Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
BIOS: Hewlett-Packard 786B2 v2.44 08/07/2008
Memory Modules: 2048 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
Slot 'DIMM1' thru Slot 'DIMM4' has 512 MB
Processor: 3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Operating System: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3
Hard Drive: WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 [Hard drive] (320.07 GB) -- drive 0, rev 01.03E01,

POST booting problem:
The following describes the problem that my PC is experiencing:
- Turn the computer on.
- Power On Self Test starts.
- 5 sec. later on the top left-top hand side appears the graphics card description (company, model, etc.)
- 3 sec. later the HP INVENT and INTEL Pentium 4 logo appears. At the bottom of the screen it displays
<F9=Boot Menu>, <F10=Setup Menu>, <F12=Network Menu>. NOTE: if I press F9, F10, or F12, the
monitor turns black and a horizontal line blinks on top-left side of the screen.
- Computer stops/freezes for 2.5 minutes.
- Randomly, after waiting for 2 minutes, not all the time, the computer starts the Windows Booting (I hear
a click sound coming from the HDD) and I am able to work with the PC with no problems until Y turned
off.
- Randomly, after waiting for 2 minutes if the PC does not perform the Windows booting, then the monitor
turns black and a blinking line blinks on the left-top side of the screen and stays indefinitely.

Things I did to try to solve the problem:
Updated the BIOS
I tried to reset the BIOS to the default values by pressing the CMOS button for 5 sec., but never was able to get into the BIOS setup utility. I tried different ways (pressing F1, F2, F10, Del, after turning PC on) but I was not able to open/get into the BIOS utility.

Please tell me how can I force to the PC to enter the BIOS setup utility? I tried, like I say before, all the recomendations of HP and other companies, but I did not have any success. I thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

mreca

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011

The symptoms that my system is experience has nothing to do with th HDD. Thanks for you recomendations anyway.

mreca

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
I continue having the same problem, sometime XP boots sometime the booting stops after the POST booting. It seems that the BIOS can not find where the XP booting instructions are. I still can not get into the BIOS no matter what I do. If you resd this message plese help. Thanks.

anon_user

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012

Your video card requires a bigger power supply. Your computer comes with a 240 watt powersupply: https://h10057.www1.hp.com/ecomcat/hpcatalog/specs/provisioner/05/DG061A.htm Your video card requires a minimum 350 watt power supply: http://www.gpureview.com/GeForce-7600-GS-AGP-card-434.html