Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

Who'd of thunk it? Nintendo is the most profitable.

http://www.dfcint.com/news/prmar2205.html

Top Video Game Companies Generate Annual Revenue of $25 Billion
According to DFC Intelligence

San Diego, CA --March 22, 2005

A new report released by DFC Intelligence takes a close look at the top
publishers in the video game and interactive entertainment industry.
According to the report there are several factors that leading
companies share in common. These include expansion internationally,
platform and business model diversity and a focus on core franchises
that build value over time. Leading companies like Activision,
Electronic Arts and Square Enix have a global business, are bringing
core franchises to online and mobile platforms and are looking at
emerging opportunities like advertising in games.

The seventeen companies in the report reported fiscal 2004 revenue of
$24.5 billion, down 3% from fiscal 2003. So far fiscal 2005 revenue is
up 3%. The four leading companies, Sony, Nintendo, Electronic Arts and
Microsoft, dominate the market and reported fiscal 2004 revenue of
$16.7 million. In terms of revenue, Sony is the clear market leader,
having generated $45 billion in game related revenue from fiscal 1998
through 2004. However, Nintendo has been the most profitable company,
earning about $7 billion in operating income from fiscal 1998 to fiscal
2004, compared with about $4.5 billion for Sony (from its games
division) and $1.8 billion for Electronic Arts. Microsoft is clearly
an up-and-coming powerhouse, although the company has reported heavy
losses from its games division.

Beyond the top four companies, the interactive entertainment market
remains fragmented. Other then Electronic Arts solidifying its
position as the leading software publisher there has been very little
consolidation in the game market over the past few years. Electronic
Arts is in a league of its own and other software publishers are in a
tight race for a distant second place.

The new report, Market Leaders in the Video Game and Interactive
Entertainment Industry, is 750 pages and analyzes each publisher's
history, financial performance, the strengths/weaknesses of their
corporate strategy, product lineup, development teams, marketing and
distribution skills and future potential. DFC Intelligence is a market
research firm focused on video games, PC games, online games and
interactive entertainment. They offer free monthly research briefs to
anyone signing up at http://www.dfcint.com/mailing_signup.html. Other
DFC Intelligence reports include The Business of Computer and Video
Games 2004, The Impact of Licensing in Interactive Entertainment, The
Online Game Market, and. Worldwide Market Forecasts for the Video Game
and Interactive Entertainment Industry.

Contact: David Cole

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

<snip>

Old news.

In article <1112214548.993927.260140@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
holleyrp@delanet.com says...

>Who'd of thunk it? Nintendo is the most profitable.
>

>http://www.dfcint.com/news/prmar2205.html
>
>Top Video Game Companies Generate Annual Revenue of $25 Billion
>According to DFC Intelligence
>
>San Diego, CA --March 22, 2005
>
>A new report released by DFC Intelligence takes a close look at the top
>publishers in the video game and interactive entertainment industry.
>According to the report there are several factors that leading
>companies share in common. These include expansion internationally,
>platform and business model diversity and a focus on core franchises
>that build value over time. Leading companies like Activision,
>Electronic Arts and Square Enix have a global business, are bringing
>core franchises to online and mobile platforms and are looking at
>emerging opportunities like advertising in games.
>
>The seventeen companies in the report reported fiscal 2004 revenue of
>$24.5 billion, down 3% from fiscal 2003. So far fiscal 2005 revenue is
>up 3%. The four leading companies, Sony, Nintendo, Electronic Arts and
>Microsoft, dominate the market and reported fiscal 2004 revenue of
>$16.7 million. In terms of revenue, Sony is the clear market leader,
>having generated $45 billion in game related revenue from fiscal 1998
>through 2004. However, Nintendo has been the most profitable company,
>earning about $7 billion in operating income from fiscal 1998 to fiscal
>2004, compared with about $4.5 billion for Sony (from its games
>division) and $1.8 billion for Electronic Arts. Microsoft is clearly
>an up-and-coming powerhouse, although the company has reported heavy
>losses from its games division.
>
>Beyond the top four companies, the interactive entertainment market
>remains fragmented. Other then Electronic Arts solidifying its
>position as the leading software publisher there has been very little
>consolidation in the game market over the past few years. Electronic
>Arts is in a league of its own and other software publishers are in a
>tight race for a distant second place.
>
>The new report, Market Leaders in the Video Game and Interactive
>Entertainment Industry, is 750 pages and analyzes each publisher's
>history, financial performance, the strengths/weaknesses of their
>corporate strategy, product lineup, development teams, marketing and
>distribution skills and future potential. DFC Intelligence is a market
>research firm focused on video games, PC games, online games and
>interactive entertainment. They offer free monthly research briefs to
>anyone signing up at http://www.dfcint.com/mailing_signup.html. Other
>DFC Intelligence reports include The Business of Computer and Video
>Games 2004, The Impact of Licensing in Interactive Entertainment, The
>Online Game Market, and. Worldwide Market Forecasts for the Video Game
>and Interactive Entertainment Industry.
>
>Contact: David Cole

Nintendo profits are heading in the wrong direction right now though and
Sony's are heading in the right direction. Nintendo needs to embrace older
gamers if they want to keep raking in the money.

beck

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
> Who'd of thunk it? Nintendo is the most profitable.

Most likely due to their heavy investing in the US dollar and not actually
through merchandise. Nintendo lost big time a couple of years ago on the
dollar, but are now making quite a nice tody sum.

Robert P Holley wrote:
> Who'd of thunk it? Nintendo is the most profitable.

Anybody who follows the gaming news would have thunk it (or who knows a
thing or two about costs and profit). Microsoft has lost billions, and
Sony has not only taken a lot of losses too but also had major personnel
shifts and difficulty meeting sales projections in all their hardware
area. Not to mention this latest injunction, and their cancellation of
a PS3 press conference today.

--

MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
> Nintendo profits are heading in the wrong direction right now though and
> Sony's are heading in the right direction. Nintendo needs to embrace older
> gamers if they want to keep raking in the money.

Yes, in a bad year Nintendo only makes $500,000,000 in profit, whereas
Microsoft has lost 2.1 billion dollars from their home and entertainment
division (it took Christmas 2004 and Halo 2 selling six million units
for them to have one measly quarter of profit, but even then it doesn't
negate the billions in losses).

As for Sony's profits heading in the right direction, what universe are
you from? It helps to do some reading rather than make assumptions.

--

Robert P Holley wrote:
> Who'd of thunk it? Nintendo is the most profitable.

Everyone who's been paying attention?

Seriously, why do you think Billgatus wanted to buy Nintendo out? Their
game studio is on a serious profit basis. If they didn't have to worry
about the losses on the hardware they'd be a *serious* cash cow. Thing
His Billness doesn't realise is that true innovation (like shown by
Nintendo) comes from complete control with the ability to specify
whatever hardware and software combo required. Put Nintendo as a
software house of Crimoborg and would they be as free to innovate the
way they do? I don't think so. All creative control of the hardware
aspect would be lost. They'd prolly still make a shitload of money though.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

In article <0lG2e.587$Fh4.229@fe2.columbus.rr.com>, zork@columbus.rr.com
says...

>MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
>> Nintendo profits are heading in the wrong direction right now though and
>> Sony's are heading in the right direction. Nintendo needs to embrace older
>> gamers if they want to keep raking in the money.
>
>Yes, in a bad year Nintendo only makes $500,000,000 in profit, whereas
>Microsoft has lost 2.1 billion dollars from their home and entertainment
>division (it took Christmas 2004 and Halo 2 selling six million units
>for them to have one measly quarter of profit, but even then it doesn't
>negate the billions in losses).
>
>As for Sony's profits heading in the right direction, what universe are
>you from? It helps to do some reading rather than make assumptions.

Come back and see me in a year or two. Did you read the whole article where it
mentions that Microsoft will be a force to be reckoned with in the videogame
market?

Jacob Oost wrote:
> MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
>
>> Nintendo profits are heading in the wrong direction right now though
>> and Sony's are heading in the right direction. Nintendo needs to
>> embrace older gamers if they want to keep raking in the money.
>

> Yes, in a bad year Nintendo only makes $500,000,000 in profit, whereas
> Microsoft has lost 2.1 billion dollars from their home and entertainment
> division (it took Christmas 2004 and Halo 2 selling six million units

XBox 2 needs to make them some serious money. I can't see them carrying
it on through XB3 unless 2 is a winner.

"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
> [...]
>>corporate strategy, product lineup, development teams, marketing and
>>distribution skills and future potential. DFC Intelligence is a market
>>research firm focused on video games, PC games, online games and
>>interactive entertainment. They offer free monthly research briefs to
>>anyone signing up at http://www.dfcint.com/mailing_signup.html. Other
>>DFC Intelligence reports include The Business of Computer and Video
>>Games 2004, The Impact of Licensing in Interactive Entertainment, The
>>Online Game Market, and. Worldwide Market Forecasts for the Video Game
>>and Interactive Entertainment Industry.
>>
>>Contact: David Cole
>>

> Nintendo profits are heading in the wrong direction right now though and
> Sony's are heading in the right direction. Nintendo needs to embrace older
> gamers if they want to keep raking in the money.

*rolls eyes*

Heading in the wrong direction? Embrace older gamers you say.

While you say that, Nintendo will rake in the profits from multiple revenue
streams.

Sony would have to reverse their huge chunk of debt and stop making a loss
on each PSP to start "heading in the right direction" profit-wise.

In article <geR2e.28$kr.27@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net>,
richard.strong@ntl'remove'world.com says...

> [...]
>>>DFC Intelligence reports include The Business of Computer and Video
>>>Games 2004, The Impact of Licensing in Interactive Entertainment, The
>>>Online Game Market, and. Worldwide Market Forecasts for the Video Game
>>>and Interactive Entertainment Industry.
>>>
>>>Contact: David Cole
>>>

>> Nintendo profits are heading in the wrong direction right now though and
>> Sony's are heading in the right direction. Nintendo needs to embrace older
>> gamers if they want to keep raking in the money.
>>

>*rolls eyes*
>
>Heading in the wrong direction? Embrace older gamers you say.
>
>While you say that, Nintendo will rake in the profits from multiple revenue
>streams.
>

>Sony would have to reverse their huge chunk of debt and stop making a loss
>on each PSP to start "heading in the right direction" profit-wise.

Just watch. The DS will not even come close to the SP's success and we all
know how successful the Gamecube was. I love Nintendo but they are heading in
the wrong direction.

MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:

> Just watch. The DS will not even come close to the SP's success and we all
> know how successful the Gamecube was. I love Nintendo but they are heading in
> the wrong direction.

Profitability is the wrong direction? Man what planet are you on?

In article <424c1a22$0$94538$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net>,
phil_the_lick@NOSPAM.hotmail.com says...

>MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
>>
>> Just watch. The DS will not even come close to the SP's success and we all
>> know how successful the Gamecube was. I love Nintendo but they are heading
in
>> the wrong direction.
>>

>Profitability is the wrong direction? Man what planet are you on?

The planet of reality. Shrinking profit margins are not a good thing. Just
look at the stock of any company who's profits are shrinking. Yes they still
made a profit but when your profits are shrinking that means you are going in
the wrong direction. The best thing would be to have profit along with
growth/increased profit margins. Thats all I said was that they are going in
the wrong direction. Please read the following article.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3137915

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 16:21:04 +0000, MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:

> The planet of reality. Shrinking profit margins are not a good thing. Just
> look at the stock of any company who's profits are shrinking. Yes they still
> made a profit but when your profits are shrinking that means you are going in
> the wrong direction. The best thing would be to have profit along with
> growth/increased profit margins. Thats all I said was that they are going in
> the wrong direction. Please read the following article.

He's right. You have to have good margins. with low margins a
shift in sales could take you from black to red.

Take the airlines. They had low margins and after 9/11 it only
took a few days of 0 sales to put them in the red.

> In article <424c1a22$0$94538$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net>,
> phil_the_lick@NOSPAM.hotmail.com says...
>>
>>MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
>>>
>>> Just watch. The DS will not even come close to the SP's success and we
>>> all
>>> know how successful the Gamecube was. I love Nintendo but they are
>>> heading
> in
>>> the wrong direction.
>>>

>>Profitability is the wrong direction? Man what planet are you on?
>

> The planet of reality. Shrinking profit margins are not a good thing. Just
> look at the stock of any company who's profits are shrinking. Yes they
> still
> made a profit but when your profits are shrinking that means you are going
> in
> the wrong direction. The best thing would be to have profit along with
> growth/increased profit margins. Thats all I said was that they are going
> in
> the wrong direction. Please read the following article.
>
> http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3137915

Ah, If i remember correctly this has to do with the instability of the
Japanese economy, currency, exchange rates or something or other. I'm not
exactly clear as the exact reason, but I do remember it was out of Nintendo
(and other Japanese company's) hands. They still made a profit, remember?
Not a loss.. a profit, even in the face of this Japanese financial crisis.

I do believe the Nintendo DS is based off old technology that presumably
went through R&D a while ago. So, I'm presuming they've already covered the
R&D costs.

MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
>>Profitability is the wrong direction? Man what planet are you on?
>

> The planet of reality.

Really?

> Shrinking profit margins are not a good thing.

The operative words there are "profit margins". OK they might be
shrinking but they are competing in a marketplace where the other two
players are making losses. A shrinking profit is still a profit.

> Just look at the stock of any company who's profits are shrinking.
Yes they still
> made a profit but when your profits are shrinking that means you are going in
> the wrong direction.

And what does it mean for a loss oh wise one? You call yourself MS
fanboy #1 but what's your expert market prediction if MS do the same
next time round as they do this time huh? From the gaming industry POV
its MS who are taking the big risk, not Nintendo. Nintendo have made a
profit this time round, MS have not.

> The best thing would be to have profit along with
> growth/increased profit margins.

If your granny had balls she'd be your granddad. A grandparent is still
a grandparent. Surreal huh?

> Thats all I said was that they are going in the wrong direction.

How? They made a profit this time round. Enough of a profit for them to
invest in another go. 'nuff said.

> Please read the following article.
>
> http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3137915

Why bother? I know what I like. I buy what I like. Just like the rest of
the VG consumers. Companies that show profitability will grow. The
amount of profitibility is a matter for the stockholders. If you had $1M
to invest in a console manufacturer for the next round who would you bet on?

MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
>>Yes, in a bad year Nintendo only makes $500,000,000 in profit, whereas
>>Microsoft has lost 2.1 billion dollars from their home and entertainment
>>division (it took Christmas 2004 and Halo 2 selling six million units
>>for them to have one measly quarter of profit, but even then it doesn't
>>negate the billions in losses).
>>
>>As for Sony's profits heading in the right direction, what universe are
>>you from? It helps to do some reading rather than make assumptions.
>

> Come back and see me in a year or two.

Good comeback.
> Did you read the whole article where it
> mentions that Microsoft will be a force to be reckoned with in the videogame
> market?

Ah, so you find one business analyst who says something favorable about
the company you love, and this means something? Other analysts see MS
on a decline, as they are losing marketshare in the server business and
they are starting to see decline in their desktop OS market. Their home
and entertainment division is losing a ton of money, their office
division is seeing major competition from open source solutions, and
even your little snippet that mentions MS becoming a force to reckon
with in the console business admits that they are leaking money. Their
console business better start picking up or a lot of MS bigwigs are
going to want to pull the plug before any more billions are lost. Just
look at what they've spent, they were supposed to have at least half the
market by now, and they're still a distant second to Sony.

--

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

In article <Go03e.231$gz3.102@fe1.columbus.rr.com>, zork@columbus.rr.com
says...

>MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
>>>Yes, in a bad year Nintendo only makes $500,000,000 in profit, whereas
>>>Microsoft has lost 2.1 billion dollars from their home and entertainment
>>>division (it took Christmas 2004 and Halo 2 selling six million units
>>>for them to have one measly quarter of profit, but even then it doesn't
>>>negate the billions in losses).
>>>
>>>As for Sony's profits heading in the right direction, what universe are
>>>you from? It helps to do some reading rather than make assumptions.
>>

>> Come back and see me in a year or two.
>
>Good comeback.
>> Did you read the whole article where it
>> mentions that Microsoft will be a force to be reckoned with in the
videogame
>> market?
>>

>Ah, so you find one business analyst who says something favorable about
>the company you love, and this means something? Other analysts see MS
>on a decline, as they are losing marketshare in the server business and
>they are starting to see decline in their desktop OS market. Their home
>and entertainment division is losing a ton of money, their office
>division is seeing major competition from open source solutions, and
>even your little snippet that mentions MS becoming a force to reckon
>with in the console business admits that they are leaking money. Their
>console business better start picking up or a lot of MS bigwigs are
>going to want to pull the plug before any more billions are lost. Just
>look at what they've spent, they were supposed to have at least half the
>market by now, and they're still a distant second to Sony.

Like I said...come back in a year or two.

In article <424c66ee$0$63416$ed2e19e4@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net>,
phil_the_lickWHOHATESSPAMESOREMOVETHECAPS@hotmail.com says...

>MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
>>>Profitability is the wrong direction? Man what planet are you on?
>>

>> The planet of reality.
>
>Really?
>

>> Shrinking profit margins are not a good thing.
>
>The operative words there are "profit margins". OK they might be
>shrinking but they are competing in a marketplace where the other two
>players are making losses. A shrinking profit is still a profit.

And thats what I said.

> > Just look at the stock of any company who's profits are shrinking.
>Yes they still
>> made a profit but when your profits are shrinking that means you are going
in
>> the wrong direction.
>
>And what does it mean for a loss oh wise one? You call yourself MS
>fanboy #1 but what's your expert market prediction if MS do the same
>next time round as they do this time huh? From the gaming industry POV
>its MS who are taking the big risk, not Nintendo. Nintendo have made a
>profit this time round, MS have not.

You have to take big risk to make big money. Thats why Nintendo is heading in
the wrong direction and will continue to do so.

>> The best thing would be to have profit along with
>> growth/increased profit margins.
>
>If your granny had balls she'd be your granddad. A grandparent is still
>a grandparent. Surreal huh?

Like I said, they are heading in the wrong direction and will continue to do
so. Surreal huh!

>> Thats all I said was that they are going in the wrong direction.
>
>How? They made a profit this time round. Enough of a profit for them to
>invest in another go. 'nuff said.

I thought I just explained it but for those of you with short attention spans
here it is again. Shrinking profits. And what do shrinking profits eventually
become if the direction is not changed. Bingo, LOSSES.

> > Please read the following article.
>>
>> http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3137915
>
>Why bother? I know what I like. I buy what I like. Just like the rest of
>the VG consumers. Companies that show profitability will grow. The
>amount of profitibility is a matter for the stockholders. If you had $1M
>to invest in a console manufacturer for the next round who would you bet on?

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

> Nintendo profits are heading in the wrong direction right now though
> and Sony's are heading in the right direction.

Prove it.
--
McQualude

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

In article <Xns962AEF18C3F64mcqualude@66.26.32.8>, mcqualude@hoohoo.com
says...

>> Nintendo profits are heading in the wrong direction right now though
>> and Sony's are heading in the right direction.
>
>Prove it.
>--
>McQualude

Look for the link I posted. I'm not going to hold your hand.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

> I thought I just explained it but for those of you with short
> attention spans here it is again. Shrinking profits. And what do
> shrinking profits eventually become if the direction is not changed.
> Bingo, LOSSES.

Speaking of shrinking profits...
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=MSFT&d=t
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=SNE.TO&d=t

You should probably quit before making yourself look even more foolish.
--
McQualude

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

MS#1Fanboy-JoJo:

> Look for the link I posted. I'm not going to hold your hand.

That link makes you look foolish. Look for the link I posted, which makes
you look even more foolish. Rather than trying to hold my hand, you should
educate yourself on a subject before blathering about it.
--
Mac Cool

> In article <Xns962AEF18C3F64mcqualude@66.26.32.8>, mcqualude@hoohoo.com
> says...
>>
>>> Nintendo profits are heading in the wrong direction right now though
>>> and Sony's are heading in the right direction.
>>
>>Prove it.
>>--
>>McQualude
>

> Look for the link I posted. I'm not going to hold your hand.

You can't just keep on telling people to look at that 1up article, all it
says is Nintendo's profits are down by 43% followed by a bunch of inane
comments. It doesn't explain why.

Yen assets being measured in Dollar value and the falling value of the
Dollar against the Yen resulted in this massive cut in profits for Nintendo.
Just relax, it's not indicative of anything.

From one of the article's that McQualude posted about Sony's complete lack
of profits for one quarter: "That helped make up for declines in operating
income due to the fluctuation of the yen." Due to the fluctuation of the
yen... I'll repeat that for you.

Fluctuation of the yen
Fluctuation of the yen
Fluctuation of the yen
Fluctuation of the yen
Fluctuation of the yen
Fluctuation of the yen
Fluctuation of the yen

Have you got it yet?

In article <Xns962B324CFCBCMacCool@130.133.1.4>, Mac@2cool.com says...

>MS#1Fanboy-JoJo:
>
>> Look for the link I posted. I'm not going to hold your hand.
>
>That link makes you look foolish. Look for the link I posted, which makes
>you look even more foolish. Rather than trying to hold my hand, you should
>educate yourself on a subject before blathering about it.
>--
>Mac Cool

I only stated that Nintendo was heading in the wrong direction. You don't
think shrinking profits are a bad thing? Keep in school you might just learn
something. Oh and crummy products means that things will still be sliding.