, the games division
    >>was Sony's biggest money maker, now their profits are down.
    >>
    > Exactly and like I said they are now entering the money making phase
    > for the PSP.

    We'll have to wait and see, but I doubt they will turn it around this
    quarter.

    >>So a loss by Sony launching a new system is going in the right
    >>direction, but a loss by Nintendo (who also launched a new system) is
    >>the wrong direction. I am awed by your nonsensical logic.
    >>
    > The PSP kicks much ass and the DS is well the DS(enough said). Like
    > I've been saying all along.

    Sony must be disappointed in the PSP launch. Instead of selling out in
    days as many predicted, there are pallet loads of PSPs left and they are
    not selling. Sony delayed their European launch so they would have
    enough product for the US launch and it turns out to have been
    unnecessary. Once the pre-orders were gone, follow-up sales have
    dwindled to a trickle. Everyone that sees a PSP is facinated by them,
    but their primary concerns are 1) durability, 2) first generation
    reliability (Sony has a bad rep for first gen products) and 3) price.

    FYI, last I heard, the DS was outselling the PSP 3:1 in Japan.

    > Just watch Sony and MS and get back to me
    > in a years time.

    That's just a cop-out because you can't back up any of the bullshit you
    write.

    >>I suppose if you define 'kicking ass' as 'not making a profit' then
    >>yeah, MS will be kicking ass.
    >
    > LOL!!! If earning 8.2 billion dollars is not a profit then paint me
    > pink and call me Sally.

    Keep squirming and backpeddling but you're still in way over your head.
    --
    McQualude
  47. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
    >>This info shows that margins for Nintendo are still growing. See page
    >>36. This info also proves a point I made earlier, that yen appreciation
    >>against the dollar accounted for their dip in profit in 2004, *not* bad
    >>sales as they had strong sales last year.
    >>

    > Uh...no it doesn't.

    Uh, yes it does. It's the source that you yourself cited and it shows
    you are wrong. I humbly suggest you stop talking about things you
    clearly don't know about.

    > I could care less what the reason is for their shrinking
    > profits and profit margins(and if you believe Nintendo that the reason is only
    > because of the yen appreciation then I have a plot of ocean front property to
    > sell you in Nevada).

    Try to understand here. Nintendo is a Japanese company. They do 70% of
    their business outside of Japan. They sell a product, say a Gamecube,
    for $100 in the US, which is a rough equivalent of the price in Japan
    (at the beginning of 2004). If by the end of 2004 the dollar has gone
    down in value (which it did, by quite a bit), but the yen doesn't, then
    suddenly that $100 they are charging in the US isn't quite the
    equivalent of the yen price of a Japanese GC, it is actually less. We
    may not notice the difference right away because prices have not been
    adjusted to compensate for the change in the value of the dollar, so it
    still seems to us that a hundred bucks is as good as it was before, but
    to a *Japanese* company that counts its profits in yen, it *does* make a
    difference and therefore their prices go down. As I said, they had
    strong sales but still the dollar depreciation cost them, and so they
    posted lower profits.

    > Please remember that their profits dipped 43%. Sure their
    > gross profit margins increased

    And you said their margins were going down. This is another thing you
    were wrong about. Thanks for citing the source to prove *me* right
    though. Keep doing things like that.

    > but this is not what counts or what anybody
    > cares about when looking at the bottom line. Net profit margin decreased and
    > this is what counts.

    Uh, source? Can you cite a source that contradicts the one you listed
    above?

    > Anytime you have large dips in profit then your profits
    > margins are also going to dip unless you have taken drastic(when dealing with
    > 43% decrease in profits)measures to cut cost.

    Egad man, you're ignoring currency fluctuations here again. There are
    other factors than the ones you list. It helps to learn some things
    before you assume you know enough to discuss them. I'm not being mean,
    I'm trying to give you good advice.

    --

  48. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    In article <Xns962DD6DDF3445mcqualude@66.26.32.8>, mcqualude@hoohoo.com
    says...

    >MS#1Fanboy-Pink Sally:
    >
    >>>Which you are wrong about. The year prior, 2003, the games division
    >>>was Sony's biggest money maker, now their profits are down.
    >>>
    >> Exactly and like I said they are now entering the money making phase
    >> for the PSP.
    >
    >We'll have to wait and see, but I doubt they will turn it around this
    >quarter.
    >
    >>>So a loss by Sony launching a new system is going in the right
    >>>direction, but a loss by Nintendo (who also launched a new system) is
    >>>the wrong direction. I am awed by your nonsensical logic.
    >>>
    >> The PSP kicks much ass and the DS is well the DS(enough said). Like
    >> I've been saying all along.
    >
    >Sony must be disappointed in the PSP launch. Instead of selling out in
    >days as many predicted, there are pallet loads of PSPs left and they are
    >not selling. Sony delayed their European launch so they would have
    >enough product for the US launch and it turns out to have been
    >unnecessary. Once the pre-orders were gone, follow-up sales have
    >dwindled to a trickle. Everyone that sees a PSP is facinated by them,
    >but their primary concerns are 1) durability, 2) first generation
    >reliability (Sony has a bad rep for first gen products) and 3) price.
    >
    >FYI, last I heard, the DS was outselling the PSP 3:1 in Japan.

    LOL!!! You heard long ago or wrong then. The PSP took the top sales spot after
    only one week of being released and has held that position until this week
    when the multi-colored DS was released over there. Even with the multi-colored
    DS they only out sold the PSP by like 12,000 units. This week the PSP
    probably will return to the crown. Its also sold more units overall so far
    this year.

    http://gamepro.com/sony/psp/games/news/43769.shtml

    >> Just watch Sony and MS and get back to me
    >> in a years time.
    >
    >That's just a cop-out because you can't back up any of the bullshit you
    >write.

    I've backed up everything I've said with facts. Please remember that you guys
    are trying to put words into my mouth about Nintendo not making a profit when
    I only said that they are heading in the wrong direction. If you think the DS
    and the Gamecube are projects that are heading Nintendo in the right direction
    then your crazy.

    >>>I suppose if you define 'kicking ass' as 'not making a profit' then
    >>>yeah, MS will be kicking ass.
    >>
    >> LOL!!! If earning 8.2 billion dollars is not a profit then paint me
    >> pink and call me Sally.
    >
    >Keep squirming and backpeddling but you're still in way over your head.
    >--
    >McQualude

    If posting facts is squirming then I guess I'm squirming away.
  49. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    > In article <Xns962DD6DDF3445mcqualude@66.26.32.8>, mcqualude@hoohoo.com
    >>FYI, last I heard, the DS was outselling the PSP 3:1 in Japan.
    >>
    > LOL!!! You heard long ago or wrong then. The PSP took the top sales spot
    > after
    > only one week of being released and has held that position until this week
    > when the multi-colored DS was released over there. Even with the
    > multi-colored
    > DS they only out sold the PSP by like 12,000 units. This week the PSP
    > probably will return to the crown. Its also sold more units overall so far
    > this year.
    >
    > http://gamepro.com/sony/psp/games/news/43769.shtml

    DAMMMMMNNNNNNN!
    Is my nose bleeding? ;-)

Console Gaming Video Games Nintendo Video Games