Sign in with
Your question

Questions about this gaming build before purchasing

Last response: in Systems
August 31, 2011 5:59:18 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Buying parts over the next few weeks. Started purchasing already.

Budget Range: ~1200-1500. Lower is of course better.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming

Parts Not Required: PSU - 700w OCZ ModXtreme, monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, headset, OS, disc drive, hard drive.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon.com/Tigerdirect.com/Newegg.com (I try to avoid NewEgg because they charge tax for TN, but I always end up having to buy from them some parts, so its ok.)

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: I'm going with an Intel processor for this build.

Overclocking: Probably a little

SLI or Crossfire: Crossfire in the future

Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050 (I think) but I also have a 55" Samsung LED that I will want to try it out on. 1920x1080

Parts Puchased:
8GB (2x 4GB) Corsair CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9 Vengeance 4GB DDR3 RAM - PC12800, 1600MHz
Sapphire 6950 2GB Toxic Edition

I have pretty much decided on an i5 2500K cpu. Everything I've read says current AMDs can't compete with 2500K, and the 2600K isn't worth the $100 bump for gaming.

My questions come to Motherboard, CPU Cooler, and Case.

I've been looking at the H80 as the cooler, but some people think that the air coolers do a better job with the 2500K. Anyone have personal experience?

Motherboards considering:
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 or Asus P8Z68-V LE
MSI Z68A-GD65 (B3)

People seem to like that ASRock board, and thinking about giving it a shot. I've always gone with Asus or Gigabyte in the past, but I'm not sure.

Case considering:
Obsidian 650D

Would this case get too hot with CF dual 6950s? I love the look of it. I know the HAF X gets better airflow, but I don't like the looks of it as much.

More about : questions gaming build purchasing

August 31, 2011 6:11:02 PM

Well iv been reading a lot..and i had considered the same MSI board as you...but Why_me steered me clear and had me get the Asrock Z68...its ivy bridge ready for the future...and from what i read its the best mb for the money right now. Im still trying to find out how stable the bios is. Im Crossfiring 6870's and im going with a Coolermaster stormscout..that case there seems a bit spendy...the scouts about $80 and seems to be made quite sturdy. As for the Heatsink for the 2500k, the coolermaster hyper 212 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $28 seems to be one of the more popular.
August 31, 2011 6:37:55 PM

nkseal said:
Well iv been reading a lot..and i had considered the same MSI board as you...but Why_me steered me clear and had me get the Asrock Z68...its ivy bridge ready for the future...and from what i read its the best mb for the money right now. Im still trying to find out how stable the bios is. Im Crossfiring 6870's and im going with a Coolermaster stormscout..that case there seems a bit spendy...the scouts about $80 and seems to be made quite sturdy. As for the Heatsink for the 2500k, the coolermaster hyper 212 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $28 seems to be one of the more popular.

The ASRock may be my choice. I have just never gone with that brand before. Might be time to give them a try.

I'll probably go with that cooler. Reviews seem really good.

I'm ready to go to an aluminum case at this point, so I don't mind putting some money into it, and I like the all black interior and simple outside. I'm just worried about heat with CF 6950s.
August 31, 2011 7:21:37 PM

I dont think heat will be to much of an issue. just have a few fans to vent it and you should be alright.
!