Tags:
  • Routers
  • Cache
  • DNS
  • Servers
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
October 19, 2010 5:00:48 PM

Recently found out that Verizon, my DSL provider, uses its DNS servers for searchtool/advertisment . I simply entered the addresses for Google servers but now I learn about DNS caching.

Seeking guidance on whether DNS caching is the best and current way to get rapid resolution. I have a Cisco/Linsys WRV200 business class router.

Hoping for an informed reply

More about : dns caching

October 21, 2010 5:54:12 PM

I don't really see a question here. Resolution to what?
m
l
October 28, 2010 9:41:01 AM

I have seen a number of posts on the question of using DNS caching to get faster page resolution. From the thread, the suggestion is that caching is a technique above that of simply naming a primary and secondary DNS server. There is actually software that identifies the fastest performing DNS servers. Wanted an informed opinion outside of that thread
m
l
October 28, 2010 3:27:45 PM

DNS caching is just that. Once it resolves it, it'll cache what it found. The owner will update the record and the cache will be updated as needed.

Instead of hitting the server each time for a website like www.google.com, it caches the info. If that site changes, the cache will be updated.

No reason is creating unnecessary internet traffic. Your computer will also cache DNS entries. If it fails, it'll send the request to another DNS server in which the cache on that DNS server is updated along with your computer.

Google it.
m
l
!